Oil canister bolt

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDIMD

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just picked up a 1994. While changing the oil, I noticed the bolt that holds the oil canister on is pretty much stripped. Before I take a vice grip to it, can you tell me where I can get a replacement bolt as it looks specialized from the manual. I tried on ebay but maybe I do not have the right description.

Btw, I live in the Philippines so dont have many local options to pick up parts.

Thanks
Don

I have plenty of good used bolts on hand and can even get a new aftermarket bolt. BUT, I would take the bolt off and simply have an old socket welded to it. This will make it very easy for future oil changes anyway.

Convert it to a newer style oil filter. That or you can order it from Yamaha. Look at the part fiches. Sean is also great to deal with.

BUT, I would take the bolt off and simply have an old socket welded to it. This will make it very easy for future oil changes anyway.

That is so simple, yet brilliant. I think I am going to do that when I do my next oil change.

I would take the bolt off and simply have an old socket welded to it. This will make it very easy for future oil changes anyway.

That's awesome. Love it!

Some good old boy ingenuity.

Reminds me I when my grandad showed me how to loosen an oil filter with a piece of bailing twine.

Yep, weld a socket or a nut on it. Stop by my place, we have plenty of nuts in my neighborhood :rofl_200::rofl_200:

Don,
Some of the above methods mentioned will work well, weld a nut, socket, convert to the spin-on etc. But if you decide to replace the oil filter manifold bolt make sure that your replacement is for a V-MAX engine (OEM PART ONLY) not for a venture engine, etc.. I went down that road only to find out that some of the venture manifold bolts do not have the same size porting & will starve your V-Max engine of oil, and the rest is bad news!

Interesting. Are you saying that the porting is larger or smaller? Will have to try and get one side by side to see the difference.

Sean,
My experience with this issue several years ago was I had a rebuilt stock motor that I had been running around on with 4K + miles on it & everything was good. Then I spotted a chrome filter housing & manifold bolt on E-bay of course I couldn't hold back, (I've been known to like these shiny things) so one day just before an VMOA event I changed the oil/filter & installed this chrome housing & bolt then off to the event. approximately 80 miles later WHAMO this engine was gone! (not to say we were just doing the speed limit) Once I got home & tore into the motor I try & understand what went wrong. I found that both crankshaft pins 1&2 3&4 were discolored blue all the way back to the castings. I started to dig back through & identify what had changed? Once I performed a measurement test of the new chromed manifold bolt port sizes vs. the old manifold bolt I discovered a difference. As I remember I think the old bolt port sizes were about 1mm~2mm larger in diameter each vs. then the new one. I did a V-Boost article on this I'll try to find it & send you the file.

I would not expect the relief valve size to be a real issue on it. The flow may be slightly reduced but there should have been more then enough flow anyway for normal RPM riding. Had this happened at a drag strip situation where you were at sustained peak rpm then I could see running dry to be an issue.

While you could say it was like at the drag strip! Marco & I were blasting through all the gears @ max RPM when this happened, I still beat him then were winding things down when the engine locked-up. I found the article it is on page #8 of the 2007 spring V-Boost, the measurements of the new bolt had 5mm ports the original bolt had 7mm ports.

Maybe the reduced size port led to high pressure and failure at the oring as well possibly escalating things?

I wonder if you were a victim of crappy aftermarket machining as the !200 & 1300 Ventures and VMax all have the same part number for that part? :confused2:

I just checked also & yes the part numbers are the same for both the V-Max & Vanture. Now that I think about it, I'm wondering if the manifold bolt I used was from an old 1100cc? The bolt was slightly shorter then the OEM?

Latest posts

Back