Oil Leak on Intake

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RagingMain

Reaction score
I noticed an oil leak on the left front cylinder under the intake where it mates up to the engine. The bolt there is pretty darn tight so I don't want to tighten it anymore for fear of striping it out. I know oil comes up through that bolt hole just don't know if it goes anywhere. (other than all over my engine):damn angry:

Is there a way to stop this without pulling everything. :bang head: It just started today after I had to pull everything to replace the o-rings and adjust the lower stop on the V-Boost. It was up too high and keeping the V-Boost open. Had the bike for almost 2 years now and this is the first time I noticed it, plus the two sides weren't opening at the same time either. Neeways...

Is there anything I can just apply to the bolt and run it back down to seal it up???:ummm::confused2:

Cheers

Yep, get yourself some high temp silicone, or RTV and you will be in business! I'm getting molested by my wife.... sorry guys you are in 2nd place here aklsgha,smhef

oh yea!!!!
aslkjhsadf,hksf

You can remove the bolt and let it drain. It goes into the bolt access for the head stud under the cams so there is going to be a bit in there. When it's drained you can use silicon if you want and even a copper washer under the bolt head.

Sean

Yep, get yourself some high temp silicone, or RTV and you will be in business! I'm getting molested by my wife.... sorry guys you are in 2nd place here aklsgha,smhef

oh yea!!!!
aslkjhsadf,hksf

Jeez Jeff, I come into this thread 5 minutes after you "molestation" post and yer back on already!

5 minutes Jeff???.....................??????????? :ummm: :ummm: :ummm:
aslkjhsadf,hksf

Silicone Silicone:bang head: Do you ever see any Silicone applied from the factory?? NO! Ya wanna know why? Cause it gets into the oil and then gets stuck in your oil screen pickup or the small oiling ports rods, crank journals etc.. STOP saying to use silicone every damn time there is a leak. fix the damn problem correct,, hell just take a spackling knife and smear JB weld all over the engine till it stops leaking if your going to rig shit!!

How about some copper washer or even felt? then torque em down?

If that doesnt work just start brushing on some rubber cement geeeeze

Thanks guys for your help. I have always been hesitant about using RTV or silicone. I guess I was just hoping against hope. Will see if there are o-rings/copper washers small enough to fit in there and not lift up the intake from the engine. That was my main concern. The oil isn't coming from where the bolt sits on the intake, the oil is coming from where the intake sits on the engine. Anything I put in that hole needs to be big enough to seal but small enough to still let the intake sit flush.

I will follow the advice of my Grandpa.
"If you gonna do it boy, do it right"

Just sucks I have to tear it all back down to fix it though.

Lankee, I was hoping there was something other than RTV that wouldn't get loose and get all over the place, something I didn't know about that would help without pulling it all back apart. No need to get your panties in a bunch :biglaugh: BTW the gauges are awesome

Fargo, there's an o-ring between the intake and engine. Might be beneficial to replace all four.

Fargo, there's an o-ring between the intake and engine. Might be beneficial to replace all four.

Mark, I did replace them when I had it apart the first time. You have any idea how hard it is to find o-rings that fit??? Not an easy task and since I use my bike to commute I couldn't wait to order them from anyone. Think I spent more time and money in gas running around town just to find a place that had the right size.

Ohh I misread your problem Fargo I thought you had oil seapage from the bolt hole coming past the threads....

Hmm this is either.....
Bad O-rings or your not torquing all intakes down evenly..

Are you leaving all the rubber boot clamps loose when installing the manifolds? Torque evenly and then mess with your rubber boot clamps.
I use vaseline to hold the o-ring in place when installing the manifolds.
Is it possible you pinched an o ring?

I would not use anything besides the o ring to seal it. If it sealed it at one time it should seal it again... yeah yeah I know thats a no shit batman...
But a lot of people will rig shit in order to mask the problem, which you know as well as I do leads to more problems down the line..

Possibly a cracked intake manifold? Hairline cracks are hard to see,, I may have a few let me know and I will mail them to you if you want to try new manifolds. I know i have atleast 2 good ones but I believe one had a broke ear for the chrome plastic cover.

When I removed the intakes to replace the o-rings, there appeared to be a thin sealant outside of the o-rings. When I re-assembled, I used Yamabond4 in the same area.

Donn
I think you read it right the first time. It is coming from the bolt passed the threads. The outside bolt that holds the intake manifold down is leaking oil. The oil is seeping out from under the intake. It is the hole Sean was talking about that leads down to the hole for the head bolts. I should have posted a pic the first time. I did have all the rubber boots loose when re-installing the intake and tightened them up after.

Attachments

• IMAG0020.jpg
    IMAG0020.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 32
By the way yankee, In fact the newer yamaha engines do have silicon placed on certain areas. Maybe you just haven't had a new enough engine come into your hands. They finally learned that silicon is not an engines enemy if given in the proper application and amount.

Sean Morley

You can remove the bolt and let it drain. It goes into the bolt access for the head stud under the cams so there is going to be a bit in there. When it's drained you can use silicon if you want and even a copper washer under the bolt head.

Sean

So I am getting oil coming out of here on mine. My situation is a little different though. The hex bolts that came out of the holes where the oil comes from were about half as long as the other hex bolts, is this normal?

Also, when I first noticed the bolts were half as long, I thought I had broken one of them off in the hole because of the rtv that was on the bottom of the screw. I went to clean the area so I could try to remove what I thought was the remainder of the screw, I realized that it was light gray RTV when I wiped over the hole and the small piece of RTV (just small enough to fit through the threads) disappeared into the hole with the oil.

My question is should I just drain the oil and hope for the best? I don't know the direction of the oil flow within the cylinder head but I am hoping that it will just make its way down to the pan and flow out when I change the oil for the spring.

Any ideas or input?

Thad

Thad, those two bolts are supposed to be shorter. Even draining the oil I don't think that piece would come out because oil tends to stay up there. If it was that small of a piece it should just cycle back to the pan and stay there. Then, maybe you can get it when you drain.

Thanks, Mark. Thats pretty much what I was trying to find out but I couldn't get out the words. I'll stop freakin out over here and get it back together sometime soon so I can get out and ride since it's peaking 50 degrees here now.

I ended up getting all new carb joints and o-rings for the intake since the joints on the v-boost were almost completely ripped in half. Hopefully she'll run ALOT better this summer.

Thad

Latest posts

Back