Oil Pressure Gage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemax04

Reaction score
For those that bought a bigger tach and don't use the small one in the instrument panel, why not replace it with something useful. What better place for an oil pressure gage so you can keep an eye on the pressure all the time and soon you will learn when the oil is hot enough to twist the throttle. I went and installed one that works with a pressure hose going to the gage. Simpler might be to get an electrically operated one with sending unit. A gage that goes up to 60 lbs is sufficient.

If I'm not mistaken, an oil plug from a Kawasaki is used, drilled and tapped for the sending unit. On the VMOAtech list, Kenny Patch used to sell these kits and probably still has some finished plugs for a song. I'm sure others on here are also familiar with OP gages and the hardware needed.

Hey, if you have the time and the interest, why not give it a go? It's mucho different than where most have their gage.

Attachments

• OPGauge.jpg
    OPGauge.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 158
  • OilPressureTap.jpg
    OilPressureTap.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 128
I bought one that fit directly into the galley and was viewable just behind the waterpump cover. I liked the gauge to stay out of the way. For me, I baby it for the first 15-20 minutes. My gauge was adjustable so I could glance down and view easily enough at stop lights. I eventually took it off because I always had a slight leak, even with new copper gaskets. I figured I would just wait the 15-20 minutes before winding the motor up. Good post Mike.

BTW, a Yami mech saw that guage of mine and thought it was for a turbo. Too funny.

I did my guage using the factory oil plug; drilling the hole out to a size appropriate for a 3/8 NPT tap.....

I like that location your using for the gauge...

maleko89 said:
I bought one that fit directly into the galley and was viewable just behind the waterpump cover. I liked the gauge to stay out of the way. For me, I baby it for the first 15-20 minutes. My gauge was adjustable so I could glance down and view easily enough at stop lights. I eventually took it off because I always had a slight leak, even with new copper gaskets. I figured I would just wait the 15-20 minutes before winding the motor up. Good post Mike.

BTW, a Yami mech saw that guage of mine and thought it was for a turbo. Too funny.
And then the dealers wonder when we do our own work with their vast knowledge of the Max. When I first bought the bike new, I was led to believe that an oil gage is a "must have". In the two/three years of owning the bike I have a much better feel of what the Max is all about and what mods are necessary. I'm saving my pennies for the new and improved Max so I can start the mods all over again. LOL

Rusty, I was going to do the same thing and was talked out of it on Yahoo because they believe there is not enough meat on the standard plug. Perhaps they went with a 1/4" pipe thread?

I would get a 0-100 psi gauge.Mine pegs a 100psi gauge to the pin when cold.
Rod at Pro Chassie Racing also showed me how to boost my pressure even higher very easily in the oil pump pressure bypass valve.I haven't tried it yet but it should be even higher.I also got to check how my o-ring fix from last spring worked out after riding all summer.It was still in there nice and tight.

[/QUOTE]Rusty, I was going to do the same thing and was talked out of it on Yahoo because they believe there is not enough meat on the standard plug. Perhaps they went with a 1/4" pipe thread?[/QUOTE]

I may not be right about the 3/8" size. The drill I used actually just turned the hex hole into a round hole without increasing the outside diameter, I then followed that with a Bottom tap. I did not drill it all the way thru. the bottom of the plug was drilled thru with a 1/8" drill bit, just enough to allow pressure through. Been on there for two years and has not leaked yet but you are righ as it is a marginal amount of meat there.

Last edited:
Sorry,I know who you are.It gets confusing when people don't use their real names.Maybye we should have a VMF weekend in Omaha Nebraska (Rumble in the flatlands)and we can all meet.

shawn kloker said:
Sorry,I know who you are.It gets confusing when people don't use their real names.Maybye we should have a VMF weekend in Omaha Nebraska (Rumble in the flatlands)and we can all meet.

Good idea. It's only 996 miles from me :)

Actually 996 is only about a 75 miles farther than El Paso which is still in Texas.

LOL, fine with me. My driveway needs work anyway. We can BBQ, get some good 'ol Nebraska beef.

shawn kloker said:
I would get a 0-100 psi gauge.Mine pegs a 100psi gauge to the pin when cold.
Rod at Pro Chassie Racing also showed me how to boost my pressure even higher very easily in the oil pump pressure bypass valve.I haven't tried it yet but it should be even higher.I also got to check how my o-ring fix from last spring worked out after riding all summer.It was still in there nice and tight.
That's an interesting read. The many years this has been hashed over on the Yahoo lists, never heard of anybody's going over 60lbs. Hmmmmmm

Back