Oil Pressure

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.n2o

Reaction score
Just wondering what standard oil psi is on a vmax. Hot, cold, idle, and off idle. I'm ordering a oil psi guage kit from cycle one off and was just curious what kind of numbers I should see....Thanks in advance for any input

I just put one on. 40 at idle cold, then 20ish hot at idle. 60 cold then 40 ish at 4k rpm warmed up is what I get. Mines a 85 with a little under 8k original miles, 20w40 oil changed about 100 miles ago.
Hope this helps!

My oil psi drops as the motor comes up to temp an when at normal temp at an idle my gauge show 1 to 2 psi, what i was told to look for is when you burp the throttle how fast the oil psi comes up on the gauge, you want instant needle responce.

Thanks. Had the bike for 12 years and it runs great. I'm starting to lose sleep over the o-ring on the oil pump reading all the past threads on the issue. I just ordered the guage today.

If you're getting 20 psi hot idle I think a better gauge is in order.
A fresh engine and a pro oiler or hd oiler won't get you more than maybe 10psi hot idle tops.

It takes a lot
Longer to heat the oil than it does the engine coolant. Minimum oil pressure/max oil temp on mine has always come after at least a 20 mile ride and no sooner.

After warm up, a little less than 10# per K/rpm.....ex: 37# - 40# @ 4,000 rpm.

Hot @ idle.....I don't look at it! :biglaugh:

After warm up, a little less than 10# per K/rpm.....ex: 37# - 40# @ 4,000 rpm.

Hot @ idle.....I don't look at it! :biglaugh:
I hear ya. Sounds like once they're hot, 2-5 @ idle is pretty common. That's not alot for a plain bearing motor. The old suzuki GS's are roller bearing and they have #2 at idle. I'm just gonna look for fast needle response like 1967 vmax said. I have a buddy that will not put a oil psi guage on his bike. He said he's better off not knowing as long as it's not knocking :biglaugh:

Most of the gauges read 2 psi on the 100 psi gauges but some bikes will peg a 60 psi gauge
Some bikes when hot show nothing at all . So while the bike so on center stand start the bike then look in oil level
Glass you should see it drop a lot now as it warm's up if it comes way up in the glass like just a little bit off were
It is full cold then there is a good chance the o-ring is blown it was that way on the bike i worked on and yes it was bad. I wish they made a gauge that was went from 0-80 psi and read 1psi indicated lines but have not found
One yet. Good luck.:)

If you're getting 20 psi hot idle I think a better gauge is in order.
A fresh engine and a pro oiler or hd oiler won't get you more than maybe 10psi hot idle tops.

+1

I thought I had a picture of the gauges while warm, here's one getting ready to go for a ride. Bike cold and warming up.
When its warm it shows around 10 psi-ish with a HD oiler.

instruments.jpg

Very low pressure at warm idle. Jack the idle up a little and you may see 2-5 psi at 1100-1200.

Low Pressure, High Volume is what the Vmax Oiling System is. This is after Kawi O-Rings in both.
My 89 reads a few pounds higher than the 94 but I believe someone had modified the Pump in a past life.

So the general consensus is 2-5 psi @ hot idle is common depending on oil weight ?

If my O-ring blew out would a COO gauge still read reasonable pressure? I've got some strange sounds coming from the right front cylinder and the oil light is on just sitting still at idle. I don't want to run this thing at all if it's going to damage things.

I don't know about the oil pressure but the oil light is a level switch only and not pressure related. Maybe if the oil is all getting pumped up to the top of the motor and not finding it's way back down quick enough? Kind of unlikely, if the o ring is blown it's going to blow the oil right back in to the bottom of the motor.

Did all this come on suddenly and at the same time?

If my O-ring blew out would a COO gauge still read reasonable pressure? I've got some strange sounds coming from the right front cylinder and the oil light is on just sitting still at idle. I don't want to run this thing at all if it's going to damage things.

I believe the oil pressure will read low with a blown out o-ring....the system isn't tight and not capable of building good pressure, oil starving portions of the motor.

the oil light is a level switch only and not pressure related. if the o ring is blown it's going to blow the oil right back in to the bottom of the motor.

Did all this come on suddenly and at the same time?

Well, it's the only thing I've seen since it started yesterday. The oil light just stays on. Unfortunately the guy painted right over the sight glass in the oil pan, so it's pretty hard to figure out how much oil is actually in there. I'm going to drain and refill tomorrow either way.

I believe the oil pressure will read low with a blown out o-ring....the system isn't tight and not capable of building good pressure, oil starving portions of the motor.

The thing I can't figure out is how the COO gauge reads 20-30 psi right at startup. I've not let it run for more than about 30 seconds at a time just in case there's actually no oil getting up into the motor.

I do have to pull the exhaust to strip the paint that's randomly distributed on the pipes. It does sound normal to me, just with loud valve noise especially from the front head. I'll go look for some more videos of stock piped bikes running to see if if sounds way off. My other bike seems quieter, but it has that Hindle pipe on it, so there's really no telling how loud it actually is. The '86 valves almost sound like little hammers, though. That's what's got me worried.:ummm:

So it sounds about like this, I think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TCmBhD01Lc

Maybe closer to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4usuzrFjTQ

"Noise from the right-front cyl (especially any kind of knocking)" is not a good sign! It could be a rod suddenly developing another mm or two of up & down clearance, and that means $$$. I wouldn't run it again until you can get someone who knows our bikes can look at it. Of course, once the rod begins knocking, it's too-late anyway.

Does the oil light come on and stay on when just turning it all to the run position but NOIT starting it?

Or does it only come on after you start it?

I'd do whatever is needed to get the paint off the sight glass for starters....

20-30 at start up, idling, with cold oil is pretty normal although I'm sure you already knew that....

I'm no expert on engine noise but those clips sound like typical Vmax valve noise except a lot louder than normal....

Latest posts

Back