OK serous question now about shocks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxcruzer

Reaction score
If a guy wanted to invest in a decent set of rear shocks for his Max what would they be? Keep in mind that this guy isn't rich but can definitely lean toward something that will pay off in quality and ride. I read a few threads but they never ended with a definate on whether the ZRX or the KYB's were the right size and or what years fit for stock length.

ken, if you are interested in some blacked out 440's maybe we can chat.

Works Performance Street Tracker , pricey but exteremely adjustable , chrome or black or combo platter, highly recommended. worksperformance.com or [email protected]

Attachments

• Works Performance Street Tracker.jpg
    Works Performance Street Tracker.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 25
if you want to spend big money, go for the ohlins. i couldnt justify the retail price, but was able to score a set off ebay for $400. it took about 2 years of watching and waiting to finally get a deal on them!! they were new and just required the right bushings. i ordered them from ohlins direct and the local yamaha dealership pressed them in and fitted the shocks. it's kinda like sitting on a pillow going over the bumps. the shocks for the gsx1400 will work straight up bolt on, but are really hard to find stateside. i think they are the kyb's. i also remember a member who took a set of ohlins from a snow machine and had them rebuilt to suit his max. i'll do some digging around thru the old mail and maybe find his info later. if i can, i'll post up some more and see if i can get a line on the guy who did the rebuild as well. just make sure you dont talk yourself into a pair of those fancy asian sets that look like the piggybacks-i think sean found out they were intended for scooters. a deal at $150-$200 if you took the motor outta your bike!

later odieoh24

ken, if you are interested in some blacked out 440's maybe we can chat.

Its a start, I guess I'll never know if I don't jump out and try a set. Are yours stock length? I'd love to buy a few different set to try but thats not cost effective ya know. Anyhow what's your idea? Hit me with some pic's and a price.

I bought a set of Ohlins new and they are great. Sprung for my weight and riding style. Are they worth the money? No. I think they look cool though.

Like the 440's much better than stock. Lucked out with a sweet deal freom Dale Walker not long ago. Free progressive fork spring promotion too, not sure if progressive is still doing it, worth checking though.
Steve

I'm running Progressive HD 440's in black. There is a VERY noticeable improvement in all areas. On the numerous frost expansion bumps that we have around here they took the kick out of them. Improvement in corners at higher speeds is very confidence inspiring.
I think you will get improvement with anything newer and set up for your riding style. But I say go for the best yo can afford and call it good.

Latest posts

Back