PCW Shock Mount Fastener Ideas

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbone

Reaction score

I'm setting up my 3" over swing arm and I'm looking to see what others have done with securing the PCW shock extension to the pumpkin. It fastens to the axle, shock mount and to the shock. The axle portion is held on with the factory parts, and the shock mounts to the other end, I can put a nut + spacer to hold the PCW part using the original shock mount but I was looking for a little more elegant looking solution.
I was thinking of getting the stock shock mount bolt machined to down/ threads cut so I could use a nice SS washer/ nut. Tell me/ show me what your solution for this is.

I'm setting up my 3" over swing arm and I'm looking to see what others have done with securing the PCW shock extension to the pumpkin. It fastens to the axle, shock mount and to the shock. The axle portion is held on with the factory parts, and the shock mounts to the other end, I can put a nut + spacer to hold the PCW part using the original shock mount but I was looking for a little more elegant looking solution.
I was thinking of getting the stock shock mount bolt machined to down/ threads cut so I could use a nice SS washer/ nut. Tell me/ show me what your solution for this is.

PCW gives you the extra hardware required. It looks good too.

Use the OEM shock mounting hardware to secure the shock to the PCW bracket.

The PCW bracket attaches to the differential where the OEM shock stud is. You will have to remove the OEM stud from the differential. I tried the double nut trick but that did not work at all. I had to resort to vise grips. Once you get the stud removed, you insert a spacer tube (supplied by PCW) into the differential. Be sure to leave the tube sticking out of the differential just enough to engage the PCW bracket. The spacer tube is made to help positively locate the bracket in place. If installed correctly it should be flush or just slighty lower than the face of the PCW bracket. Then, you install a bolt that PCW supplies to secure the bracket in the differential.

The PCW bracket also attaches to the rear axle. It just slides over the axle and is secured with the OEM axle nut. The bracket I received from PCW was made to fit the early type differentials, which are slighty wider. When I installed the bracket and tightened the bolt that replaces the shock stud, there was a gap between the bracket and differential where the axle goes.

I was told to just tighten up the axle nut and the bracket should bend enough to close the gap. I didn't like the idea of doing this so I decided to place a couple shims on the axle, between the differential and PCW bracket. I used the OEM axle nut washer as one of the shims. For the other shim, I found a S.S. washer and carefully filed it down to the correct thickness and polished it when complete.

I also needed to get an early style axle because my axle was a bit too short to get the axle nut to properly engage the threads with the new shims and bracket. I used the late style locking nut on the early style axle to prevent having to use a cotter pin and castellated nut. I removed the washer that sits on the outboard side of the caliper bracket (known as the washer swap washer) because I wanted to have a little more of the axle to stick out of the differential. This is why I posted the question about the importance of this washer a few months back. I was looking at the rear wheel assembly and did not see any reason why this washer really NEEDED to be there. Sean, and Fred both said that it would not hurt anything so I put it in the spare parts bin.

I can't remember what year the differential width changed, you may not have the same issue with Redbone.

I have attached a crappy photo of my rear diff. If you need a better one let me know.

If you had your swingarm shifted to the left to help center the wheel, you may be interested in seeing what I had Sean make up for me to help with the shock angle.

Attachments

• Rear Zoom.jpg
    Rear Zoom.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Thanks Mike, I have the longer old style shaft (hmm? :biglaugh:) and my s/a is offset 250mm (I think, I'm going to use a 200 tire). I will give PCW a call to get the parts on the way.
I would be interested is seeing what Sean did for you, and if you could get a closer up pic of the PCW part I'd really appreciate it.:worthy:

Thanks Mike, I have the longer old style shaft (hmm? :biglaugh:) and my s/a is offset 250mm (I think, I'm going to use a 200 tire). I will give PCW a call to get the parts on the way.
I would be interested is seeing what Sean did for you, and if you could get a closer up pic of the PCW part I'd really appreciate it.:worthy:

No problem, I hope to be in the garage a bit tomorrow. We worked the 4th but now I get a 3 day weekend. I will try and get some better pics of the PCW bracket and the piece Sean made for the shock alignment and try to explain why I asked for it.

Another question or 2, what length of shocks do you run? How is the clearance from the tire to your license plate?
Thanks Mike.

12.5" progressive 440's w/ heavy duty springs.

I have a funky, homemade license plate holder. The tire was pretty close to it. I ended up angling the plate up a little more for added clearance. I only made it a few hundred miles, a few of those two-up, and no signs of rubbing anywhere. I would get some pics of the the plate clearance but the bike is in pieces again.

That's what I needed to know Mike, I have 13" Progressive HD440's so I should be good. I haven't had time to work on it yet, but maybe in the coming week I can do some work after work.

I did the same thing this spring Brian. I had the same issues. Got myself an 85 axle to make it work and shimmed the PCW bracket. I put my stock 13" shocks on but I think 12.5" would work as well. I used a motorcycle mods tailight.
I can take all the pics you want. Just let me know what area you need.

Dale #2592

Brian I have a PCW 3over on mable too, I'll get some pics and measurements this weekend.

I did the same thing this spring Brian. I had the same issues. Got myself an 85 axle to make it work and shimmed the PCW bracket. I put my stock 13" shocks on but I think 12.5" would work as well. I used a motorcycle mods tailight.
I can take all the pics you want. Just let me know what area you need.

Dale #2592
Excellant Dale, pics of the clearance from fender/ plate area is what I'm interested in. I have a custom unit I put together much like Mike's but I used the aluminum Motorcycle Mods bracket I had. Since my bike is a '92 I have the longer axle already, but getting more pics of the shimming would be helpful.

Brian I have a PCW 3over on mable too, I'll get some pics and measurements this weekend.
Thanks Rick, would appreciate your input as well! I'm new at this fabricating game but I think I have studied enough to understand the basics of this setup so your expert opinion will keep me from going to far astray. At least I hope! :rofl_200:

Here are some pics of the bracket. Note that PCW welds a shock stud onto the bracket. The stud is just like the OEM one that is welded to the swingarm. All you need to secure the shock is the OEM flat washer and acorn nut.

PCW Bracket.JPG

PCW Bracket 2.JPG

Here is a shot of the bushing that PCW supplies, installed in the differential. You need to remove the shock stud and install the bushing. Leave the bushing stick out of the hole enough to locate the shock bracket. PCW provides a bolt that fits inside the bushing and threads into the differential.

PCW Bushing Installed.JPG

Here are a couple shots of the bracket on the differential

PCW Bracket Mounted.JPG

PCW Bracket Installed 2.JPG

Here is a shot of the gap you will have when using the bracket with the late differential. Early ones are wider and this gap should not be present.

PCW Bracket Shims Needed.JPG

I had Sean offset my swingarm to the left to help center the wheel in the frame. When looking at the shocks from behind the bike, it appeared as though the left shock tilted in at the top to attach to the frame. It was not a major deal but I would rather the shock look straight than crooked when viewing from behind. I drew a quick sketch of what I wanted and Sean made it for me. Its a steel bushing that slides onto the upper shock mount. It extends the shock away from the frame enough to help it look straight. There is a bronze sleeve on the outside of the bushing that can be replaced down the road if any wear occurs. I removed the rubber grommet from the upper eyelet of my shock and the shock now rides directly on the bronze sleeve. The bushing is long enough for me to install a thick rubber grommet between the eyelet and the shock holder. Definitely not a necessary item but I like the idea of it. I needed a longer bolt to attach the upper end of the shock to the frame. I am using a SS socket cap bolt.

Shock Alignment Bushing.JPG

Shock Alignment Bushing 2.JPG

Shock Alignment Grommet.JPG

Shock Alignment Bushing Installed.JPG

Brain, your adapter should have included the sleeve and bolt and might not have been shipped out to you?

Sean

Mike: That is just the information I was looking for Mike, expert details as per usual! :thumbs up: I'm not at home atm to measure the axle diameter of the early model axle can some one post the size so I can pick up some SS washers? TIA
I think I will go the same route as you on the top shock mount but I will wait until I install the shock to make that call.

Sean: I have been through all of what was sent me and haven't seen a sleeve or bolt like this, can you send me a replacement? Thanks!

Sent from my Tapatalk enabled iPhone w/ V-boost.

You should not need to shim the bracket since you have an early differential.

I didnt measure but i think 18mm is the size. 3/4" will work too but has a touch larger I.D.

Here you go Brian. 17" Kossman wheel with a 190/55 tire. Stock shocks.
I saw a bike at Thunder that had a 3" over with an 18" and a 190/55 using 11.5" shocks. He had to relocate the fender back a bit though. So your 13" 440s should work no problem!:eusa_dance:

Dale #2592

Attachments

• rear wheel 001.jpg
    rear wheel 001.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 16
  • rear wheel 002.jpg
    rear wheel 002.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 15
  • rear wheel 003.jpg
    rear wheel 003.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 15
  • rear wheel 006.jpg