Perfect Helmet for a VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specs95t

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am in the market to replace my HJC full face helmet.

Considering the VMax riding position is different than a sport bike, I was wondering who has good experience with various helmets.

I have tried on a modular HJC and like the idea of being able to flip the chin bar up for easy on/off and eyeglasses BUT have read that modulars are usually bigger, heavier and noisier...

I have researched Bell, and Torq and am trying to stay in a $150 budget

any advice is appreciated!

I have 2 helmets I use on my Vmax, an HJC FS-10 full face for spirited riding and a half helmet for cruising around town.

I have the HJC modular with integrated visor. Yes, its a bit larger, heavier and noisier. But still a great helmet especially for the price.

I also have the HJC 3/4 with integrated visor for around town riding.

The HJC helmets are made in Korea and when they have the HD brand stamped on them, go for twice the price.

I have always wore Shoei full face helmets with great results. This last time i bought a Scorpion 750. It is a great helmet but the everclear coating on the shield only lasts about 6 months and then you are looking through a distorted shield. They have given me 3 new shields over the years but still very frustrating. But, for $200 it is a quiet, comfortable well vented helmet!
I am due for a new helmet soon and will be seriously looking at a new Shoei. I usually buy the previous model on closeout at one of the various online dealers for the best price on a great helmet. Since few riders in Arkansas wear helmets, dealers only stock Fulmer or some other off brand of cheap helmets.
Full face all the way for me, been hit by way to many flying objects!

I have been using a Vemar VTXE full face for the last 4-5 years but I just picked up a Bell Star Carbon Dunlop Replica Helmet which was on closeout. It's a light helmet that when I first put it on it was a little snug but felt comfortable right away. The graphics are sharp and the carbon fiber stands out a little better than what the pictures show. It is more of sportbike helmet but after trying 25 or so helmets this one felt great and the price was right. I did try on a Arai that fit well too but I couldn't see paying over $700 for it.

I would look at Dennis Kirk close outs, Speed & Strenght has pretty good prices. Or if $$$ is important check out Cycle Gear's Bilt Helmets. I am kind hooked on Nolan's but their price kills me, my full face was a $400 helmet my wife picked up on close out for $80 from Dennis Kirk...

Prices vary all over theplace so I went to cycle gearand bought a modular, blue tooth, bright yellow for $169 on sale. If you go this route, heed the buy larger warnings. Ihave 8 helmetsforvarious rides but the Cycle Gear Bilt is the one for Mr Max (referred toas "Bang").

I have several and like the Shoie 1200 the best so far. When selecting a new helmet I listen for loud wind noise. The cheaper helmets drive me crazy buzzing. I have a carbon fiber that is so light it feels like you don't have a helmet on, it looks great too. But it's a howler. Ear plugs work, but they can be uncomfortable. Good riding gear is worth investing in. But I expect to be able to buy a good helmet for under $400.

Last edited:
I have the Bell Vortex. It's a intermediate level helmet, but I don't take my bike to the track, so I don't worry about that. I typically use it for highway or super long distance trips, as I have a Bluetooth system in it, and I like music and answering phone calls when I can. I also opted for the Transitions shield, which acts like Transitions glasses, and transitions from clear to black, depending on the sunlight. I love it. It suits my needs and under $200.
Bell Vortex

I also have a Fly 9mm 1/2 helmet for smaller rides and around town, but I'm notorious for not wearing it. It's an ok helmet. I think it looks ok. It's got about an inch of padding in it, but it works.
Fly 9mm Helmet

Too much helmet takes away from the open air and freedom that comes with riding. Just my thoughts.

I have been using a Vemar VTXE full face for the last 4-5 years but I just picked up a Bell Star Carbon Dunlop Replica Helmet which was on closeout. It's a light helmet that when I first put it on it was a little snug but felt comfortable right away. The graphics are sharp and the carbon fiber stands out a little better than what the pictures show. It is more of sportbike helmet but after trying 25 or so helmets this one felt great and the price was right. I did try on a Arai that fit well too but I couldn't see paying over $700 for it.

That's a nice looking helmet Brian. The price isn't bad either.
The Shoie I bought a few years ago was $150 on clearance. But it has Suzuki branded on it. There's a VMF sticker over the S now.

I have a few different carbon fiber full face and 2 speed and strength full face. I prefer my speed and strength ones except for the vent in the front. At triple digit speeds both of them push the foam piece behind it into your mouth lol. I want a nice carbon fiber one with a rear 180 camera, solar powered, Bluetooth, adjustable tint screen for under $200. Is that too much

I like my Kali Naza Carbon, even with an IntrrphoneF4 kit it still weighs less than any HJC helmet I have ever picked up. Pretty low noise, came with two lenses clear/tinted, comfy, vents are outstanding at high and low speeds.

I have a few different carbon fiber full face and 2 speed and strength full face. I prefer my speed and strength ones except for the vent in the front. At triple digit speeds both of them push the foam piece behind it into your mouth lol. I want a nice carbon fiber one with a rear 180 camera, solar powered, Bluetooth, adjustable tint screen for under $200. Is that too much

You need to look at Cycle gear. Not saying they are the best but for the money you can get a bluetooth Bilit under $200...no issues

For 7.5 easy payments of $199, you could have yourself a Skully AR-1!

I use an Icon Mainframe helmet. Ive had it for years now and im still quite happy with it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-12-11-55-35-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-02-12-11-55-35-1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 18
For 7.5 easy payments of $199, you could have yourself a Skully AR-1!

Yeah, if they ever decide to actually make it. They've been pushing the ship date back for what, like 3 years now?

As annoying as it is, you really need to try on helmets. Your head isn't the same as some random person on the internet, so what fits great for one person might be lousy for you. Different brands have different internal shapes that can drastically affect the fit and comfort. For me, HJC helmets just don't work, they're a rounder shape and I have more of an oval head, so they always feel tight at the forehead, yet fairly roomy around the ears.

More and more brands are starting to identify their shape, ranging from "slight oval" (rounder) to intermediate oval, to long oval, and sometimes different models have different shapes.

There is a comparison here
if a current helmet on the list fits well, note where it falls in the range. Far to the right would be a "slight" oval, center would be intermediate, and to the left would be long oval. WebBikeWorld also gives detailed reviews and sizing/shape advice on the more common helmet models.

^ Excellent point about the shape of the helmets.
I use an HJC because after trying on a LOT of different brands over the years, I found that the HJC's fit my head shape the best.

Yeah, if they ever decide to actually make it. They've been pushing the ship date back for what, like 3 years now?

As annoying as it is, you really need to try on helmets. Your head isn't the same as some random person on the internet, so what fits great for one person might be lousy for you. Different brands have different internal shapes that can drastically affect the fit and comfort. For me, HJC helmets just don't work, they're a rounder shape and I have more of an oval head, so they always feel tight at the forehead, yet fairly roomy around the ears.

More and more brands are starting to identify their shape, ranging from "slight oval" (rounder) to intermediate oval, to long oval, and sometimes different models have different shapes.

There is a comparison here
if a current helmet on the list fits well, note where it falls in the range. Far to the right would be a "slight" oval, center would be intermediate, and to the left would be long oval. WebBikeWorld also gives detailed reviews and sizing/shape advice on the more common helmet models.

Ryan, getting nothing when clicking "here".

Back