Plime of smoke under hard acceleration

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostntheshell

Reaction score
Rode w/ a friend for the first time today.

When I accelerated from 1st, 2nd, 3rd hitting vboost in 2nd and 3rd - he said he saw a plume of smoke (slight blue tinge - indicating oil burn).

He said it was only under the hard accelerations (vboost, high rpm) - and it was a small plume.

I am not burning any amount of oil (still at full line) - and it hasn't leaked a drop on the floor.

What do you think guys?

Not long. 24 hours. Seemed when I really got on it - from the 2nd / 3rd vboost runs - it spits out a plume of smoke.
At no other time is it blowing any smoke.

meant more b/t when u got her and u started riding.

is it the first few times you've been in vboost territory? has it happened before. do u have an oil gauge?

Prolly wouldn't hurt to run a compression test. The specs and procedure are in the service manual page 2-17

pdf.gif
Vmax service manual

Could be a number of things. Ring blow by, leaky valve seals. Do a comp check and/or a leak down and see what you get.

Well, I hope it's something simple.

I still need to have the valve adjustment checked. It's got 46000kms on it - and I have no idea when it would have been done last.

It feels very powerful - but I have nothing to compare it to really, to know if it's feeling like it should or not.

thanks for the tips :)

I would pull the spark plugs and see what they look like. If they are oily, that's bad...if not I would leave it alone; especially if its running strong. My 06 spits a little smoke when I jump hard on it, but I don't do it very often...I just consider that its "clearing its throat". JMO

def good call. check the plugs. also get your valves done!

Valves are usually good for 100K. I would run some BG oil additive (can't remember the product right now) and see if it will clean up any residues and gunk that may have built up over the years.

Sean

shouldn't they be checked with 45km on the clock?

are you saying the valves themselves wear out around 100k or the adjustment doesn't need to be done until 100k?

I've been using seafoam in every tank.
I thought that it could be burning off some of the crap - but the plume of smoke only happens in VBOOST when I crack it.

4 barrel cabs used to do the same thing......

When you slammed the throttle open at low speeds, the secondaries would open and dump fuel before the engine RPM could use all the fuel......

This made a momentary rich condition.....and it would do exactly as you describe....

Smarter people than me could probably tune the system so it didn't do it.....but it always worked well enough for me:punk:

Maybe a similar deal:confused2:

Interesting.

I suppose the compression check / plug checks should put me at ease.

Thanks again for the tips

No work needed for rebuild until at least 100K but adjustment check is overdue probably.

Sean

Back