powder coating vs painting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah...anyone saying that PC can't look as good or better than paint has nooooooooooo idea what they are talking about...this is mirror black over the CHROME swingarm cap...done at home...for like cheap money!!

Sorry but I just do not agree with that statement - if you can get the same flat glass like finish that you can achieve with paint then I have yet to see it.

Every piece of powder-coat I have ever seen always has had some degree of orange peel (like in your S/A pivot bolt cover) and always has a 'heavy' or 'thick' appearance to my eyes.

Still, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder then each to his (or her) own. :thumbs up:

I disagree. The coating can be cheaper if you do it yourself. BUT, it adds a ton of thickness and difficult to get perfectly glass smooth. Plus the depth of the finish won't add up to the same as what you can achieve with paint.

We do both and have great finish work on both. It just isn't the same but it doesn't have to be either.

Sean

I'm so confused now ... I don't know what to do. I have ZERO scratches, chips, etc in the original paint job so I'm not in a hurry. I just need to get these oxidized scoops handled pretty quickly.

At the end of the day it is a personal decision...kinda like politics...there are pros & cons for PC, paint & chrome...whatever you choose will be fine...because it was your choice :)

Yep there are pros & cons of both . I do believe pc is a little tougher but I have yet to see any with the depth of the painting I do. I do lots of parts in pc but if I really want a super deeep glass like finish I would paint it.

Discussion sorta getting off topic. As a powdercoater, there is no way I can say PC is visually more impressive and amazing. So much more can be done with paint with fades, blends, color saturation and on and on. BUT, what does that matter with black frame parts, solid color wheels, standard engine covers and scoops. Stuff that just needs to be colorfast, wear great, and cheap to boot! So again, two sides here where the individual has to weigh what they desire, can afford, or feel is acceptable to their vision. It's akin to trying to decide what's best, blondes, brunettes or red heads.

personally i"d chrome them if its in the budget. prolly be the most durable finish and chrome goes with any color.:biglaugh: JMO

however..if i had to choose between painting and powdercoat..id go with powdercoat.

Last edited:
Brunettes!! We're awesome!! Lol.

As for the rest....I'm confused & need to ponder all options.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

For what it's worth, PC gives a perfectly acceptable finish and is relatively cheap.
However, if you crave that glass deep shine then (IMHO) opinion it has to be paint but you will need deep pockets full of dosh to get that.

Perhaps if you could go and see examples of both?

personally i"d chrome them if its in the budget..

+1
shiny chromy scoops are nice...
though.... i thought u said wanted to do the black look..so...hmm.

Also...blondes or brunettes.IMO..

T$

Jmo. You ask 15 people you will get 15 different answers. It's all what you like n choose. I had my scoops pced but over winter i am painting them because they are big and want a perfect finish high gloss i think will be impossible to get w/ pc,all my smaller parts I have pced look great.BTW I agree 100% brunettes rock lol.

+1
shiny chromy scoops are nice...
though.... i thought u said wanted to do the black look..so...hmm.

Also...blondes or brunettes.IMO..

T$

BRUNETTES dammit!!! haha

I was going blacked out but i don't have a single mark in my original paint so I just don't see the point right now. I've got a couple guys locally that I'm going to talk to about painting/pc these scoops soon ... so when I decide I'll post pics of the finished product.

Mrs Max. You sound like you are the ideal candidate to join the club of multiple body set ownership. I've only got four sets to choose from but Sean has another in the works for me. I would like to get my hands on a 20 th Anniv set some day. Already got the rear fender!

Back