Progressive rear shocks series 14

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmax9

Reaction score
I picked up a Corbin seat and the seller threw in some shocks and extra springs. Progressive 14 Series (13 inch): 14-1283B and black springs 03-1394/B: 75/120. He worked for Yamaha and used to do testing on V-max. Said they'd fit, but I don't see that model of shocks cross-referenced for the V-max. I'm far from an expert, so I figure I'd ask out here.

Will they fit the V-max (2004)? Would they even be an improvement?

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know the 14 series is to be a stock looking replacement for older bikes. I am not aware of them being made for the vmax.

That being said, doesn't mean they would not fit. All you need is the proper bushings to make it happen. If they fit over the shock mounting studs without a lot of free play they should be fine. 13" is the stock vmax shock length.

Whether or not they would be an improvement, I have no idea. Do a google search on progressive 14 series and see if you can find any additional info.

what he said...

Plus...
1./Progressive will directly sell you bushings of different sizes, if you need them. (I wouldn't use the shocks if they weren't properly fitting). I recently ordered some for some 440 model shocks: $15 bucks for a set.

2./Try to find out the spring rate of shocks you have. Then, compare them to the spring rate that is recommended for your bike & your riding (ie./ do you ride 2 up, are you overweight, average etc). Is the spring rate similar to the rate recommended for the Vmax? If not, how different is it?

Another way to determine this is to check the sag on your bike with oem vs your new shocks. Google the term 'motorcycle sag' if you're unfamiliar with the term and process.

Good luck.

Whoops, didn't realize how dated this was. Likely irrelevant at this point. Oh well...

Back