Project for next year: new front end

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angel of Death

Reaction score
Hey guys, I"m new here and I looked at the two pages of threads on suspension and didn't really find what I was looking for. Also is the search function broken?

Anyhow, I just picked up a '93 front end (forks, trees, bearings) off eBay for my '92 and am trying to figure out the best route to take for making this a comfortable refined and well handling bike.

Any ideas what internals I should run? I"m 5'11 and 200lbs btw.

Thanks! Erik

80_1.jpg

________
Extreme Vaporizer Review

Last edited:
I did a few test searchs, and the search is working. What did you put in the Search box?
As for the suspension, I would change out the stock internal springs. Look into Race Tech springs and emulators or Progressive springs. Race Tech will send you springs based on your weight and riding style. You'll probably end up with .90 or .95

Erik,welcome to the forum! What you need next is Racetech springs and gold valve emulators. Check out www.racetech.com. HUGE improvement up front! Another thing would be to get late-model brake discs, They're well ventilated and are much better than the early model discs.

Buster Hymen said:
I did a few test searchs, and the search is working. What did you put in the Search box?
As for the suspension, I would change out the stock internal springs. Look into Race Tech springs and emulators or Progressive springs. Race Tech will send you springs based on your weight and riding style. You'll probably end up with .90 or .95

Wow, I feel dumb. Before, I would click on search and nothing would happen, no box, nothing. But now it works [/sheepish smiley]. Stupid StateDept computers.

What are the differences between raceteck /emulators and progressive. I like the idea of having them custom fit to my fat ass!

Thanks!
________
Celta

Last edited:
maleko89 said:
Erik,welcome to the forum! What you need next is Racetech springs and gold valve emulators. Check out www.racetech.com. HUGE improvement up front! Another thing would be to get late-model brake discs, They're well ventilated and are much better than the early model discs.

I tried thier digital product seach but couldn't find the Vmax under yamaha. Wierd. Maybe I'll just call them. Thanks for the link!

As for the late model brake disks, should I go with stock or something aftermarket? Factory calipers or the R1 kit from SportMax?

Thanks! Erik
________
Penny stocks

Last edited:
Angel of Death said:
I tried thier digital product seach but couldn't find the Vmax under yamaha. Wierd. Maybe I'll just call them. Thanks for the link!

As for the late model brake disks, should I go with stock or something aftermarket? Factory calipers or the R1 kit from SportMax?

Thanks! Erik
Here's a direct link to their page (RaceTech) for the emulators and springs for a 93 front end. If you are a VMOA member you get (I think) a discount of 20 or 25%.
http://www.racetech.com/evalving/english/Srchpr.asp?bikeid=422&manufacture=Yamaha&model=VMX1200&year=93%2D99&TABLEINFO=street&langname=english

As for brakes, the R6 and R1 calipers bolt right on (make sure the calipers are not the new radial style). Or if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, you can go with Brembos.

Buster Hymen said:
Here's a direct link to their page (RaceTech) for the emulators and springs for a 93 front end. If you are a VMOA member you get (I think) a discount of 20 or 25%.
http://www.racetech.com/evalving/english/Srchpr.asp?bikeid=422&manufacture=Yamaha&model=VMX1200&year=93%2D99&TABLEINFO=street&langname=english

As for brakes, the R6 and R1 calipers bolt right on (make sure the calipers are not the new radial style). Or if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, you can go with Brembos.

Thank you for the link, that will come in quite handy.

Good to know how universal those R6/R1 calipers are. Are they truly worth going for do you think?
________
Creampie Hairy

Last edited:
Back