Pulling to left when hand off handle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyloh

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a 2007 Vmax 1200 with 2450 miles. while I riding and let go my hand from handle and I can feel the bike slowly pulling to LHS. I remembered few years back I owned a Virago XV 535 which also having the same problem. Could anyone help me to resove this issue. Thanks in advance.

Probably a stupid question but how does it feel with both hands ON the bars?

Unless you can feel it when riding normally, or you habitually ride no-hands then I would be inclined to just ride the bike and enjoy it.

If it is a slight 'drift' then bare in mind that as you drive on the left the camber of the road would pull the bike in that direction.

If you still feel inclined to investigate further then the first port of call would be to check that the front wheel isn't twisted in the forks.
You would need to slacken off the yoke clamp bolts axle pinch bolt and axle.
Make sure you support the front of the frame so it doesn't head south (or north if you are in the southern hemisphere) when you slacken the bolts.

Torque up the axle bolt and pinch bolt then the yoke clamp bolts.

Next would be to see if front and rear wheels are in line.
It's not uncommon for Maxii to have the rear wheel slightly offset.

Should this be the case then you will have noted that the LH swinging arm pivot is fixed whereas the RH is adjustable. By fitting a RH pivot to the LHS you can get some sideways movement. Not sure how much, perhaps others could advise?

If you are still having issues then you would need to check that the headstock or frame isn't twisted.

THE " CROWN " OF THE ROAD HAS A LOT TO DO WITH IT , ESPECIALLY WITHOUT RADIAL TIRES , I WOULD PICK A ROAD THAT IT DRIFTS TO THE LEFT ON AND THEN AT NIGHT OR WHEN EVER YOU CAN , TURN AROUND AND GO TO BACK UP IT ON THE WRONG SIDE , THIS WAY THE SAME " CROWN " IS ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE , NOW YOU CAN SEE IF ITS JUST THE CROWN OF THE ROAD BECAUSE NOW IT WOULD DRIFT TO THE RIGHT ! ... ALSO IF THERE IS A BIG MALL OR SHOPPING CENTER , GO THERE WHEN THEY ARE CLOSED AND FIND THE BIGGEST & FLATTEST AREA & KEEP GOING BACK & FORTH TO SEE IF ITS THE SAME AS ON THE ROAD ! ... :confused2:

Hi Steve, thank you for your kind respond.

While riding with both hands on bar, I can feel the bike and my body would slightly incline to RHS, even if I let go my hand I need to inclline my body slightly to RHS in order to make the bike move straight forward.

I would try to carry out what you had mentioned but I'm not understand most of the technical terms that you mentioned. Is there any where I refer some diagram for these terms?

On a car pulling to one side usually indicates bad tire wear or a binding brake caliper.

I'm not quite sure if a binding front left caliper could do the same on a bike, but it's easy to check - just lift the front wheel off the ground and check it spins freely.

On a car pulling to one side usually indicates bad tire wear or a binding brake caliper.

I'm not quite sure if a binding front left caliper could do the same on a bike, but it's easy to check - just lift the front wheel off the ground and check it spins freely.

+1 check for a stuck caliper/dragging pad and tire wear.

if you trust someone ask them to ride the bike and see if they get the same results.

mine sort of does the same thing at highway speeds. no uneven brake wear. just assumed its the pitch of the road and more mass on the left side of the bike (driveshaft/pumpkin) spinning at those speeds..

maybe the steering damper contributes too? only notice it when i take both hands off bars tho.

true could be personal riding position too eh?

so with the new radial tires i'm seeing this more. don't feel it with both hands on the bars but when i take them both off (i know i know)... it definitely pulls to the left. whats interesting though is if i put my cruise control on its almost non existent and sometimes will pull to the right..

is it possible now with radials, the slight weight difference left to right (well maybe upwards of 40 lbs) can cause this? i mean hell popping my ass over 1" probably is less weigh tthan that and it can fix it...

thoughts?

garrett are you saying throttle off it pulls but if you set cruise and its constant speed it helps? wouldnt that be part of the gyroscopic effect, for sure more stable if speed is constant. do you have the front set up also with radial or half half?

garrett are you saying throttle off it pulls but if you set cruise and its constant speed it helps? wouldnt that be part of the gyroscopic effect, for sure more stable if speed is constant. do you have the front set up also with radial or half half?
cruise or accel helps definitely. so does moving my ass 1/2" - 1" over. gotta think it has to do with the weight of the drivetrain...

120/70 radial up front. i won't go with it again, i' go 100 or 110, the wider tire doesn't make more sense with such a small sidewall, just wraps around more.

i don't think that has to do with it tho, the bike did similar stuff before all the upgrades at highway esque speeds, but i think it smore prevelant now that the radials alow the bike to be 'flicked'

FYI incase anyone is wondering, all in all. if i had a choice over morleys jet kit and an exhaust, matched against a braced swingarm and radials. do the swingarm/radials first all prices being equal, which is what mine roughly was.

Before my switch to Metzlers my bike had a wobble & a pull.......now.......niether. I've gone no-hands several times now straight and happy with cruise on. Next time out i'll have to try with it decel-ing.....see if it makes a difference.

Before my switch to Metzlers my bike had a wobble & a pull.......now.......niether. I've gone no-hands several times now straight and happy with cruise on. Next time out i'll have to try with it decel-ing.....see if it makes a difference.

Let me know what u find..

Back