Question about selling bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billydroveit

Reaction score
For those of you who read my first post a couple weeks ago about buying a bike to resell...

Ok, so the time has come, the bike is just about complete. This is my second bike, but i did not get to sell my first. The theives took care of that for me. WHen people come to look at the bike, what is the general concensus on letting someone take a test ride? I do not feel confortable letting someone ride it! These things are rockets, and not everyone knows how to handle them. So what do you do? How do you handle the guys who want a ride befor buy?

Thanks to those who have input on this.

For those who read my original post...the pictures are coming. I'm just waiting for hte bike to be "done" sellable befor i take pics. I'll title the post The $500 V-Max...

i think a very reasonable thing to do, is that say test rides are more than welcome, however you will need the full purchase price of the bike, decided beforehand, in your hand incase anything happens. write something up if need be. but make it understood if anything happens while they are on the bike u are giving them the bike and you are taking the cash. its pretty standard for bikes worth anything i'd say.

For a complete stranger buying a bike from me, you get to ride it after I get the all money in my hand, but before the receipt is writen up - also can I see your motorcycle license first, Sir?

Too many bullshiters out there that want to go joyriding and never plan on buying the bike.

No exceptions either.

Mike

I'd have them sign an agreement stating they are liable for any harm done to the bike while in their possession.

It's called CMA. Cover My Ass!

Chris

Thanks guys, that's very helpful.

It happens here. I had a couple of guys asking to drive/go for a drive in my street/race car when i had it for sale last year. I asked to see cash up front...all backed out!

I wonder if someone on the web has a generic release of responsibility for a motorcycle test ride or test drive of any kind really?. I know you can find reciept blanks and bill of sales on teh web in places like KBB and NADA i think.

I think i'll stick with seeing and holding cash up front befor test rides are offered, and only with an intent statement saying if anything happens to the bike/peron/persons while on test ride they hold no responsibility to me!...the owner. and i get to kep all monies!

It's terrabl what thing shave come to in this world.

+1, they can ride if after cash for the bike is in your hand. If they break it, they buy it. Then if for whatever reason they don't want the bike and bring it back fine, they get their cash back. Requiring money to be forked over will keep the BSers and joyriders away.

Motorcycle licenses or endorsements are such jokes, I really don't think that has any reflection on the person's skill. All that red "M" means is they managed to stumble though a 20 question multiple-choice "test", and then within 2 years they made it around the block one time without crashing with some dork from DMV watching.

I'll be honest, when I bought my bike if the PO had of asked for cash up front I would have had to walk too.... not because it was not legit, but because I didn't have cash. I borrowed (personal loan) from the bank. In fact I had to get him to write up a bill of sale to take to the bank to finalize the paperwork, then they cut a draft in his name for the purchase price and depo'd the remaining $1k into my account (registration and new helmet :))
I gave him the draft when he delivered the bike to me. Ya, he even delivered it! He lived almost 2 hours away and still loaded into his truck and brought it down to me! I handed him an extra $50 cash to help cover his gas.

Anyway, not everyone is out to get you.... but you do need to cover your ass!

No frickin' way I'm giving anyone the opportunity for a test ride until the deal is closed. I don't like the potential liability, nor the hassle of fixing it after a drop/crash. I'll start it cold. I'll hot start it. I'll ride it in front of you. Heck, I'll even ride it to a local dealer for a checkup if you like. Might slow me down selling it, but that's OK.

No frickin' way I'm giving anyone the opportunity for a test ride until the deal is closed. I don't like the potential liability, nor the hassle of fixing it after a drop/crash. I'll start it cold. I'll hot start it. I'll ride it in front of you. Heck, I'll even ride it to a local dealer for a checkup if you like. Might slow me down selling it, but that's OK.

+1...

I am also covered by insurance:eusa_dance:

i think its very acceptable to not sign the title or anything but you demand full purchase price before they get on. i've seen it go all sorts of ways. when i sold my '94 i had a guy travel almost 3 hours to buy it so i knew he wasn't a tire kicker, and such a form or payment wasnt' really necessary.

Same way I'd handle it!! No test rides....signatures, forms or documents!!

S'pose some clown hands you a bunch of money, jumps on the bike, beats the piss out of it and the trannie goes thru the oil pan? How are you gonna handle that? Keep some of his money, keep it all, call the cops.....s'pose he calls the cops?????

TOO friggin' complicated....KISS...good rule, I follow it!

for sure you gotta cover you butt. So getting some cash and or a piece of paper signed with the terms on it so they understand what happens if they wreck it or wreck someone else.
if its among friends then we use the triple B plan..... so whats the Triple B plan

its borrow it, Break it, Bought it. simple, you can use my stuff but Triple B and all is good between us. up to them if they wanna take it out, your responsible even if its not your fault.

Last edited:
Its a tough question for sure. You want to sell the bike, and have to protect yourself, but don't want to chase away prospective buyers either. Unfortunately, I would be prone to make a judgement call based on a persons age and appearance. I know this would be the wrong thing to do, because you can't judge a book by its cover. You can't expect each person to show up with a large amount of cash to lay in your hand. Remember, they don't know you either! A contract with a "You break it, You bought it" is probably the best idea.

I'm glad this question has been asked becuase I've been wondering the same thing since I just put my first bike up for sale. When I bought this bike the guy said he would drive it by , or take me for a ride but wouldn't let me drive it which I could understand. The bike was mint and he was anal as hell so I know it was cared for correctly.

When I started shopping around for a Vmax, I got mixed sellers. Most wanted cash in hand and were willing to drive for me to hear it run. It was ironic becuase out of all the ones I looked at (5), the four that were in not that great of shape, the seller wanted cash in hand prior to taking for a ride. The one I ended up buying was in mint shape, and oddly enough, he let me take it out for 2- 20minute rides(two different days)...

I think I'm going to follow the advice here and require those looking to buy the one I have for sale give me cash in hand and sign something as well. Or I'd give them a ride...

This forum is so helpful..Thanks guys

Yup.

1.) Cash in YOUR hands +make sure the bike is insured so that other licenced riders may ride it too (otherwise you open up a liability can of worms)

OR they'll have to settle for :

2.) Drive it in front of him. Start it cold / hot.

3.) Serious buyers attend a dealership and have it certified / safety in front of them (at a serious buyers expense of course)

When I sold my Trans Am - I took the guy for a ride in it. I certified it for him. But there was no way he'd be driving unless I had cash in my hands - and he was understanding of that.

Finally when he gave me the cash, and I signed it over to him - while driving HIS new car down my street he floored it and went sideways spinning out. He didn't hit anything - but the chance was there that he might have crashed into someone / something.

True story and life lesson :)

I'm glad this question has been asked becuase I've been wondering the same thing since I just put my first bike up for sale. When I bought this bike the guy said he would drive it by , or take me for a ride but wouldn't let me drive it which I could understand. The bike was mint and he was anal as hell so I know it was cared for correctly.

When I started shopping around for a Vmax, I got mixed sellers. Most wanted cash in hand and were willing to drive for me to hear it run. It was ironic becuase out of all the ones I looked at (5), the four that were in not that great of shape, the seller wanted cash in hand prior to taking for a ride. The one I ended up buying was in mint shape, and oddly enough, he let me take it out for 2- 20minute rides(two different days)...

I think I'm going to follow the advice here and require those looking to buy the one I have for sale give me cash in hand and sign something as well. Or I'd give them a ride...

This forum is so helpful..Thanks guys

are ya selling your 04??

Interesting thoughts here. It's really tough to let somebody else ride your bike, whether you are selling or they just want to go for a ride.

I have bought and sold many bikes. I've bought them after test riding and without test riding. I've also sold them with and without test rides.

What I do is first size the person up. If they show up with a motorcycle then that is a big plus. When I am the buyer, I nearly always show up ON a motorcycle to look at motorcycles. If they show up with gear that is well used, that's a big plus. Older is a plus. If they are nervous about letting me ride, then I have them ride the bike while I ride my bike. That usually makes folks fee much better.

After that, I generally will go with them on a ride. Me on a bike, them on the one they are considering for purchase. That's hard to do if your only bike is the one that you are selling ... but seriously now ... who would sell their ONLY bike :confused2: I'm kidding, if you are in a tough spot, then so be it.

If they don't have a bike and they don't have obviously well used gear then I get a bit nervous. Like the guy who asks, "do you have a helmet that I can use?" Uhh .... you didn't bring your helmet? Hmmmm ... In that situation, then I start asking things like, how long have you been riding ... will this be your first bike, etc.

I sold a 650 Savage to a young girl a few years ago who had never ridden. I asked that she PLEASE bring somebody with her who could test drive the bike for her. She did and it worked out just great.

OK, so that was a rambling answer. I'd be careful to demand cash up front. I've walked away from bikes when folks have done that to me. But at the same time, definitely CYA. Just don't assume that all buyers are the same. If the buyer knows how to ride a bike, then I suggest letting him ride it. If you have concerns about their ability, then certainly do not allow them to ride it.

Also, if a non-experienced rider showed up looking at a Vmax, I would frankly tell them to look at a more mellow bike. I don't think this is a learners bike. Neither is my Rocket. Neither are most bullet bikes.

Ugh ... I kept rambling!

Back