Question for you all

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never caught if you were looking at a gen 1 or gen 2? I probabally had the same experience as you when I bought my Gen 1. growing up on dirtbikes and such.. Im not going to lie & I chuckle to (at) myself when I remember the the day that I went to pick it up... I was scared to death.. I believe there is only one way to do something in life..thats to do it. I agree with everyone that you have to treat it with respect no doubt. I got a talking to when I first got it from 2 guys that bought their 85's brand new. Their exact words were, treat it with respect cuz that one time you dont it WILL "get you" so with all that being said, the first thing I thought about when you asked the question was Gen 1 or 2 cuz I can touch the ground better on a 1 with no mods than a 2... now that ive got my suspension done I can touch the ground flat footed & a new seat will only make it better.. Being flat footed (I havent been for 3 years) is HUMUNGOUS!!! Ive sat on a couple of gen 2's and they are a much bigger bike... when my dad got his we pulled them side by side.. the 2 is longer & taller but in the long run the 1 will always be the "original", the record breaker, the head turner, and so on

SV650 was a great 1st street bike for me...quick, comfy, inexpensive, reliable & handled/braked very well...it was a very forgiving bike...

Please be nice to me when answering lol.

I have never owned a bike before, but I have driven a few bikes in the past (cant remember what they were as it was like a 10-15 min drive that buddies owned), driven a lot of quads and ski-doo's. I was looking at getting a new vmax. I am 36yrs old and always wanted a bike to ride around in the summer. Some people that drive bike's all the time are saying it is too big/heavy for a first bike. I am the kind of guy that i want to get something that i am going to like and keep for a long time, not just for 1-2 years and get something different. So is this too much for me? I am 5' 6" 190 pounds and like fast things lol. Also will this sit too high for me to reach the ground properly? i am looking at getting something either this summer, or next spring after i finish my schooling.

Thank you for any insight you can bring to this that i am not thinking of.

the nice thing about a vmax (taken for granted I only know about GenI) is that it`s actually two bikes in one. Has so much low-end torque you can "ride" it like a hardley, and whenever you feel like it/dare to, just gas it and goooooooooooooooooooooooo - best of both worlds! You`ll never regret it! and about weight etc etc, ok, that`s all true when it`s not moving, but as soon as it`s moving that`s gone

and by the way, buy a bike in winter...

Pretty late to the party but IMO you should be fine with a genI as your first bike, as long as you know your limits, so if you don't want to change bikes in the next year or two I'd say go for it. However, if I were you I would start with a Suzuki C50 or something along those lines. You can get one pretty cheap (especially this time of the year) and they are light but still fun to ride and they are fuel injected :). Get at least one season in the seat (preferrably two) sell it and get whatever bike you want.

My point is, it all depends on how comfortable you are on a motorcycle and how quickly you learn. If you are comfortable go for a vmax if you are not go for something smaller, you will not regret it. From your background, I don't think you will have a hard time on a vmax and you'll get a hold of it pretty quickly.

SV650 was a great 1st street bike for me...quick, comfy, inexpensive, reliable & handled/braked very well...it was a very forgiving bike...

I got one for 6 months (first bike) before switching to a vmax.
As I didnt ride much the SV I can say that my vmax is almost my first bike.

Hell yeah a bit scary but manageable if patient and careful.
The worst thing to deal with is the weight. Power is just a matter of taking the time and not being harsh.

I did ride smaller bikes after and really see the difference.

I would say go for a vmax but drive it like grandma at first. Really take ur time. For more fun and faster learning curve, get a lighter bike first.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Please be nice to me when answering lol.

I have never owned a bike before, but I have driven a few bikes in the past (cant remember what they were as it was like a 10-15 min drive that buddies owned), driven a lot of quads and ski-doo's. I was looking at getting a new vmax. I am 36yrs old and always wanted a bike to ride around in the summer. Some people that drive bike's all the time are saying it is too big/heavy for a first bike. I am the kind of guy that i want to get something that i am going to like and keep for a long time, not just for 1-2 years and get something different. So is this too much for me? I am 5' 6" 190 pounds and like fast things lol. Also will this sit too high for me to reach the ground properly? i am looking at getting something either this summer, or next spring after i finish my schooling.

Thank you for any insight you can bring to this that i am not thinking of.

My first bike and only bike has been my 2000 Vmax carbon fiber. It will go as fast as you let it. Drive with respect. Take a motorcycle safety course.

My 1st bike was RD350 back in the 70's, if your looking a GEN-1 vmax learn the bike with ease
that's for sure. I'm kinda new to the vmax bike to, I pick 1 up last year the more time put on the bike the more - I respect the bike. I had 18 bikes in my life time this bike is a keeper for me.
I sold 2005 ZX12R to buy the vmax.

Last edited:
I'll throw my 2 cents in here. I use to think that a big bike was not a good starter bike, but I know quite a few that started on GSXR1000 and Busas that I don't know if it applies any more. Only you know if you can handle a litre sized bike as a first bike. If you understand the power and the speed you can reach in a short span then you should be alright. It all comes down to your right wrist. BTW, the Gen 1 can get you going fast very quickly but (stock) doesn't have the braking power to slow you down as fast. Just understand your abilities and that of your bike.

I gotta say, it would be a terrible mistake to start on a Vmax. You probably started reading threads on here and from the way most guys talk here it doesn't really reflect the Danger of a Vmax. It would be like seeing a Top Fuel forum and after reading enough posts you'd think " hey I wanna do that" but believe me ask most of the Veterans here and they'll tell you some stories that would probably keep you off a bike all together. It's just kinda like the old saying goes " don't try to run before you can walk". One thing about the guys here. We really know if nothing else, every time we get on our hot rod Vmax's it may be the last time we ever do. Patience is something the generation of today's youth is missing. And I didn't even see your age but it doesn't matter because without ANY riding experience your as green as grass and if you like your wife, kids or whoever, think of them before you start playing with a loaded gun. Especially one with a hair trigger like the Vmax. If your serious about riding go buy a dirt bike and ride that for a couple years first cause when you go down ( and you will) you'll thank God it was dirt your face planting into instead of asphalt. I wanted to fly a fighter jet after I saw Top Gun but I didn't try to get an F15! Use common sense. No one here wants to read about your in the in Memorial section. We're a tight knit group that cares and helps each other and we wouldn't be very responsible acting if we didn't try to discourage your First bike from being a overpowered monster that kills indiscriminately. Good luck, hope to hear you make a more responsible choice first. Don't worry, when your ready, we'll still be here.. I hope. Ed✨

You don't yet know how tight your spincter can go until you f*** up on a V-max! :rofl_200:

don't I know it... I high sided mjolnir last summer coming out of a corner sideways. hit vboost and it went full lock, and I went over. bike is hurt but nothing a lil $$$ cant fix. and ive been a hooligan for 5 years nowand know what the beast can do....

about the advice, firemedic, one2dmax, kjshover and all of these guys in here with high post counts are SERIOUSLY respected on this site and will not give you bad advice...

I rode a Suzuki savage for 6 years before stepping up to this bike. I love it, but it reminds me now and then about its size and power.

I see you are in Saskatchewan. im in Regina and can help you with some answers if you like. I have lots of info on western Canadian rides as well. PM me if you want to go for a coffee or beer if you are in the area.

Welcome to the forum and dont be afraid to ask questions, you wont find a better, straight forword no bullshit, informative and friendly forum on the net.

peace,
evan...

edit... POST 420 fack yea

Gruesome how the trailer's brakes locking-up on-top of the poor rider dismembered him.

My riding experiances started on a DT250 and then a YZ250. I learned a lot about what a motorcycle can or couldn't do from wheelies to power sliding to skid braking by riding on dirt. I slid out, high sided, flipped backwards on wheelies, had my front wheel wash out cornering and braking and generally learned the hard way on how to handle a bike in situations not highly dangerous such as there are on the street. My experiance on the DT250 and later a Honda Sabre taught me that riding on the street can be a dangerous if something your not familiar with is happening with the operation of the motorcycle drawing your attention away from the enviroment you are riding in. While these dirt riding type of incidents may or may not happen while riding on the street on a regular basis I still feel that I will know better what the bike is doing if/ when it happens on the street. Those experiances on a 300 lb/ 40 hp bikes will be part of your skill set once you let the clutch out on your 600 lb/ 110 hp Vmax.
Trying to learn on a Vmax can be done but it requires a judicious right hand and knowledge of the bikes limits and more importantly your limits riding this motorcyle. If you do decide on a Vmax for your first bike the riders course will be good lessons that you should practice over and over to build confidence. Your ability to use that confidence so you can make the motorcyle do what you want, when you need it to. In it's stock form it has some inadequacies, especially the pre '93 front brakes/ forks, that can make getting it around corners or even getting it stopped in a reasonable manner a hope and a prayer mixed with a lot of luck. It will wobble when pushed in corners, take 2-3 times the distance stopping than a present day bike, but there are fixes that we can help you with on here.
Best of luck with your decision, the Vmax is a fantastic motorcyle when it's shortcomings are taken care of and the fact that wherever you go people will have a Vmax story to tell and admire it uniqueness.

You don't yet know how tight your spincter can go until you f*** up on a V-max! :rofl_200:
I have been there! While turning left through a intersection, which was crowned, I fed a little too much throttle and after cgoing over the crown the front wheel came off the ground a few inches but I didn't realize it right away which made the bike want to go straight and I wanted to keep on turning by leaning/ pushing down on the left grip. To my surprise the left grip moved very easily so I let off the throttle a bit, the wheel touched down and I instictivly put my left foot out as to hold the bike up in a powerslide because the front wheel wanted to make the bike fall inward. My foot hit and of course didn't slide but it did push me backwards a bit so I pulled up on the left grip by chance which righted the bike a enough for me to very ungracefully ride through the corner. I was riding with the Ontario guys at one of the Spring Icebreakers so needless to say I was redfaced at the next stop, but the rider behind me said he didn't see anything other than I went a little wide. Needless to say my spincter was a little tight after that little maneuver! I had owned my Vmax for 2-3 years by that point and ridden 12-15,000 miles and felt pretty comfortable knowing "what the bike could do". Just goes to show you that things happen quickly and I was lucky that I was probably only doing maybe 20 mph. You add another 50-60 mph to that and a big bump in a corner it most likely would have turned out way different.

Last edited:
Ok first off I say no . There is to much you need to keep your head on. This bike could kill you.
Ok i started riding in 2004 i now have 80,000 miles under my belt first of all every day learning to ride .
This bike can bite hard but you have no idea you think you do but no you don't Now I learned on a Vulcan 800
Great bike and a very fun ride taken some 600 mile trips on it.The safety course is a must . Every one's skill set
Is defrent some can handle a max as a first bike but why stack the deck not in your favor the cars are out to kill you . To trying to learn a bike as powerful as a max at the same time your trying to learn to ride can get you hurt.
When I road my first max the guy thought I would not come back but I read all I could about it so yes I was fine. This bike can come out from under you and it handling is not the best . I would like you to enjoy riding then get hurt and give it up study's show that your age is the most killed on bikes .
Good luck.:)
So wait till you get some miles then look for a max you will be happy you did .Get a book ride hard ride smart it's a great book.

I have been riding since 1986, started on a Suzuki Intruder 750 which was a great bike to start on with low seat height and lightweight but enough power to know your on a real cruiser. I would suggest something along those lines to start on. I have just picked up my first Vmax and even after riding for 27 years I have to admit I am a little intimidated and respectful of the machine. Just my opinion but I wouldn't start on a Vmax of any year. It's not an entry level bike even sport bike riders will tell you it can be intinidating on a windy road. Please dont start on this bike, it would be a bad bad idea for you. Even a year on a starter bike please!

Here is a good example of a starter bike. I brought this home today after waiting for the owner to clear-up the title. It's a 'modern bike' in that it has a counterbalanced six-speed vertical twin, cast aluminum wheels, front disc, electronic ignition, and weighs about 370 lbs. It's a older bike in that it uses traditional 18" x 4.10"rear & 19" front wheels & an air-cooled engine. An upright seating position w/a flat seat and non-cruiser cornering clearance, enough HP (41 crank) to keep you ahead of most traffic in an urban environment and capable of "the ton" if you're willing to tuck-in. Oh, and no chain! Belt-drive like a Harley! Billed by Kawasaki as a 'commuter bike,' it gets nearly 70 mpg in everyday use. This is the kind of bike you should have for 10,000 miles before moving-up to a 600 lb. bike w/110 HP. http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSalwF2gpsNplEqBTecjFHSr1uiiMKDl-FhgymMYoqKViwFGY3zQ

Gonna have to settle for a generic pic for now. My phone can't load the pic. The price was right, it needs a battery & carb kits probably, but still it cost less than a rear VMax tire! A great run-about bike, easy to park & ride, cheap to insure if you have to. Learn how to conserve cornering speed, cheap to maintain and to operate. Much-better than a scooter and it has that traditional '70's/'80's side profile.

There is a lot of good advice here. My first streetbike is my Vmax. Mind you I have grown up on dirt bikes so braking, shifting, cornering, etc is second nature and I just had to apply those skills to the beast that is my Vmax. I was quite fine with it. However I am VERY comfortable on two wheels. Only you can decide how comfortable you are. The Gen I Vmax's won't buck you off if you open your throttle slowly. You need to be very familiar with motorcycle controls such as braking shifting and applying throttle so that there are no instances where panic makes you do things you never intended (such as braking aggressively in a turn). They are a heavy bike however my 97 handles quite well. Use your best judgment.

You'll be fine.

This is my first bike in 1962 at 15 1/2 years of age in the crowded Los Angeles area. And it was heavier than a Gen II VMax:

img037_zps06d9b9cb.jpg

Last edited:
Imagine how much more painful that learning curve would have been if your bike had enough power to kill you instead of just fall over.
:eusa_dance:

Latest posts

Back