R6 rotors

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbostang

Reaction score
Is it possible to use a set of front rotors from an 03 R6 on an 88 Max. If anyone has successfully done this, what parts needed to be swapped.
I know some guys have used R1 rotors, but I am unsure if the R6's are a possibility. I can get a new set really cheap and hope they will fit.

comparing the 03 R6 with R1 part # of rotors from Ronayers micro fitch
R6# 5SL-2581T-00-00
R1# 5JJ-2581T-11-00
Two different part # so I guess no.
________
Toyota Century

Last edited:
firefly said:
comparing the 03 R6 with R1 part # of rotors from Ronayers micro fitch
R6# 5SL-2581T-00-00
R1# 5JJ-2581T-11-00
Two different part # so I guess no.
Compare part numbers of 88 Vmax rotors to any year R1 rotor.
88 VMAX# 2HY-25831-10-00
Two different part numbers so wont fit?

Waylander said:
Compare part numbers of 88 Vmax rotors to any year R1 rotor.
88 VMAX# 2HY-25831-10-00
Two different part numbers so wont fit?

I would think so but could be wrong, its kinda hard unless someone actually did it and is sure it works.
________
Toyota FCHV specifications

Last edited:
firefly said:
I would think so but could be wrong, its kinda hard unless someone actually did it and is sure it works.
Part numers dont mean alot man. Size and mounting specs do.

Take a close look at how the R6 rotors are mounted and what spacings are needed for the calipers and such Turbostang.

Though I think the best way to find out is to just try it and see. It may need some extra farication work to make it work properly but from what I've read elsewhere, mounting the R1 rotors needed that too.

I have R1 rotors on the front of my 88, and I'm pretty sure the R6 are the same rotors. Just remember that the rotors are larger so you have to relocate your caliper.

Buster Hymen said:
I have R1 rotors on the front of my 88, and I'm pretty sure the R6 are the same rotors. Just remember that the rotors are larger so you have to relocate your caliper.

did they bolt up to the wheel, and all you and to do was relocate the caliper?

turbostang said:
did they bolt up to the wheel, and all you and to do was relocate the caliper?

Yes, the rotors were a direct bolt on. I made up a brace so I could mount 6 pot Tokico calipers off a GSXR.

Waylander said:
Damn, bet that pulls you up pretty quick.
:D The difference was amazing. Besides radials, that was probably the best mod I did... and the suspension!

turbostang said:
What year Gixxer were the calipers from?

I think they were off a 2000. It is the "bigger" size Tokicos before they "shrunk" them.

Buster Hymen said:
I think they were off a 2000. It is the "bigger" size Tokicos before they "shrunk" them.

Did they look like this? And am I better offf gettting a set of R1 or GSXR1000 usd forks while I am at it?
0e_2.JPG

Last edited:
turbostang said:
Did they look like this? And am I better offf gettting a set of R1 or GSXR1000 usd forks while I am at it?

You'de have to get new trees to fit the larger tope end of the forks if you went USD, but if that's not a problem then go for it. Would help your handeling heaps.

Makes the bike look much fatter than it is though.

turbostang said:
0e_2.JPG
Those are the newer shrunk down style, but will still fit with a brace. They are actually easier to fit as the holes are very close to lining up. The older ones, like I have are usually the gold coloured ones. In the 2 pictures below, the first picture shows the "newer" style and how close to a fit they are and the 2nd picture shows my older style 6 pots. I know with the older style, my brake line (braided) ends bolted straight up to the old style with no bending or any other mods. I don't know about the newer style, but they look similar.
As for the USD forks... that involves quite a few expensive mods to pull off. Try the brakes first. I running mine with the stock brake cylinder and there is a big difference.

Attachments

• img_4234.JPG
    img_4234.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 13
  • P0000412800640.jpg
    P0000412800640.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 13
Back