Radials on stock rims? yes/no

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnclePhilthy

Reaction score
Searching for some Shinko TourMasters... 170-80-15 & 110-90-18, as highly recommended by a certain #1 resident tire destroyer...

Found a good buy..was just about to go for it...when I noticed that they seem to be radials... can't find the same in bias ply...

So what's the deal...will the radials fit and run on my stock y2k wheels?

If so ... Yipeee!! If not, where are the bias one's located these days?

Thanks, Philthy

Interesting question! I'm looking at new tires as soon as poss as mine are all but shot, and I wanna see how much fresh rubber and a good balance will go towards curing my high speed turns deadly wobbles..

I also looked at Shinkos, found the exact same sizes you listed at bikebandit for about $110 (both) + delivery, but that price seems to have gone now :bang head:

Just out of interest, what deal did you find, and would you be interested in getting two sets and sharing the shipping costs, assuming it works out cheaper?

And if they're radials and good to go, well that's just brilliant. I thought the only reason we couldn't have rads was because they simply weren't available, but let's find out!

Well Shinko are most definitely the only ones to make a V-rated tire in our stock size. They are also definitely radials according to everywhere I've looked. Did some serious online searching, and here's the best deal I could find: BikeBandit! Check the attached pic for the price (both tires!!) and ground shipping to me (FL) is $7.95 :punk:

Attachments

• Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 54
Well Shinko are most definitely the only ones to make a V-rated tire in our stock size. They are also definitely radials according to everywhere I've looked. Did some serious online searching, and here's the best deal I could find: BikeBandit! Check the attached pic for the price (both tires!!) and ground shipping to me (FL) is $7.95 :punk:

Wow!! Hard to not go for that deal. :eusa_dance:

But back to Unc's question, will the radials work on stock rims?

Anyone have any idea what the tread life of the Shinko is?

I would call first. I don't think those are radials and the website maybe wrong. I checked the same tire on other web sites and they're bias-ply.

I would call first. I don't think those are radials and the website maybe wrong. I checked the same tire on other web sites and they're bias-ply.

Just called Bike Bandit, spoke with Josiah (ext. 676), he checked his suppliers catalog and said tires were listed as radials with them also.

Just a gut feeling, I think it would be a good idea to do more research, I'm not totally confident with this result.

He did say radials could be mounted on stock rims with no problems also.

I would have them read the side wall of the tire. If it doesn't say VR15 then it isn't radial.

Lankee is our Shinko expert, what do you think?

Mark is right, as per usual!
Here is a quote from Shinko's website describing the 230 Tour Master Rear:

"Our goal with the 230 Tour Master was to design a tire capable of carrying high loads for long distances—in wet or dry weather. Belted construction adds great handling and ride comfort. All this at a price that leaves money in your pocket so you can enjoy riding even more. Other features include:
  • V rated (149 mph)
  • Staggered tread ignores rain and offers a quiet ride
  • Tubeless, 4 ply nylon carcass
  • DOT approved "
So, alas, no radial love for the Vmax rear tire. Meh, it needs too lose weight anyways, so why not in new wheel/ tire combo? Just adds more to the personalization of our lovely Vmax's!:punk:

Yes they will work as long as they are the correct size. It has nothing to do with the fact that they are radials, its the size.

Some people have used a 120/70/18 radial on the front stock rim when doing a rear conversion and trying to save money buy not doing the front conversion, but in theory the front rim is too narrow for a 120/70/18 tire.

Mark is right, as per usual!
Here is a quote from Shinko's website describing the 230 Tour Master Rear:

"Our goal with the 230 Tour Master was to design a tire capable of carrying high loads for long distances?in wet or dry weather. Belted construction adds great handling and ride comfort. All this at a price that leaves money in your pocket so you can enjoy riding even more. Other features include:
  • V rated (149 mph)
  • Staggered tread ignores rain and offers a quiet ride
  • Tubeless, 4 ply nylon carcass
  • DOT approved "
So, alas, no radial love for the Vmax rear tire. Meh, it needs too lose weight anyways, so why not in new wheel/ tire combo? Just adds more to the personalization of our lovely Vmax's!:punk:

Yup!! Just got of the phone with Redbone's tire supplier-Tires Unlimited, they said BIAS!! Prices Rear-$80.17, Front-$57.73 Shipping to 12075 $19.48 Total $157.38.

Yup!! Just got of the phone with Redbone's tire supplier-Tires Unlimited, they said BIAS!! Prices Rear-$80.17, Front-$57.73 Shipping to 12075 $19.48 Total $157.38.
Friggin' U.P. - The only place in the U.S. that UPS will not guarantee overnight delivery! I paid $19.07 shipping for 1 tire to 49715!
Gar! Capt'n Redbone thinks thar may be sculldugery goings on har!:th_skullsmilie:

"So, alas, no radial love for the Vmax rear tire. Meh, it needs too lose weight anyways, so why not in new wheel/ tire combo?"

Uhmmmm...COST FACTOR....not to mention, I really like my OEM wheels....just the way they are...

"Just out of interest, what deal did you find, and would you be interested in getting two sets and sharing the shipping costs, assuming it works out cheaper?"

Can't see the advantage there NG, same unit price for each tire regardless of how many would be ordered..., and double the shipping rate based on weight...

So it seems, NOT likely radials...that's still ok with me...seems a real good tire for a real decent price....

Still waiting for LY to check in....

Thanks to all so far, for the good info!

Danny...whata I owe ya for the phone bills?...

'Unc'

well the ground shipping stays at $7.95 if I order two pairs of tires. There is, however, a $19.80 'handling charge' which is $9.90 for one pair...

So the total saving is... 7.95! Hardly worth it - and there may be a very slightly better deal somewhere else 'cos of that silly handling they add to the price!

What's really infuriating is that they would have sold me the same two tires for $114.66 only two weeks ago.. :bang head::bang head::bang head:

Just called Bike Bandit, spoke with Josiah (ext. 676), he checked his suppliers catalog and said tires were listed as radials with them also.

Just a gut feeling, I think it would be a good idea to do more research, I'm not totally confident with this result.

He did say radials could be mounted on stock rims with no problems also.
Hmmmm, did he mean the front tire? If so, then that maybe so. Since there is no rear radial for the Vmax, then he was just trying to pad his commisions. I had bad dealings with the bike bandit before so I may a little jaded in my opinion of them FWIW.

Well Uncle Philthy, right nice of ya' to offer, 'preciate it. No $'s necessary but, if you can arrainge it, I'd really like a box of that FL sunshine (ain't even got to be a big one) sometime around Jan or Feb. Just send it UPS, tell the guy to give it to the dude standing in his garage staring at a v max, and yes, with a tiny tear in his eye! :biglaugh:

Redbone- The guy just said radials would fit stock rims, not Shinko 230 Tourmasters. But, like I said, I didn't have a ton of faith in this dude, so I called your guy @ Tires Unlimited. He had it right. :clapping:

Sure enough the Bike Bandit guy was wrong. He said if the tires weren't radials Bike Bandit would make it right. Told him, that's not the point dude, I would expect that they would make it right, but I'm wanting to avoid that whole situation. :bang head:

FWIW

Latest posts

Back