Raptor Shift Light Cover

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell

Reaction score
Ok, call be dumb. But I never liked those cheap looking rubber covers that fit over my Raptor shift light. Found these tuning fork gel decals on ebay at $5 for a set. They stick "perfectly" over the open end of the shift light just like they were made for it:eusa_dance: And the best part is, the led's still shine through the decal and rotate when you turn on the igniton. It looks :punk:

Last edited:
can u take pic/video of them on the bike?

looks really nice man......

I am looking into a shift light eventually wanted to get an idea of how some people mount them and whatnot.

You like yours? if you don't mind me asking how much/where'd u get it/easy to mount?

looks really nice man......

I am looking into a shift light eventually wanted to get an idea of how some people mount them and whatnot.

You like yours? if you don't mind me asking how much/where'd u get it/easy to mount?

Thanks. Only downfall is you cant see the light well on a bright sunny day. I don't remember where I purchased mine, all I remember it that it was some tuner car company out of Florida and it was the lowest price I could find at the time.

Google Raptor shift light or go to www.raptorperformance.com

Several guys have had good luck with this one as well. http://www.harlan-engineering.com/store/shiftlight/shiftlight.html It has 1 less led and is 1/4" larger in diameter. However, it cost half the price of the Raptor:eusa_dance: Anyway, there are plenty of choices out there to choose from.

I can give a bump for the Harlan shift light. It was easy to install, configure, and works well. This is the first shift light I have ever used so I have nothing to compare it to. I have mine mounted on the right side of the speedo like Mitchell. It is easy to see b/c the lights are bright, even in full sunlight. No covers are needed as it comes as a waterproof unit. I had to extend the wiring to reach the connectors on the stock tachometer.

seems like a pretty good product. You have a pic of it installed?

I was thinking of buying an 06 spedo cover (whichever ones are black stock) or painting mine and that would probably go good with the black shift light....

EDIT: wow... i ordered a chrome speedo cover for my '94 earlier this summer for $39. Now i look and they're $73!!!!!!

I will try to get a pic sometime this week. It is just mounted with industrial velcro ATM. I am going to decide the final location during winter downtime but it probably will be mounted like Mitchell's.

I'm probably gonna end up doing a harlan. Quick question:

what rpm's do you guys have yours set at? Do you have it at the redline, or a tad before to allow for reaction time or something...?

good to know. Whats interesting is that on my old '94 the redline on the tach said 9500, but on my 2003 the redline says 9000. does that make sense at all?

Yeah, Yamaha realized the Vmax engine can't take a lot of 9500 rpm runs I'm guessing.

Yes, the gods at yamaha figured out that the rods don't like the high rpm's. It only took them about 20 years to figure it out.

It took Sean 2 weeks. lol

haha.. good call.

when i first went and looked at the bike i was worried somehow someone got a non-vboost vmax into the states. one spin around the block and the sound of the servo motor diminished those fears, but I was still curious about the 500rpm change...

thanks for the info sean and mark.

I have mine set for 8800 rpms, but I like to see the purty red light flash. :biglaugh:
I am still working on getting the pictures of the harlan. It won't be nothing earth shattering b/c it looks like any other black shift light mounted to the speedometer.:confused2:

I have mine set for 8800 rpms, but I like to see the purty red light flash. :biglaugh:
I am still working on getting the pictures of the harlan. It won't be nothing earth shattering b/c it looks like any other black shift light mounted to the speedometer.:confused2:

What did you guys use for the harlan settings? going to put mine in soon.. right now in the process of sanding and painting an extra speedo cover that i'm going to mount the tachlight to.

do you have to do 2 cyl and like 1/2 RPMs or something? or did you just use 4 cyl and full RPMs.. let me know!

Latest posts

Back