rear heads

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trickster

Reaction score
can anybody on here tell me the difference in the rear heads on a vmax
my as a number R IFKOO Y3 theres also a R IFKOO2 so whats the difference .MAy need a new head so doing some checking out just in case i need one.
any ideas
cheers:bang head:

Not sure there is any appreciable difference.

Sean
cheers Sean
how can i find out 100%, any ideas spent biggest part of yesterday trying to find out.
dont think am being cheeky but whats your background with the v max?
you work on them?
cheers
Rick
p.s.thanks for taking the time to help me out:punk:

Sean is very well versed in the performance aspects of the Vmax and singularly dedicated to customer service satisfaction among those providing items and service for Vmax owners. I doubt you could find a supplier/service provider more generous with His time or knowledge in any field then Sean. I know I am not alone in making His facebook page a daily stop for inspiration and his shop a first stop for any dream parts. The guy talked a world class wheel manufacturer(sp?) into a new run of rare super light wheels for us, for crying out loud.

cheers Sean
how can i find out 100%, any ideas spent biggest part of yesterday trying to find out.
you work on them?
cheers
Rick
Sean is the go to guy for Vmax +. Yes, before any dealer. No one will help you out more. Or, give you better info.

Sean is very well versed in the performance aspects of the Vmax and singularly dedicated to customer service satisfaction among those providing items and service for Vmax owners. I doubt you could find a supplier/service provider more generous with His time or knowledge in any field then Sean. I know I am not alone in making His facebook page a daily stop for inspiration and his shop a first stop for any dream parts. The guy talked a world class wheel manufacturer(sp?) into a new run of rare super light wheels for us, for crying out loud.

+1, THE best Vmax resource you could ever hope to find!

Sent from my Tapatalk enabled iPhone w/ V-boost.

Others here have a great deal of knowledge about Vmax's but Sean is God of the Vmax IMHO.

I'm workin on the 9k :confused2:but will never know as much as about Vmax's as Sean....:sad2:

LOL, as the guys have posted I may know a little about them. Been riding and working on them since 88 so I've got a few years experience. Try clicking on the links in my signature to get some ideas how much we do (which still doesn't picture everything).

If there is anything specifically different about the years of the heads I have not found it yet.

Sean

cheers Sean
you work on them?
cheers
Rick
hay Sean
did not mean anything derogatory in asking you how much you know about the v max, the lads on here have put me right,its just that i have had this problem with my max its amazing some of the things people have told me
is wrong with her, and not knowing alot about them my self,its getting crazy.The guys on here and on v max chat have been brilliant so far.You just have to ask the folks in the know.........if you want to know!
cheers Sean
for taking the time to help
Cheers
Rick

Anytime and no offense taken. You still have a lot of posts to explore and add yourself! Welcome again and have fun!

Sean
if you get any time ......would you take a look at my video in carb/tuning
under "carb problem" would like to see what you think [ post #78]
cheers
Rick
p.s. no harm in asking,
p.p.s. do you know if carlos satana plays the guitar......lol:rofl_200:

Last edited:
The castings themselves are likely identical, the machining is not. The front and rear are not interchangeable.

The cam chain tensioner is towards the rear of each head (or bike) as referenced from how it's mounted on the bike.

They look identical but are rotated 180 degrees to make a front and rear one, but the tensioner still has to be towards the rear due to the direction the engine turns, the "pull" side of the cam chain is the front side of the bike.

Both front and rear heads are cast with a mounting boss for the tensioner on both sides of the head, but only the appropriate boss is machined for each head making them different.

Yamaha also lists these heads as no longer being available new from Yammy.

The castings themselves are likely identical, the machining is not. The front and rear are not interchangeable.

The cam chain tensioner is towards the rear of each head (or bike) as referenced from how it's mounted on the bike.

They look identical but are rotated 180 degrees to make a front and rear one, but the tensioner still has to be towards the rear due to the direction the engine turns, the "pull" side of the cam chain is the front side of the bike.

Both front and rear heads are cast with a mounting boss for the tensioner on both sides of the head, but only the appropriate boss is machined for each head making them different.

Yamaha also lists these heads as no longer being available new from Yammy.
cheers Rusty
thank for taking the time to add input
Rick

If you were hard up for a replacement I bet you could easily machine the "spare" boss and make it interchangeable, putting a block off plate on the unused side.
cheers again rusty
but i am thinking to replace just the rear head.....and notice there are different "numbers" on them ...RIFK00 Y2 / RIFKOOY3
must say they look the same .....but who knows.......lol

Back