Rear tire PSI?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxx72

Reaction score
I'm wondering how folks like to run their maxxes rear PSI?

Personally I've always run it about 8-10lbs under to help hookup and well, with my shortened suspension I'll take a little extra mush out back.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to run at max MFR listed psi, to improve mileage and tire life. MPG has improved a little I must admit, tire life certainly has not, as I've found I've traded those low skimmer wheelies under WOT for *much* more frequent smokies. The first time it happened I thought my clutch was starting to give, as it was a hammer drop in third from 5k, and I'm not used to Max breaking loose in anything but first or second (I run a 150 tire fwiw). However a quick tread inspection proved sure enough, smoked that puppy.

So now I can't decide. while freeway burnouts are cool, I imagine it'll cost me a lot in tires, but running lower adversely affects mileage and handling (altho it's a bit easier on my butt).

How do y'all prefer it?

I run mine at 34psi most of the time - I'm just about 90kgs so with my hard bags, laptop and a few bit I reckon that makes it about standard.
I'm not doing any wheelies (lose yer license for 10 years in FL if your wheels leave the ground) and even in 1st gear I haven't managed a power wheelie yet. I've spun my rear quite a few times but can't afford to smoke it - too many miles not enough $$..

So far the Shinkos have done almost 5000 miles, and the rear is starting to look squared off (where are the turns in FL sigh..) but still has thread and life in it.

I'm kinda scared to go low PSI with all my highway riding, and am pretty happy with the way it handles until I try turning above 75mph!

I run mine at 34psi most of the time - I'm just about 90kgs so with my hard bags, laptop and a few bit I reckon that makes it about standard.
I'm not doing any wheelies (lose yer license for 10 years in FL if your wheels leave the ground) and even in 1st gear I haven't managed a power wheelie yet. I've spun my rear quite a few times but can't afford to smoke it - too many miles not enough $$..

So far the Shinkos have done almost 5000 miles, and the rear is starting to look squared off (where are the turns in FL sigh..) but still has thread and life in it.

I'm kinda scared to go low PSI with all my highway riding, and am pretty happy with the way it handles until I try turning above 75mph!
had almost 8000 miles with stock bridgestones and tires looked in great shape..as i remember Dan probably burned them off by now with all his test rides

had almost 8000 miles with stock bridgestones and tires looked in great shape..as i remember Dan probably burned them off by now with all his test rides

Cause you ride like a lil girl you big Sissy!

If you are worried about tire life scooters are very good about tire wear and they dont tend to spin in 3rd gear,, one cause they have no transmission (glad I didnt say tranny some get excited) anyways and most of all they lack in the tire smoking department. You own a muscle bike ride it like a muscle bike. If you want gas mileage and tire life run a 150CC scooter..

To answer your question. tire PSI depends on rider weight etc. So in all honesty this can vary say some guy that weighs 340lbs ran 20 PSI his rear tire is going to look like donut you through at a wall, now say a rider like me weighing 120 lbs at 6ft 7 it would be good..
Best way is to just spin the tire a small amount from a take off on some good black top.. and compare the foot print..
with a 150 tire you would want to see a solid 2.5-3.0in blk mark

Latest posts

Back