Removing Stator

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridinnoshiftin

Reaction score
Well let me start off by offering a big thank you to the members of this forum. This forum is better than my Yamaha Service Manual any day. That being said, I was having charging issues and found out it was a bad stator. By the way, the resistance check looked fine but the A.C. output was low on one set of windings. It is an "88 that I picked up a month ago and trying to fix the sins from the previous owner. I have gotten a new stator and R/R but ran into some issues. As you know, Yamaha in its wisdom, used cheap soft phillips head screws with loctite for the stator and the trigger coil brackets. Even putting some heat to the stator screws I can not get them to budge. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. At least the bracket that holds the stator wire out of the way is a seperate piece from the trigger coils. That will be a nightmare if they have to get changed too. I don't know what the previous owner did or had done, but the screws will not break free. About the only thing I can think of is to have the screw heads milled off and try to get the remaining threaded portion out with vise grips and a bit of heat. The stator and cover act like a heat sink so it bleeds of the heat quickly. The wire retaining bracket may be worse as the screws will only stick out the thickness of the sheet metal bracket. They probably will have to be drilled out and retapped. I am afraid to put too much heat to the screws and also fear of ruining the trigger coils from the heat. Any suggestions I am open to hear. I do have new screws for the stator and they certainly aren't soft phillips heads :bang head:.

I used an impact screwdriver on mine to remove the screws. Make sure the bit is a tight fit on the screw.

i "easy-out"ed them and replaced with hex-heads. after doing the same thing with the carbs, i realized that there was no need to over complicate matters by trying to keep the stupid things--i wasn't gonna their feelings. they did the job they were assigned to do, but it was time for them to retire and let the new kids come in and take over.

I just did the same as Buster mentioned. Ninjaneer's idea of replacing the screws is a great idea. I put mine back with blue loctite and my impact driver...

Here is a pic of a hand held impact screw driver/remover. All bike shops have them, they are a must for a bike shop owner. If you take the cover to them they may charge you a few bucks to remove the screws themselves. Autozone may have one they lend out with a deposit to ensure you return it, so its actually free. Sears sell them :Craftsman Impact Driver
Sears item #00947641000
$25.

Attachments

• JIS-impact.JPG
    JIS-impact.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 27
i had to use a vice grip on the screws that hold the metal piece on.

Thank you all for the quick replies. I did try my impact screwdriver with no luck either. I am going to try once again tonight to get them out. I have a local shop that will do the task if I fail, but he is on vacation until October 10th. So failure is not an option! Just trying not to make this a more expensive adventure than it already has become. I will keep you posted. Looking to get up and running for some fall foliage rides.

Warping the cover is a valid concern....both my stator cover and the middle gear cover warped the first time I removed them(to change the stator). I had an incessant oil leak for months until I realized the covers didn't sit flat anymore, nothing would seat it, finally I just pressed both up to a giant disc sander until there were no more "low spots", new gasket, no more leaks.

I got all my screws out with a very large philips screwdriver with a hex nut on the shaft to put a wrench on. I laid on it with all my weight while turning the wrench. I don't have an impact. They were very tight, and just as I though I was about to round them off they cracked loose. I skipped the loc-tite on the reinstall, haven't had any issues in over a year.

Back