Resistance for Spark Plug Wires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMike

Reaction score
I'm getting readings from 8.66k ohms to 9.25k ohms for the plug wires. Any one know what's acceptable? I've read aprox. 1000 ohms per foot and these are about a foot. Original 7 year old wires I believe and I have some new ones on order. Thanks,Mike

I was wondering the same thing. I measured 9.30 to 9.60 K-ohms through just the spark plug terminals. I took the springs, copper plate, resistor, and end-cap off on each one and cleaned everything and put it back together. I'm not familiar with what the coils require, so I am not messing with anything. If anyone can direct me to a good article to better understand how the v-max ignition works, I would appreciate it. The bike is factory and has resistor plugs and 10-k resistor style terminals. Thanks.

I thought I had my stock wires still, but I couldn't find them. I just grabbed one of my wires and boots from my bike.
It's 13.5" of 8mm spiral core flavor with NGK SBO5E 5ohm boots. After setting my meter to 20k ohms, my reading was 5.48. With just the boot it was 5.27 and just the wire was .43

Last edited:
I run regular non resistor boots/ends and suppression wire. If I remember correctly they around 5-6k ohms for the length I'm using.

I though the factory wires were non suppression???
Just plain wire??
Never measured them but without the resistor boots I'd think they'd be less than 4-5 ohms.

I knew I had a stock plug wire and boot in the garage somewhere.
Measuring the wire alone, No resistance. 0.00 on the meter.
Measuring the boot, 8.98 rang up on the meter. and when the boot was put back on the wire, it still read 8.98

Thanks Everyone for your comments. Sparkplug endcaps were all consistant at 9K and wires were zero. So I guess I'm within the stock specs. Happy Holidays All.

Everything which conducts electricity always has a resistance. V-max stock cables are copper as stated which results with very low resistance - we can ignore that.
Also as noted the required resistor is instaled inside spark plug cap - removing that resistance may result with a spark plug overload which surley will reduce the life of the plug.

Back