Riding jacket

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a few jackets. I have 2 Joe Rocket leather jackets for cold weather,
a Joe Rocket mesh jacket for summer and a tourmaster cortech textile type jacket for all weather. I used to wear the leather jackets a lot but after I got the tourmaster textile jacket it has become my jacket of choice due to it's weight and features. I bought them all on ebay. Some were used and some were closeouts. The used ones I bought were probably from guys who either outgrew them or rode for a season and then gave it up. They were all in perfect condition. Go to a store to try them on but buy them online. Leatherup.com and motorcyclegear.com are good websites and Ebay is always a good bet. I probably got all 4 of my jackets for the price of 2 brand new ones.

Dave Despain used to host MotoWorld, my favorite motorcycle TV show. Off the air for quite a few years now. Remember when Speedvision (now Speed) used to have "Two Wheel Tuesdays". Tuesday was mostly devoted to motorcycle related shows. Now Speed is the NASCAR TV Channel. Only m/c shows they have now are the races which are treated like filler. :bang head:

"tonyg-5386" said, " Go to a store to try them on but buy them online."

While I understand this is one way to 'cheat the stealership,' I always go to a local aftermarket parts supplier's store first to see if he has what I want to buy. For things like tires, batteries, brakes, fluids, clothing, helmets, etc., I can usually find what I want and take it home instead of waiting for the white or brown delivery vans, or the USPS. They can order most of what I need that they don't stock, and it usually comes in quickly from Parts Unlimited or Tucker-Rocky. For N.O.S., I still have to go to the dealer, or order online.

Is it worth the $ you save by 'going to the local store & then ordering online?' If you don't patronize the local dealers/shops, they may not be around when you want something. If you're buying used, then that's different, as for clothes. My aftermarket dealer is very competitive with online stores, and I walk out with what I need. Maybe that's because he is online too.

Yes, there are smartphone apps which allow you to swipe/scan a barcode and alert you to other retailers' prices, and their geographic proximity to you if your phone has g.p.s.

Dave Despain used to host MotoWorld, my favorite motorcycle TV show. Off the air for quite a few years now. Remember when Speedvision (now Speed) used to have "Two Wheel Tuesdays". Tuesday was mostly devoted to motorcycle related shows. Now Speed is the NASCAR TV Channel. Only m/c shows they have now are the races which are treated like filler. :bang head:

Yes, I liked MotoWorld too. They did a good mix of competition and news/reviews. It was obviously assembled by people who cared about two-wheeled sport. Dave Despain is a big guy! I bet he's about 6'3" or a bit more. He was friendly and gracious. His ride at Daytona was a well-used KLR650 with a lot of touring capacity-extra gas, good storage, lights, weather protection, etc. It kinda matched his jacket in the picture, seasoned and well-used, not pretty, but very functional and useful.

If you order it from Motorcycle Superstore, and it costs over $150, I have a coupon code that'll get you $20 off.

Honestly I've never heard "bad" things about any one particular brand. Overall quality across the board is pretty good, even on less expensive items.

There's three basic styles...leather, textile, and mesh. Personally I love my Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket. Light, armored, air blows through it, it never gets hot, and seem to remember it was like $150. Had it for 4 seasons now and not a single problem to report. It also has a removable liner for cooler days. Waterproof pocket for cellphone/ipod, all pockets zip shut, it doesn't flap about at speed, and dries quickly after unexpected soakers.

I like Icon stuff as well, but all their jackets are too "extreme" styled for me. I don't need skulls and flames and sayings and enormous logos all over my gear. The Phoenix is just a simple black with a Rocket patch on the shoulders and that's it. Black jacket, black helmet, chrome mirrored vizor...I look like a bad-azz lol

So in other words shop around until you see a style you'll like. It's pretty unlikely you'll be disappointed. Motorcycle superstore has tons of reviews for everything as well, so read up....

Got a cycle gear.com mailer & it has BiLT gear, one is an all weather jacket called the Typhoon for $100 that is about as cheap as you are going to find. may be a local store by you.

Wow fellas! I appreciate the responces, there are so many choices out there, I should have given more details about my riding style..............I'm a 3 season rider, don't go out if temps are under 45 deg unless I have to, don't like wet weather riding tho I have been caught out in it on occasion, and I plan on a few visits to my local dragstrip, I like the idea of armored protection, removable liner for warm weather riding, some sort of water resistance, and somthing I could wear on an 80 deg + ride and not spontaniously combust within it, looks like I've got some homework to do.............I'll keep everyone informed...............Thanks again!.............Tom.

i I HAVE A ONE-OFF " COP RUNNER CUSTOM " ABOUT $500.00 AND 40 HOURS , INVESTED . :punk:

Attachments

• 000_0217.jpg
    000_0217.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 15
  • 100_1278.jpg
    100_1278.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_1283.jpg
    100_1283.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_1288.jpg
    100_1288.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_1275.jpg
    100_1275.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 100_1293.jpg
    100_1293.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 100_1295.jpg
    100_1295.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 17
I'm kind of a jacket hoarder lol, I actually have a leather Icon with a heavy zip-out liner and removable armor and back pad with great ventilation. I have a Scorpion textile lightweight jacket with removable windbreaker and removable armor, perfect for hot weather. I also have a Joe Rocket Textile with removable liner vest and removable armor. Lastly I have an older Wilson leather with removable liner. Here in Michigan you need a jacket that can convert from riding in 40 degrees up to 89 degrees or have more then one. The hard part is sizing these jackets, never fails if you order it on line you will have to send it back for a different size:bang head: You can find great Ebay deals on used high end jackets, just make sure you know what size you need for that particular brand before buying.

1. Vanson http://www.vansonleathers.com/
2. Fox Creek http://www.foxcreekleather.com/
2. Schott http://www.schottnyc.com/

You don't have to spend this much money on a jacket to get a good one. To get the best, however, you do. I've been riding for 26 years, and a good case of road rash during one of the early ones taught me the importance of good leather.

EBay can be a good source for top quality stuff at a good price. I got a Mark 2 Cobra in virtually new condition, in size 56 for $220 delivered. That's a $600 savings :biglaugh: I like my jacket as much as I like my VMax, and I'll most likely have it for a lot longer.

_DSC0754.jpg
_DSC0754.jpg

At this point I'm leaning towards the Tourmaster Flex jacket, I will be visiting a local Yami dealer that carries them to get more info and see one for myself after work today...........................

1. Vanson http://www.vansonleathers.com/
2. Fox Creek http://www.foxcreekleather.com/
2. Schott http://www.schottnyc.com/

You don't have to spend this much money on a jacket to get a good one. To get the best, however, you do. I've been riding for 26 years, and a good case of road rash during one of the early ones taught me the importance of good leather.

EBay can be a good source for top quality stuff at a good price. I got a Mark 2 Cobra in virtually new condition, in size 56 for $220 delivered. That's a $600 savings :biglaugh: I like my jacket as much as I like my VMax, and I'll most likely have it for a lot longer.

_DSC0754.jpg
_DSC0754.jpg
I have a friend that has a Vanson jacket and they are very nice. I didn't know that you could get armor in them as well, they seem like they would last a lifetime, short of a fall.

Liked the look and arrangement of the Tourmaster air intake jacket, the salesman will make me a pakage deal on both the jacket and a new helmet that's equal to the online prices I have found, any thoughts on the jacket before I pull the trigger?..............Thanks...........Tom.

I saw the http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Intake-Air-Series-2-Jacket-p-269_3.html
& it looks to have what you want in a jacket. I prefer a bit longer fit in the rear, more capable of warmth when you need it. They make a good product. The material is high-count fabric where you need it, I would be very surprised to see it wear thru in event of a spill & it certainly is not going to in the CE armored areas. Have you seen the studies about helmet color? White is by far the most visible to motorists. I see the jackets may come w/a big white panel in the rear, that together w/a white helmet may make the difference in visibility, but all bets are off when it's someone eating, applying makeup, talking on the phone, oh, and driving...

Look inside the helmet beneath the upholstery for the manufacture date, just like you were checking a book out of the library, it will say, "Oct. 17, 2010" & you want to get the freshest one you can, it is not unlikely you may find a helmet from 2008 or 2009 on sale, that's why they sell them so cheaply. Check the manufacturer's warranty, some are from the manufacture date & not, for instance, "2 yrs. from your date of purchase." Be sure it fits, I never believe them that " it will loosen w/time." if it's snug enough to be uncomfortable in the store, do you want to wear it until it becomes "comfortable?" I cannot wear an Arai, I have tried, but Shoeis fit me pretty well, but the helmet I bough recently is a Shark Evoline ST Series II "Sharktooth" (provision for Bluetooth, their system's name is Sharktooth), in the white "Moovit" pattern. It is a modular, has an interior sun shield, an exterior clear shield (changeable), & the col feature is that the pivoting chinbar rotates almost 180 degrees to rest on the posterior of the helmet where it blends in to look like a spoiler. I have owned BMW (Schuberth?)& Shoei modular helmets & this one is at least as quiet as those, & has great ventilation. I got one in XL which fits nicely, from my local dealer for > 1/3 off list $. All modular tend to be noisier than non opening helmets but this one is OK for me. I really like the integration of the chin bar when open. Of course the interior is removable for washing. I looked at the Nolan & Scorpion helmets w/similar features but the one I wore home was the Shark.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...ivisionId=1&DepartmentId=38&ItemStyleId=33961
Get the most comfortable jacket and helmet you can find w/features which are important to your use & enjoyment. If the store is meeting Internet prices, they want your business, if what they have works for you, I think you answered your own question.

Thank you for the input!.......I compared the Air intake model to the Senora which is slightly longer in store, I liked the fit of the intake better and was comfortable wearing it, the helmet I'm looking at is the HJC CL16 Slayer model in black/silver, it is Snell/DOT approved so I will meet tech at the drag strip, the one I tried on was a large and I thought it fit slightly tight but the salesman said it would loosen up somewhat, after what you wrote I'm thinking about the XL size now, I will compare on my next visit, I will also be checking the manufacturing dates and have him get the "freshest" one available, thanks again!............Tom.

Back