Riding jacket

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Beekeeper

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a riding jacket, just wondering what you folks wear, what's comfortable. good brands, and what to look out for good or bad, what shall I expect to spend, just want to make a wise decision..............Thanks...............Tom.

I just ordered a jacket from CycleSector.

My Vmax is black and eventually I plan on getting a white racing stripe on it.

REVIT-JACKET-CR-2.jpg

I don't follow brands too closely, but what I look for is one that has added protection in the elbows and lower back, preferably some kind of plate. And one that has a lining that is removable.

I saw a guy at the swapmeet selling black leather jackets for 30 bucks but, he didn`t have one in xxl so I bought a vest for 10 bucks and I`m going back this Sat. or Sun.
<<Dave>>:punk:

I wear a Tourmaster Flex II jacket. It's kinda like 3 jackets in one.
There is a cold weather liner (I've been well into the sub zero temps and have not needed it) A mesh jacket and a nicely-vented outer-shell. Not to mention the sleeve, forearm and waist adjustment make it even more comfortable.

It's armored in the back, shoulders and elbows. I absolutly love the thing, and would not hesitate on buying another.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/10310/ITEM/Tour-Master-Flex-Series-2-Jacket.aspx

This gal wrote a nice write-up on the one she bought.
http://excessivelocity.blogspot.com/2006/08/review-tourmaster-flex-jacket.html

I wear a all leather Joe Rocket Sonic purchased from www.motorcyclegear.com going on 4 years ago now and it has held up well.
I would say that it is not a HOT weather jacket but works good for where I ride typically up to 75 - 80 degrees. The jacket ventilates well in key areas and has CE protection in the shoulders and elbows and a stiff foam in the back. An optional CE rated back protector is available.
I have worn it in 27 degree weather with just a polo shirt on and the liner in the jacket on a 20 mile trip. I was wearing carhart heavy cargo pants and by the time I arrived home my legs where pretty chilled but my body was kept warm by the JR Sonic and hands warm by Alpinestars gortex winter gloves.

I wear a Tourmaster Flex II jacket. It's kinda like 3 jackets in one.
There is a cold weather liner (I've been well into the sub zero temps and have not needed it) A mesh jacket and a nicely-vented outer-shell. Not to mention the sleeve, forearm and waist adjustment make it even more comfortable.

It's armored in the back, shoulders and elbows. I absolutly love the thing, and would not hesitate on buying another.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/10310/ITEM/Tour-Master-Flex-Series-2-Jacket.aspx

This gal wrote a nice write-up on the one she bought.
http://excessivelocity.blogspot.com/2006/08/review-tourmaster-flex-jacket.html

That's a damn good looking jacket...I might be needing a new jacket soon. :punk:

Well I logged-in & wrote a bunch but when I tried to upload, it said I "wasn't logged-in," so I lost it! Not gonna repeat that!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALPI...QQitemZ220492118439QQptZApparelQ5fMerchandise
One like I recently bought, a good deal @ this price. Alpinestars for Aprilia is what I got, it retailed for $275. I got it on a closeout for far-less.

My 'old reliable,' bought at Daytona Bike Week about 15 yrs. ago, one just like it here worn by a famous motojournalist, anyone know who? Taken @ Stetson U. in Deland FL during the Vintage Auction held there. A Motoport by DIFI.

I also have a Joe Rocket Ballistic mesh armored jacket, v. important for FL weather. I have a pair of Alpinestars mesh armored pants too. I just bought a Fieldsheer mesh armored jacket because it has better armor than the Joe Rocket.

The ballistic nylon jackets wear like iron & you can wash them in the machine, just DO NOT put it into the dryer!

My first waterproof jacket & pants was a set by Belstaff I bought 39 years ago. Waxed-cotton, wore well, finally rotted-apart after about 20+ years (jacket), still have the pants. I looked just-like Martin Lampkin or any Vase-Cup member competing in the ISDT! I bought it the year before the ISDT came to the USA.

I'm with RedBone my Joe Rocket Sonic keeps me safe and dry, with the liner out it's still hot here in Florida, "but I really like my skin so I deal with it!". My black one is not reflective enough for me though,one thin strip across the back.

+1 on the Tourmaster. Have the Jett,silver and black(think it's different than KJ'S). Been out in the 30's and haven't been cold,more water resitent than leather. The back pad makes my seat more comfortable too. Think you can get one now for around $105. Money well spent.Cooler than black leather in summer without the liner. Lots of adjustment straps.
Steve-o #4227

I saw a guy at the swapmeet selling black leather jackets for 30 bucks but, he didn`t have one in xxl so I bought a vest for 10 bucks and I`m going back this Sat. or Sun.
<<Dave>>:punk:

Well, like they say about helmets-"If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet."
Not to say you can't get a good jacket for under $600, but you do get what you pay for.

I got this and like it.http://www.riverroadgear.com/Apparel/PremierMatteLeather/ViseandCameoJacket.html

MSRP $249. + tax, found it online for $224, no tax or shipping.
Might get an orange vest for visibility...

Hey I know, that's Dave Despain!

As was mentioned, yes, it's Dave Despain. Taken last month at Stetson Univ. during Bike Week. Lots of interesting bikes at the Vintage & Classic auction held at Stetson.

In winter I wear a leather jacket with liner, but mesh in summer. I saw a comparison in M/C Consumer News a few years ago, about a dozen or so jackets compared. Fieldsheer came out #1 for protection, and #2 in affordability. All the others which were close in protection were much higher priced. I bought a Fieldsheer, and have never regretted it. Great jacket, good price.

I also am a big fan of first gear stuff. My dad bought me a Kilimanjaro jacket one year for christmas. Its great for all weather riding. Been caught in the wet stuff plenty of times and come out nice and dry every time, but its too much for the summer time sooooo, ive decided to "build" my own warm weather jacket. Since i have a tendency to like to do my own thing.

I use a Dickies zip up hoody and a leather vest i bought from legendaryusa.com and i plan to pick up an armored compression style suit that will go underneath all of it when i have enough funds so that should keep the safety aspect of it covered.

Yeah i could have bought a decent leather or textile jacket for the money im spending but Its all mine and no one i know has anything like it, and its my money so suck it:eusa_dance:

it all depends about 1. if you are leaning to whatever brand 2. the temp you ride in 3. the weather you ride in 4. the style. (colors, labels, etc)

joe rocket, icon, alpine stars, etc... the only thing that really matters is armor and comfort. i run an icon arc mesh jacket and pant. its got spine, shoulder, and elbow armor thats removable to wash. its a warm weather set as its mesh. ive been extremely happy with it, and the only thing that i need to have with me is a rainsuit as, well... your getting soaked. but remember, some jackets may be rated #1 but not fit you well. All jackets have to conform to specific rules so that said they should all protect the same. just find a jacket that fits well, then look for options of colours within that line.

when it comes to the dollar amount, is there really a price that you can put on your safety?

be safe, and good luck!

peace,
evan...

Back