rpms at idle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I set both of mine on the high side at 1050. I like the little extra oil pressure it gives these cold blooded monsters.

Last edited:
Mine idles at 600 to 650 and sounds great... If i put it to the manual it just sounds to fast...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

there is a lot of previous threads on this topic....the input i got rammed thru my head is they need to idle between 1000 to 1100 rpms just to keep the charging system active...i am idling in between there...sounds about right...

Not to mention that it needs RPM to maintain oil pressure. My 89 holds about 10 pounds at idle and is high through the rpm range compared to others. I believe It has a modded oil pump. My 94 runs 4 pounds at idle. It would be nothing at 600-650.. That sounds really dangerous running idle that slow...:ummm::ummm::ummm:

Not to mention that it needs RPM to maintain oil pressure. My 89 holds about 10 pounds at idle and is high through the rpm range compared to others. I believe It has a modded oil pump. My 94 runs 4 pounds at idle. It would be nothing at 600-650.. That sounds really dangerous running idle that slow...:ummm::ummm::ummm:
Yep in my book your asking for trouble idling that low. I get a lot of Harleys thru here that people idle down because they like the sound & I tell them all there asking for trouble.

there is a lot of previous threads on this topic....the input i got rammed thru my head is they need to idle between 1000 to 1100 rpms just to keep the charging system active...i am idling in between there...sounds about right...
i I DO IDLE MINE AT ABOUT 1,050-1,100 , THERE IS A 50 RPM DISCREPANCY FROM WHAT MY SHOP MANUAL SAYS AND WHAT MY UNDER AIR BOX STICKER SAY'S ! . :confused2:

i I AGREE 10 FOLD ! .. BETWEEN LOW OIL PRESSURE AND IF YOUR STUCK IN TRAFFIC WITH THE FAN SCREAMING AND THE HEADLIGHT ON , THERES NO WAY THE CHARGING SYSTEM IS PUTTING OUT ENOUGH " JUICE " TO KEEP THE BATTERY CHARGED ! ... THIS IS NOT MY " OPINION " , ITS A " FACT " ! . :biglaugh: . :rofl_200:

1050-1100 here for all the reasons mentioned above. Oil pressure is low already when set to specs. It used to read 0 before the pump upgrade at idle. 6-8 now, hot after a run.
Steve

From what i read Cop Runner dont idle. LOL.

yea i get 1 psi at 1k rpms, can't imagine what i'd get at 600. open vboost you have to go a little higher anyways.

thank you all for the info
mine was running below 900rpms and i believe my charging suffered. now i am at about 1000.
have a nice day hwystar1

Latest posts

Back