SAFELY give your handlebars a small L to R wiggle at highway speed - what happens?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
No, I don't mean to shake yourself into a speed wobble or an accident. But I would like to know what your bike does and if it is stock or modified as far as suspension is concerned.

If I do this, the front end continues wobbling at 2 or 3 times per second for a few seconds until the wobble settles out.

Other characteristics of the suspension on my bike:
- 75mph sweepers consistently cause a wobble. Feels like the tire is trying to dive/oscillate into the turn.
- Merging onto the freeway at 75-95 causes a wobble.
- Passing a car or string of cars on vboost causes a wobble.
- Attempting a top speed straight line blast causes a wobble. This wobble starts out as a slow/wobble/weave that gets worse as speed increases. It starts somewhere around 75-90 and does not stop *unless I firmly and equally push the handlebars forward*

My bike also had the 45mph decel wobble until I replaced the tires. It no longer has the 45mph wobble.

So..... back to the thread title. What does your bike do if you wiggle the bars at speed? It shouldn't continue oscillating. If it does, what is the cause?

Turning one direction would increase spring tension on one fork and decrease tension on another fork, right? If fork tension is not equal, the spring in the fork will eventually push back in the opposite direction. This would continue until both forks have equal spring tension, right? The oil is supposed to reduce the speed of this effect / provide damping, right?

If this is all true, it would seem to be a fork damping problem on my bike, for one. Maybe other problems also, but it is important to change only one thing at a time.

**Does anyone with racetech emulators have any kind of wobbling problem?

**Does anyone with aftermarket forks have any kind of wobbling problem?

To simplify the problem, if you modify the front end/forks/steering head and never have the wobble again, we eliminate swingarm and rear suspension as major factors.

I bought a small truck once that had blown shocks. When you went into a turn at highway speed, the truck wanted to violently roll. If you performed a L to R wiggle of the steering wheel, the truck became unstable.

I've removed and tested old/worn out rear shocks from various bikes I've owned. You know, where the seals wear out and the oil seeps out. When you start depressing the shock up and down, all you feel is spring tension and a lot of bounce.

This is my first theory with my bike. I *do* have some replacement forks from an '88 that have been lowered I believe. As soon as I get some time, I want to just swap the forks and test.

Finally, I would like opinions on what you all think that pushing equally and firmly forward on the bars during a speed wobble does exactly to stop the wobble. Is it loading the rear suspension more? Increasing steering head bearing tension?

If the primary result of this action serves to increase steering head bearing tension/seating, then I may just order factory bearings and go that route before the front end swap.

Re: SAFELY give your handlebars a small L to R wiggle at highway speed - what happens

....maybe the steering head bearings are so worn out that pressing firmly and equally forward on the bars to eliminate the wobble seats the steering head shaft into the bearings enough that the steering head shaft stops moving within the bearings?

On this theory, it *could* be possible that the front forks feel like they are not damping because the shaft has free play left to right within the bearings, and that with the new ME-880 up front, such small freeplay movements cause the tire to bite as if it were turning, which tracks the bike to one side until the shaft contacts the bearing; by then the front forks are trying to dampen out the movement and the shaft moves to the opposite side until it contacts the other side of the bearing...

Not sure if this makes any sense, just hypothesizing.... Makes me curious to know how little free play is too much!

Definitely time to tear into the front end, but hard to sacrifice riding time!

Re: SAFELY give your handlebars a small L to R wiggle at highway speed - what happens

Bump

have your bearings ever been done?

i do have some weird wobbles when i'm gunning it and shifting b/c i'll be pulling on one side of the bars more and alll the weight is off the front end. never as bad as you were saying. i assume u've checked ur swingarm torques along with the bearings there? if both your swingarm and steering head bearings are original for the $$ it can't hurt to just replace!

Mine goes right then left when I wiggle my bars right and left. If I wiggle them left and right the bike goes left and then right.

No wiggles or instability of any kind.

I'd look at the head bearings for sure.

When I first read this thread it didn't sound to me like a good idea to intentionally induce a wobble and I decided not to try it. Well, having said that, I surprised myself this morning by actually doing it...

At 60 mph, with the throttle locked at that speed, I induced the wobble (it felt just like the real thing too) when I let go, the front over corrected very slightly once and returned to a stable straight line.

Tried the same thing on a decel from 60 mph, same exact thing...one slight over correction, then straight & true.

This was on the '06 which has Racetech springs & emulators and ME33 Lasertec tire...don't know if that would affect the results or not.

mine will recorrect itself unless its at 42-48 mph & under engine decel...

mine corrects itself.
2006; stock front end; 4,6xx miles; shinko 120 out front; 170 out back; less than 1K miles on the tires.

Only thing done to the steering or suspension was tighten the steering stem bearings per Sean's Method.

As I mentioned before and you have commented, my only complaint about the max handling is the bouncing/bending/tail wag feeling goin' thru the turns. I have heard a few name the same fixes for the issues. Just haven't forked over the cash or taken the time to do those things.

Thanks for the replies.

I think the term I should have come up when I posted this thread was, "does the steering correct itself back to center?"

Thanks for coming up with that term. The bike *should* correct itself right away, I would assume. I want to see if there is any correlation between the wobbles people have and whether or not the bike steering will quickly correct itself back to true.

No, I don't mean to shake yourself into a speed wobble or an accident. But I would like to know what your bike does and if it is stock or modified as far as suspension is concerned.

Mine is an 04, and it has had a wobble since I bought it at 12k miles. Nothing serious, but it's there if I induce it like you suggested.

I first noticed it doing a steering correction to miss a tire fragment in the road, and again at 120 mph. I never had it happen below 120 or without inducing it. It seems to correct itself at slower speeds, but at higher speed it seems as if slowing down stops it.

I don't know how stock mine is but it has a windshield which I used to attribute some of it to but now I'm suspicious.

Folks here have mentioned bearings as a problem, lowering the suspension, radial tires and dampers to solve this.

Is this a high mileage issue or should I expect to be replacing bearings, tires, adjusting forks, and installing dampers to eliminate or just expect this as a 10,000 mile replacement regimen?

Gary

Latest posts

Back