Self cancelling turn signals

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G, so by pulling and moving two wires we can eliminate the need for resistors and stuff for led signals? This is great!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yes, the only thing I'm unsure about is whether you may still need a diode bridge when swapping the blinkers light in the tacho console for a LED - in this case I think that without it all 4 flashers may blink together instead of L/R.

Most everyone had self canceling signals for many years until the last few years. Don't know if it is a cost-cutting measure or ? No one has ever stated exactly why this has happened. If a high dollar bike like the Gen 2 doesn't have them, it sure shouldn't be because of cost-cutting!!

Most everyone had self canceling signals for many years until the last few years. Don't know if it is a cost-cutting measure or ? No one has ever stated exactly why this has happened. If a high dollar bike like the Gen 2 doesn't have them, it sure shouldn't be because of cost-cutting!!

Doing a little poking around on some different forums and it was mentioned that they were discontinued due to a liability issue....by installing the self cancelling signals Yamaha accepts the liability if they malfunction, may have been a court case involved also.

This makes sense to me....when things don't appear to have a 'common sense' explanation look to the legal/financial side and it usually becomes clear.

Doing a little poking around on some different forums and it was mentioned that they were discontinued due to a liability issue....by installing the self cancelling signals Yamaha accepts the liability if they malfunction, may have been a court case involved also.

This makes sense to me....when things don't appear to have a 'common sense' explanation look to the legal/financial side and it usually becomes clear.

I knew that had to be it...........

my 85 self cancels but my 2010 doesn't wtf.

I have been amused by the fact that my '79 XS1100 has self canceling signals, and my Gen 1 Vmax has self canceling signals, but my '08 FJR1300 does not. I love them, and wish my FJR had them.

You will need to leave the OEM relay in place with all the other wires connected though, or your bike won't start.
This I find surprising - I can see nothing on the wiring diagram that should cause this.

Anyway the service manual states: Generally, the signal will cancel after either 10 seconds, or 150 meters (490 feet), whichever is greater.

I calculate 150 m will be covered in 10 seconds at 33.75 mph.
So riding at half that speed, indicators cancel after 20 seconds since it took that long to do 150 m. (time to cover the distance is greater)
Likewise if riding at twice the speed, indicator cancel after 10 seconds since 150 m was covered in 5 seconds. (10 seconds is greater)

I haven't been able to take the module apart - something is stopping it - but there will be microcontroller programmed to implement the above rules. The distance is derived by counting pulses on the green/white wire that are created by a magnet, turned by the speedo cable inside the speedometer, which causes a reed switch to close to ground.

The timer is triggered by moving the indicator switch fully to the right or left by shorting the red/white wire to ground. The timer does not become active until the bike is moving, taken from the manual "The self cancelling only operates when the motorcycle is moving thus the signal will not self-cancel when stopped".

Now here is where it gets interesting, for me at least. My Vmax is 1998 Japanese import and the indicator flash rate is constant at 3x per second; UK law allows 1 to 2x per second so I may have a problem getting an MOT if the tester is on the ball. For that reason I am looking into making my own replacement and have been gathering data as to how to make my own microcontroller based circuit, that will also be independent of load (it won't address console warning lamp not working after fitting LED lamps)

I highlighted constant above as the indicators flash at the same rate regardless of whether I have 23W lamps (as fitted to after market indicators since removed that came on the bike) or 10W lamps or no lamps; furthermore the console bulb flashes even though the lamps on the opposite side have been removed - which does not tie up with the wiring diagram.

So either the flasher relay is different to earlier models or there has been some rewiring carried out - I did find some additional connectors at the back but not dug enough at the front to rule out any mods.

I have two questions.
1. if you have changed the bulb wattage (non LED), did the flash rate change?
2. if you remove both bulbs on the opposite side, does the console lamp stop flashing? i.e. remove bulb on left and turn on right indicator.

Back