Shift light wiring

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwarf717

Reaction score
New '85 Max owner here, and I'm trying to wire up a brand new Proform adj. shift light. It has 3 wires. Red to +, Black to -, and a green which goes to the tach output. It's for 8, 6, or 4 cyl engines, and I have clipped 2 loops for 4 cyl installations as per the instructions. I'm trying to wire the green straight to one of the 3 wires on the rear of the tach, but cannot get the light to illuminate on any one of the 3. Any help would be much appreciated.

think its the grey wire behind the tach for the signal the rest is for ground and power, just piggy back off the tach wires and you should be set

Doesn't the Vmax tach run off only one cylinder - but that also has a dead spark so the tach receives twice the ignition pulses at normal rpm
So you have to wire the shift light as a 2-cylinder configuration (or a 4-cylinder but divide your rpm setting by 2)

That's what I did with my Harlan shiftlight (not Raptor as I thought but the same config)
http://www.raptorperformance.com/Installations/Yamaha/yamaha_vmax.htm

shift lights need 2 cylinder mode for wasted spark

There is no 2 cyl mode on this light. 4cyl is as low as it goes. I think I wasted my money...

There is no 2 cyl mode on this light. 4cyl is as low as it goes. I think I wasted my money...

Set it on 4cyl mode and when setting your rpm, divide it by 2

8,000rpm shift light = 4,000rpm setting in 4cyl mode
9,000rpm shift light = 4,500rpm setting in 4cyl mode
etc...

So I hooked it all up, turned the ign on, and the light came on for a couple of seconds as it should. I started the bike, and the light came on/flickered as the dial was turned to the lower side of the rpm scale. I turned the dial, and the light went off.....and stayed off. Hasn't come on for any reason since. Checked all the connections with a test light, and they were good. Light is going back to the speed shop I bought it from

They're getting me a new light. When I hook this one up, should I be running a fuse in the power lead from the tach to the shift light? If so, what amp fuse should I run? I wouldn't think I should need a fuse, as the amperage to the tach would already be low enough

i wouldnt' bother, that line has a fuse on it on the main fuses.

I have wired up the raptor shift light directly to the 3 wring running to the tach and have no problems without any sort of fuse. The circuit itself is all ready fused. Now if you were running a direct wire to the battery for instance then you would want an inline fuse but if your just splicing into the excisting wire you should be fine without. Of course I could be wrong but I have been fine without from over a year now.

I figured I didnt need one. just trying to cover my ass in case it happens again

Well, I got a new Proform light, hooked it up to the tach leads, and it did the exact same thing!!! Lit up when the key was turned on, flickered when the bike started, then went out never to work again.....what the heck is going on???

so if you rev it to red line you dont get any light? or what ever you set it at

I get no light anywhere, anytime. Not even when you first turn the key on.

Back