Shimming needles

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothemax93

Reaction score
I've been researching how to do this. From what I'm reading its not all that hard, but I tend to do best with pictures. I can't find any. Is there any on here I'm missing.

shimkit.jpg

This shows it pretty well.

Thanks G and Danny. That helps a lot. I'm getting a marks 4-1. Is there a recommended Thickness on the shim for that exhaust. I'm all stock right now.

Too many variables such as altitude, airbox exhaust etc to tell a fella best shim I think. Shimming is super fine tuning and eeks out improvements in throttle transitions and rideability more so than power. I would surmise many would not tell a big difference but there is nothing like a Max that revs without coughs, hiccups and flatspots. Take notes while you test and tune.

Just checked my elevation. my town is 869 ft. Stock air box. I understand about variables. I was just looking for a proven starting point

+1 to what Dan-o said.... I would guess between 28 and 38. Make sure the needles don't bind when assembled if you go to 38 thousandths...

+1 to what Dan-o said.... I would guess between 28 and 38. Make sure the needles don't bind when assembled if you go to 38 thousandths...

There's really no right and wrong when it comes to this - some bikes benefit from it some don't. Best way to find out is put your new pipes on and take the bike to a dyno to find out what your a/f ratio looks like throughout the rev range. Then you can tune accordingly, whether it's smaller main jets, shims, shimming the Y on the airbox or whatever works.

.032 shims, I use #4 stainless washers and hone them down on a stone to the size I want. The midrange could be a slight bit richer. Maybe thicker shims next. Mark's 4-2,150 mains, springs tied back 3 coils. Y shimmed 3/8, a/f 2 3/4-3 turns out. I'm at sea level. K&N filter used.It runs well througth the whole rpm range. Poor mans carb kit.(not very original)
I'll be doing a Morley kit install on a friends Vmax soon. He has the same exhaust. I can't wait. If Mark smokes me I'll have to do the same to mine. Can't allow that to happen.
Steve-o:biglaugh:

Back