Shinko Touring tires good?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98jpvmax

Reaction score
Guy is selling a set of Shinko touring from what i read this morning they sound like a pretty good tire for the MAX is this right, seriously thinking of buying them any advice would be great thanks:punk:

Buy new, or at least never dismounted. Do yourself a favor. They can be had cheap enough. They are nice grippy tires, but can be stretched too much taking them off, by hand espessially. Also, check the run -out before you go for a ride. I've had to send one back that was out of shape, a new one. I'm using dyna beads in mine and loving them. Extra 1/2 oz in each. Best tire for your max-Not. Best for the money-yep.Look them over carefully for cracks. I ditch them after a season and 1/2.
Steve-o

I was running the Shinko 170/80V on the rear this season. It was OK .
Pros are that it's a sticky tire, grips the road surface very well. Cons - very tough to get this 170 size tire to break loose for burnouts. Maybe that's why it's lasting so long !! :ummm:
Remember someone saying that the Shinko 150 is much easier to break loose for burnouts. Wish I'd put the 150 size on instead of the 170. Once the Shinko needs replacing (probably in the spring) going to try new Bridgestones or Metzlers in both the front & rear.

I've used the Shinkos b4 and loved them. A bit soft so will wear out faster than a Metzeler, but nice and grippy, in the wet too!
I just bought myself another Max, and the first things going on it are a new pair of Shinkos Tourmasters, in original sizes as I have to get it through compliance in Oz..

For more money everyone swears by the Metzelers M880, I've yet to try them. Whatever you do steer clear of Dunlops, they're about as grippy as a piece of soap.

I did try shinko
front/rear all together

For myself, this was realy bad experience.
The tires wen out verry fast and became dangerously bad-handling

I ran a set of the Tourmaster 230's front & rear. They handle well and are very grippy, but only lasted about 6k miles. I get almost twice that from Metzeler ME880's. When you factor in mounting/balancing costs, the more expensive Metz are actually less expensive over the long haul, and I like the handling as well.

I have found Shinkos to be inconsistent in their handling through the twisties. Straight line drag racing , very sticky . Braking hard , tended to wander . Short life span . Since changing to radial 17s , Michelin Pilot Power and 2CTs are it for me.

Shinko's are almost half the price of a Metz, but they also wear twice as fast, and quality seems to be a little iffy. Lots of people have reported they're tough to balance and wear unevenly.

I run the ME880's and love them, won't run anything else. Best handling, best wearing, highest quality tire out there. They're not the cheapest, but like Dan said you get what you pay for.

Shinko's are almost half the price of a Metz, but they also wear twice as fast, and quality seems to be a little iffy. Lots of people have reported they're tough to balance and wear unevenly.

I run the ME880's and love them, won't run anything else. Best handling, best wearing, highest quality tire out there. They're not the cheapest, but like Dan said you get what you pay for.

+1

I've ran metz on all my bikes with the excepton of my chopper. My tires still look great, and handle better. A friend of mine, is already really needing new shoes on his Max after replacing them with Shinkos mid season, last year.

I think he has about 3500 miles on them.

Latest posts

Back