Should I buy?? 1986 Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fast_jason

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am looking at a 1986 Yamaha Vmax. The guy says it is bound up or stuck in 3rd gear. The guy is asking $1,500 for the bike. Should I buy it? What is worst case and best case scenario from a cost standpoint on fixing this issue?

This will be the second Vmax I have owned. I sold the first one after it had second gear issues and not knowing what an awesome machine I had at the time.

Thanks in advance!

:punk: Hey, probably 3-4 K can make it run correctly. Good Luck, Spur

Really?!! I was thinking more around the $1k mark. The engine starts and runs fine. The transmission seems to be all that is wrong with it. Anyone else have an opinion?

It depends on what is causing the "bound up" 3rd gear. Shift segment? (verywell could be, and an easy fix) or will you have to split the cases?

If anything cash flash $1k for the bike, you can part it out for at least that.

there's an '85 vmax out here that runs, just has 2nd gear issue for $1k if that helps.

I would offer 1K cash & walk away if he doesn't take it. You can always come back later if you really want it. Is it stock or modded ? Pic would help. :clapping:

Could be a cheap $50 fix (updated shift segment - do a search on here for threads about it) or it could be a complete trans rebuild ($1000 and up depending on what you have done - maybe less if you only fix the actual parts and not do any other upgrading to the trans while you are in there).

I can send you some sample trans build sheets if you are interested. Just send me an email with that request and i'll get back to you.

Sean Morley
[email protected]

Back