Should I consider selling on Ebay

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auggie_1970

Reaction score
Hey guys, I listed my old bike (Suzuki Bandit) on craigslist and I'm getting alot of inquiries and people setting up times to see it but no one follows through..Very frustrating. Anyone ever sell a bike on ebay and if so what are some things I should be aware of as a seller...Or is selling a bike on ebay not a good idea?

Thanks

I've sold on eBay but the market was MUCH better than it is today. It's NOT a good M/C market IMO. On eBay you need to be DEAD honest. Most can't see the bike in person so you have to show EVERYTHING that's wrong with it.

Chris

Craigslist is the only way to go IMO. If someone is looking for a specific vehicle it will sell if priced right. Not bikes, but in the last 8 months I've sold my wifes Honda Element. Bought a Jetta VR6 for her. Bought a Tundra SR5 4x4 Sold my T100 4x4. Sold my 16 year old daughters insurance totaled Civic. Etc. All the sold vehicles were gone from the driveway within 3 days from listed. Give it a try. Its free. Good luck!

Craigslist worked for me to sell a personal vehicle and some vehicles and big equipment trailers for work. Some go fast, some go slow. Scammers suck! Too much BS email. But, if you hang in there for a bit and your pricing is not out of line, you will find a buyer.

I bought my Vmax offa craigslist. By the time I got to him you could tell he had enoguh of people not showing up. I think its one of the things you have to deal with on craigslist.

Yeah craigslist can be really frustrating sometimes but I've bought and sold a lot from there and it does have its advantages. I'd just stick to it and eventually someone whos really interested will follow through.

Bought my 90' off of Ebay as the "Second Chance" offer as the original winner never paid up. I may have lucked out as the owner was a Mod Monkey junkie and knew his bike. He also had pages and pages of documentation for everything. I think he had a reciept for the air in the tires, it was that thorough. I also got three helmets, rotor lock, alarm, spare parts like filters, pumpkin, Iridium plugs, luggage, etc. Guy was dead honest and great to deal with. When a guy asks for first dibs to buy it back, I would take that as a "good" sign.
Ebay might make you have to deal with shipping. C/L is probably a local deal. Plus you might have to deal with the "people" issue wanting to talk you down, test ride bike, and so on. I am on Ebay way too much and I see good bikes going for decent prices. The truly custom, exceptional bikes take the biggest loss. I can't tell you how many chain drive big inch custom Maxes I would have bought if I had the $. I say try to sell it on Ebay first for a try or two. You can list it on C/L at the same time or after, your call. Don't be overly anxious to drop your asking price but you must decide what a fair starting price should be so you don't scare buyers away. OR just keep it which is what I vote for! :punk:

my buddy just bought a bandit offa craigslist. Im pretty sure he payed 2700. And it was stock. I think thats a good price. id buy it for that. And I want a Bandit. hmmmmm lol

Guys, here's my add for the bike..Does my price seem out of touch with reality or not to bad, my bottom line is between 2,200/2,300. Wish I had a 3 car garage to keep it.

Well Done:clapping: Nice Bandit for the $........ Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya, I think that's a fair price.

Ebay is definitely a buyer's market except in very rare cases. The only time a seller can really make out good is for a highly sought after, rare item that has a large audience(collectibles, items from recently out of business companies) That way there will be a lot of interest, a lot of bidding, and a high sale price. For "ordinary" items, people are looking for bargains---forget about trying for book value on any sort of used vehicle. I listed my Magna on ebay last fall for only a grand, it STILL didn't get a single bid- it books at $1300. I gave up, and I'm 95% sure I've got it sold now through a craigslist ad for $1250.

I love buying stuff on ebay...great prices, virtually infinite selection of stuff, and 99.9% of users are legit. I bought both my Magna and my Vmax through ebay. I paid $1600 for the Magna, put maybe $200 into the bike in 2.5 years, and am now selling it for $1250. Not a bad deal there.

I've found a good tip for craigslist is to "hide" your email address, and put your phone number in the ad....make sure to say something like "no emails, phone responses only". One of my friends recommended that, and I was at first skeptical that I'd start getting telemarketers and "phone spam", but I've yet to get a single unwanted call. Plus, 99% of calls I get are serious buyers, not people emailing me with stupid questions and low-ball offers. Something about having to pick up the phone and actually talk with the seller seems to weed out a lot of the "tire kickers" and bullshitters.

Let the bike run on c-list. Re-post it like once a week so it stays on the front page. If you don't get anything, you can try ebay, but it seems more often than not it doesn't sell at a price you want, and won't until you drop to a rock-bottom steal of a price.

I've sat on both sides of the ebay fence quite a bit(summer job was listing obsolete outboard parts in an ebay store), and auctions for vehicles are tricky. Say you want to get $2500 for your bike, but will take no less than $2200. You list the bike for $2200 starting bid, no reserve, hoping it will bid up past your "need" and any bids will be gravy. Runs a week, no bids. Now you have a decision: Drop the price to below your "need" price and hope you'll get at least two interested buyers to bid it up, no reserve. Or set the price at say, $1 and put a reserve at $2200.

From a buyer's perspective(at least for me when I was looking for my Magna and later Max), reserves turned me off. It's like going to a car dealer and them refusing to tell you the price until you commit to buying it. Who would do that? On the other hand, a trick some sellers use is to list their item for a rock-bottom starting bid, virtually guaranteeing someone will bid. Then they watch the price, and if it doesn't get to an acceptable level, they yank the auction with minutes to go(happened once to an item I was bidding on).

IMO ebay gives chess a run for it's money as far as strategy. There's a million techniques used by buyers to get the lowest price and sellers to get the highest. However, due to the massive availability of most items and fees associated with ebay, "common" items don't tend to sell too well unless they're at bargain prices. Nobody is going to drive hours away to buy a bike that's available on a local craigslist unless it's a fabulous bargain. Plus, most vehicle sales are done without the buyer ever seeing the item, so they're more skeptical and expecting there to be a few hidden gremlins.

How do you guys go about buying something on ebay. Do you go to test the bike out or buy it sight unseen and have it shipped?

:bang head: Hey, good idea. Buy it on Ebay and have it shipped. I did that with the last 85 I bought. Now it runs and looks almost as good as it was advertised on ebay and it only cost me 10K to fix. Can't find that guy in Florid that sold it to me but I will some day. Sweet deals to be had on Ebay. Ask lots of questions and don't buy from Florida, their chrome and aluminum are very pitted. Good luck, Spur

Thems fightin words Spur! Don't disparage the Florida bikes cause you ran into a lying cheat, good for nothing low down cock roach eating slime ball. All fifty states have those. It is all in how you treat your bike. By the way, you didn't really spend 10 k on fixing an 85 did you? That makes me question your mental status. I assumed you were normal?:eusa_dance:

I'm in Florida. I bought my Max in Florida off Craigslist. It was a 2-hour ride away, so I went to see it, and PO let me ride it. Bought my previous bike (Kawi EN450) off Craigslist locally in Tampa too, so again I called, went to see it, rode it, and bought it on the spot.

I bought a few bikes off eBay in the UK when I lived there. My rule is: find one that is local enough for you to be able to go see it and hopefully test ride it. The only bike I would ever buy off fleaBay remotely and have it shipped would be a new or near-new one from a stealers with full warranty.

I've sold bikes on eBay too. Both in the UK and the US of A. Just be really honest, take a lot of detailed pictures, upload them to Photobucket or similar then insert them in the eBay description - it's free that way! :biglaugh: Then either start your auction at $100 and put in a reserve for the lowest amount you'll sell it for, or set the starting price at that amount but have no reserve (less fleaBay fees). These days fleaBay charges a LOT on vehicle sales, so Craigslist's usually much better (for you) but has a more limited audience.

Another thing to consider is to advertise through Craiglist in adjacent cities and states, a lot of people don't mind a 2 to 6 hours drive to get the bike they really want. :punk:

Thanks guys for all the advice..Gotta a few more low ball offers this evening. Definitely an experience...Kind of torn about selling her , this was the bike I learned to ride on . Bought the bike in July of 05 with 4,000 odd miles. I didn't have my motorcycle license when I bought her and can remember sneaking out in the neighborhood at midnight just to get a little ride in. Taught myself how to ride around the neighborhood then signed up for one of those weekend motorcycle safety classes they offer over here. Rode my first season through the winter. I didn’t care how cold it was, I was having a blast riding. I didn’t care that I looked like the kid from the Christmas story all bundled up, I was riding. Always had a thing for the Vmax since I can recall and bought one late in the summer last year so I would ride the Max primarily. If I didn’t have such limited garage space I would keep her. One thing for sure is how each bike has its own unique characteristics. I’m waiting for the rest of my parts for the Max to come back so in the meantime I’ve been riding the Bandit the past two weekends. I love my Vmax but I was surprised just how nice the Bandit handles and brakes, and how light it is compared to the Max. As far as acceleration, comfort, and wow factor there’s no comparison, the Max wins.

Can't wait to get the mods wrapped up and have her back on the road....Thanks again for all the advice, we’ll see how this craigslist thing shakes out

Last edited by a moderator:
Back