So what torque should the rear axle be set at

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly

Reaction score
Some say 55ft.lb then change to 35ft.lb while the manual says 110ft.lb
what is the final word on that???????? it shouldn't be that hard to find the correct torque,does any one have access to an FJR manual or a venture manual? they are all the same design.:confused2:
It has been circulated that the vmax service manual ( 110ft.lb ) is wrong
So what is the correct torque for the rear axle nut?:damn angry:
Can we get the final word on this.
Thanks
________
marijuana bubbler

Last edited:
I set mine to 35 ft/lbs. No issues. That along with BJ gear oil and the final drive runs very cool.

maleko89 said:
I set mine to 35 ft/lbs. No issues. That along with BJ gear oil and the final drive runs very cool.

How did you come up with this number, it is like saying don't make it too tight:) I don't like that guess work, how about 30ft.lb or 40?
what does similar bikes have in the service manual?
Thanks
________
XJS

Last edited:
Went by what Oldman said. I know it works so I'll stick with it.

maleko89 said:
Went by what Oldman said. I know it works so I'll stick with it.
Yes me too but just to verify or question authority:a014:
I trust old man's knowledge and straight forward answers but sometimes I don't understand what he means since he uses few words:bicycle:
________
GSX-R600

Last edited:
I know the manual is wrong as 110 is way too tight. I don't know where the 35 number came from but you could probably do a experiment with different torque settings to see when it gets too hot.

I'll go and get this information from the dealer, I'll ask about the torque of the rear axle on an FJR and venture and see , if they are the same then this would be the correct torque for the max too, the rear pumpkin is the same design on all. that should put an end to all the guess work.:nud:
________
Ford Panther platform

Last edited:
Has any one found out what the torque for that nut should be? I'm getting ready to install a license plate bracket and want to make sure I don't get the torque too tight.

markmax said:
Has any one found out what the torque for that nut should be? I'm getting ready to install a license plate bracket and want to make sure I don't get the torque too tight.
In this instance, personally I don't think it really matters much. Many run what the manual calls for, some torque theirs in the 50ft/lb rande and others run with only 35ft/lbs. Personally mine is set at only 25ft/lbs with no problems encountered. If and when I lose my back wheel, I'll report in (hopefully) that it should be more. Har d har

OK guys I asked the dealer,the guy that prepares bikes for delivery.
" this is part of Yamaha factory PDI ( pre-delivery inspection )
Rear Axel torque for FJR, Vmax, Venture is 110 ft-Lb."
" I feel it is a little too much but this is what Yamaha wants! 95 ft-lb is OK."
So this is the end of that.:nud:
what a damaging myth that was, people even said that this was a misprint in the service manual, NO IT IS NOT A MISPRINT this is what the manufacturer specification is!!!
I am glad I asked, but for those who want to torque 55, 35 or 25 well it is your bike do what you find fit.
I'll torque mine to 95 ft-lb!.
Ibrahim
________
SY77

Last edited:
Everybody has an opinion here, so I'll chip in my thoughts. I have a 05 max that I changed to 18" wheels & radials. In the process of doing this change,
I had the rear wheel off the bike for the first time.
When I re-installed the wheel, I tighten to the 110 ft./lbs yamaha recommends. The wheel had very
noticiable static drag with the bike on the centerstand
hand turning the wheel in nuetral. I test rode the
bike and the diff was hotter than a pistol when I
got back to the house. I called Don Smith and he
informed me about the 35 ft./lb number. I re-torqued
the axle nut to 35 ft./lbs. , Problem solved. I will
stick with 35 ft./lbs. .
My other bike is a 2005 FJR 1300, It is also set at
35 ft./lbs. . Yamaha can do what they please. This
torque setting works for me.

Well I torqued mine to 95ft/lb last night after installing my side mount plate. Guess I'll see how hot it gets. I figure better too tight to start with and work my way down if need be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have it set at 35ft-lb as per Don but the difference between what the manual wants 110 and the 35 is so big, I would first tighten it to 110 ,rotate the wheel and if it is hard to turn reduce it until it turns freely and that will be the ideal torque for the rear whatever that number will be.
Too tight is not good and so is too loose.
________
marijuana dispensary

Last edited:
Today I got ready to re torque the rear wheel nut so I checked first and found out that the nut got loose from 35ft-lb to ~ 25ft-lb:damn angry: what a damaging myth that was so I torqued the nut to 95 ft-lb sure the wheel feels tight but not binding, rode the bike the whole day and touched the differential several times to see if it is getting hot,well it was just at normal warm temperature.
This is not to pee in anyone's soup, a myth is a myth even if it is from someone most of us trust which is actually is worse.
________
Ford Explorer

Last edited:
If this was really a critical torque setting, I would suggest using a torque wrench. If you have a 12" adjustable, give it one good yank and you're done.

dreamster The rear axle nut is a 27mm. I set mine at 60 ftlbs.

Who ever put the last tire on my used V-Max must have gone by the manual. It took a 5 foot cheater on my breaker bar to break that damn nut loose. So I'll go at least 95 ft/lbs on my torque wrench when I put it back together.

Who ever put the last tire on my used V-Max must have gone by the manual. It took a 5 foot cheater on my breaker bar to break that damn nut loose. So I'll go at least 95 ft/lbs on my torque wrench when I put it back together.

I'm almost certain my manual specifies 85ft lbs...

That's what I set mine at last time anyway...:confused2:

I think some of the old vmoa guys were suggesting 35 ft/lbs.Supposedly it was a typo in the manual.

Back