Spark plug wire selection help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heretic

Reaction score
I have decided to get some wire from Kingsborne, but do not know which type to purchase. They offer Mag-wire and Copper Core styles. Below are the desriptions. The boots that I will be using have 5k resistance built in so using the copper core shouldn't be a prob, but I didn't know if the Mag-Wire would be better. Same price for both. Thanks!

Kingsborne 7mm Mag-Wire Wound WireKingsborne 7mm Mag-Wire Wound Wire Silicone outer jacket.

Mag-Wire Wound Wire
For use on all cars and trucks equipped with high energy ignition systems
Premium, top of the line ignition wire, Mag-Wire is manufactured with a stainless
nickel alloy wire, wound 32 times per inch around a conductive laxtex coated
heavy fiberglass core. This conductor meets Original Equipment R.F.I.
(Radio Frequency Interference) requirements while operating at one
tenth the resistance of conventional "Carbon Core" conductor.
Wire resistance 500 ohms per foot.

Kingsborne 7mm Copper Core WireKingsborne 7mm Copper Core Wire Silicone outer jacket.

Tinned Copper Core Wire
Natural Silicone insulation for maximum heat resistance
Latest technology polyester reinforced tape to increase overall
For replacement on Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche and Volkswagen
In addition, stationary engines, competition vehicles and other off-highway
applications and those vehicles originally equipped with Copper Core Spark Plug Wires.

I would stay away from the solid copper core due to RF interfierence with the black box
Racecars run soild copper core due to Multi Spark Discharge ignitions your only looking for problems with solid core
Taylor makes 7mm or Dyno

I have decided to get some wire from Kingsborne, but do not know which type to purchase. They offer Mag-wire and Copper Core styles. Below are the desriptions. The boots that I will be using have 5k resistance built in so using the copper core shouldn't be a prob, but I didn't know if the Mag-Wire would be better. Same price for both. Thanks!

Kingsborne 7mm Mag-Wire Wound WireKingsborne 7mm Mag-Wire Wound Wire Silicone outer jacket.

Mag-Wire Wound Wire
For use on all cars and trucks equipped with high energy ignition systems
Premium, top of the line ignition wire, Mag-Wire is manufactured with a stainless
nickel alloy wire, wound 32 times per inch around a conductive laxtex coated
heavy fiberglass core. This conductor meets Original Equipment R.F.I.
(Radio Frequency Interference) requirements while operating at one
tenth the resistance of conventional "Carbon Core" conductor.
Wire resistance 500 ohms per foot.

Kingsborne 7mm Copper Core WireKingsborne 7mm Copper Core Wire Silicone outer jacket.

Tinned Copper Core Wire
Natural Silicone insulation for maximum heat resistance
Latest technology polyester reinforced tape to increase overall
For replacement on Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche and Volkswagen
In addition, stationary engines, competition vehicles and other off-highway
applications and those vehicles originally equipped with Copper Core Spark Plug Wires.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about what leads are suitable for the V-max and what will or won't cause RFI problems with the igniter unit etc.

Most of the opinion / advice is based on unverified hearsay and not fact.

Standard V-max spec NGK leads plugs and caps are pretty good so long as they are maintained according to the manual.

Maleko89 has stated a number of times in the forum that he has used multi-stranded copper core leads with good results (and how to maintain them).

So long as you use the correct resistance values in the plug caps and resistor type plugs either of your choice of leads will be fine. You won't be able to tell the difference and RFI will not affect your electronic ignition. (a bad earth is more likely to do that but that's another story).

Most RFI comes from defective leads and lead connections creating an air gap across which, the electrical charge can arc. These electical arcs ionize the gas (air) between them and it is the ionized gas that emits the radio frequencies. If unshielded this lead will be noisy. Shielded lead blocks the RF transmission.

The U.S military has an early warning system that detects the launch of ICBM's by 'listening' for the radio frequency of ionized gas emitted by the ionized exhaust plume of the launch vehicle.

You need to be aware that motorcycles and motor vehicles have taken different approaches to plug lead resistence issues. even with motorcycles the technical approach taken by Asian manufacturers and European manufacturers can differ.

Here is an article written by Mike Nixon titled ' Resistor Plugs, Wires, and Related Issues' that gives you all the good info on the subject in an easy to understand format. http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/plugwiretech.html

Last edited:
Based on what I've experienced with this is that you need SOME resistance for RFI suppression but it doesn't matter where...

I've run the regualr NGK plugs, non-suppression boots and solid core wire and most definitely experienced problems, I thought my TCI was going south.

It started Immediately when I installed this set-up and quit immediately when I removed the solid core wire and installed Suppresion wire.......

I've run Solid wire with the stock Resistance boots and had no problems.

I've run, (and am still running) suppresion wire with non-resistor boots and had no problems either...

But when I ran non-suppresion wire and non-resistor boots I DID have problems that would quit when I went to the regular boots or suppresion wire, not mattering which.....

In reality I think the stock set-up is just fine...If it's in good shape and not jumping to ground somewhere I wouldn't even mess with it and spend the money somewqhere else unless you just want cool looking boots and wire..which was mostly what i id when i was messing with mine...I don't think there's really any perfomrance gain to be had ......

If you ever dis-assemble the factory boots you can actually remove and hold in you hand the little resistor that's in the boot...It's a little bigger than a pencil lead and about 1/4" long...interesting..at least to me....

I am going to try the nology wires with nology plugs this time . I posted a pic of what the wire looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_1134 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1134 (Medium).jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1141 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1141 (Medium).jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 34
Has anyone tried the NGK 8mm plug wires that they are selling on ebay? Any thoughts on them?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...006QQitemZ160273458351QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

You'll need to trim down the 8mm wires to fit inside your coils if running stock ones.

You could just buy the NGK 5 ohm resistance boots from a local dealer for around $3.50 per boot, and buy the wire per foot at your local parts store. I'm sure that is what this ebay seller is doing. NGK SBO5F and SBO5E plug boots will both work fine.

Neil

You'll need to trim down the 8mm wires to fit inside your coils if running stock ones.

You could just buy the NGK 5 ohm resistance boots from a local dealer for around $3.50 per boot, and buy the wire per foot at your local parts store. I'm sure that is what this ebay seller is doing. NGK SBO5F and SBO5E plug boots will both work fine.

Neil

Neil
Thank you for the tip, it saved me some $$, for ~$24 (with shipping, $17 without) I bought the supplies from Dennis Kirk (they were not available locally). I used 7mm wire so I would not have to trim it. Of course when I made an order I also bought some other things so the shipping charges were actually spread out a little.
Thanks again,
Brad

Latest posts

Back