Starter clutch maybe?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasVMax

Reaction score
Mornin all. My 05 has started making strange sounds when I try to start it. I found a video on YouTube of a bike with the same sound.
Is this the starter clutch that is causing this?
The starter clutches that I see on Ebay from Ideal engine parts, are these quality items?
What is the best tool to use to pull the flywheel?
Thanks in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDUKb7JbzZE

Sean Morley (see his forum banner ad) has a loaner puller. Some people report it being a royal pain to accomplish, others have more luck. Be aware the flywheel may come off w/enough force to shoot across the room! Probably an air tool to crank on the puller nut may do it.

Yes, the 'barrel of rocks' harsh metallic clanking sound is an indicator of the starter clutch needing replacement or fasteners tightened if you're lucky. Once it starts making the sound, repair it before it screws something else up in your engine.

Mine sounded the same, all that was required was a replacement of the rollers in the starter clutch.

I have hear that sound before....lol
At least it's not as hard to fix as I thought it would be. Don't buy OEM allen screws ( M8-1.24x14) you will need 3 of them. Go to Fastenal or Lowes and buy them you will save a bunch of money...

Is that a typo? You might be sending this poor fellow on a snipe hunt.

I have hear that sound before....lol
At least it's not as hard to fix as I thought it would be. Don't buy OEM allen screws ( M8-1.24x14) you will need 3 of them. Go to Fastenal or Lowes and buy them you will save a bunch of money...

Yes, you're right, I would bet on it. I never heard of a "1.24" metric thread.

An explanation: http://www.fastenermart.com/html/metricsizes.html

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Understanding Metric Sizes & Threads[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The size of a metric fastener (screw, bolt, etc.) is specified as diameter, pitch and length, all in millimeters (millimeters is abbreviated "mm"). An exception involves coarse threaded fasteners, in which case only the diameter and length may be listed (coarse threads is then assumed). Consider this size:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]M8-1.0 x 20[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Here's what the description means...[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]M = Metric thread designation[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]8 = Nominal diameter, in millimeters[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1.0 = Pitch (distance from thread to thread), in millimeters[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]20 = Length, in millimeters [/FONT]
Maybe M8 x 1.25

That's why I said, asking for a M8 x 1.24 was gonna be a snipe hunt, a futile exercise where you would look like an uninformed consumer.

Here's a link to the correct Bolts from Fastenal:
M8-1.25 x 14mm DIN 912 Hex Drive Class 12.9 Black Oxide Finish Alloy Steel Socket Cap Screw
https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/1139649?r=%7E

And I used the HD 6 roller Ideal Starter Clutch and it seems to be well made and works well as long as you use the correct bolts.
I used the bolts they supplied with mine and they were a tad short and ended up backing out on me, so get the bolts I linked to from fastenal and it should work well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-...-07-/231595596595?hash=item35ec2c5b33&vxp=mtr

Read my post here for the exact puller I used which I borrowed from AutoZone for free and the correct bolts needed for using the puller.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=405926&postcount=61

Last edited:
Be aware the flywheel may come off w/enough force to shoot across the room!

The problem is due to the puller to flywheel bolts and/ or the puller spider stretching. The force applied to the centre bolt is shared between the puller system and flywheel. In other words the flywheel system becomes a big spring. When the flywheel eventually comes off its taper the energy in the puller system is released thus launching the flywheel towards the nearest part of human anatomy.

Start with a reasonably sturdy spider and replace the puller to flywheel bolts with posts connected (ideally but not essential) by short high tensile studs. This eliminates virtually all of the stretch in the puller system so that the force applied to the centre bolt is transferred directly to the flywheel.
All that is usually required is a sharp tap with a heavy hammer to the flywheel to come off with hardly a murmur.

Have a look at this

I suggest you whack the center bolt hard after every turn. Nothing beats a lead hammer if you can find one, brass will get it done too. Otherwise you'll bugger up the center bolt. I've used heat on stubborn flywheels too. The harmonic balance puller works well. PCW sells a very sturdy one designed for the job.

It's all about the bolts. You need grade 12.12 if you can find them in your area (the metric equal to the grade 8).

Yes, you're right, I would bet on it. I never heard of a "1.24" metric thread.

An explanation: http://www.fastenermart.com/html/metricsizes.html

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Understanding Metric Sizes & Threads[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The size of a metric fastener (screw, bolt, etc.) is specified as diameter, pitch and length, all in millimeters (millimeters is abbreviated "mm"). An exception involves coarse threaded fasteners, in which case only the diameter and length may be listed (coarse threads is then assumed). Consider this size:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]M8-1.0 x 20[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Here's what the description means...[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]M = Metric thread designation[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]8 = Nominal diameter, in millimeters[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1.0 = Pitch (distance from thread to thread), in millimeters[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]20 = Length, in millimeters [/FONT]

That's why I said, asking for a M8 x 1.24 was gonna be a snipe hunt, a futile exercise where you would look like an uninformed consumer.

Your right I didn't even notice that... Fat fingering and doing shit in a hurry... My bad...

Mine has just started the occasional whir->start. I really don't feel like doing another starter clutch, but it's probably gonna have to be a thing this winter. I don't have box of rocks at all.

Back