starter clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90maxman

Reaction score
hey guys new max owner here. long story short bought a max with 13000 miles battery was weak brought it home charged battery no problems for a few days. started it on third day no problem went to start about 2-3 hours later rolled over fine i thought but would'nt fire which quickly ran battery down. thought well battery is toast so i jumped it off another battery bam fired right up. thought ok battery is not putting out proper voltage once you put a load on it not enough to fire coils. ok ordered a agm battery put in new battery hit starter button nothing but a box of rocks. so i pulled starter clutch out and this is what i found asembly is cracked clean through where spring goes. i hope it starts once new starter clutch is in and it was just the battery not putting out enough voltage under load and not another problem. i must say this is the shittiest design i have ever seen to where if a battery is weak it will waste the starter clutch. any way i would like to know if it would be safe to use brake cleaner to clean up the cover because of the pick up coil and stator? dont want to damage either of those.

Attachments

• Photo0422.jpg
    Photo0422.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Photo0423.jpg
    Photo0423.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 40
Well, first welcome here! Good to have ya with us.

Sure sux how destroyed your starter clutch is - I hope mine's fine as I've been suffering from weak battery too..

thanks for the welcome. if you have a weak battery i would replace asap lol. i still say what a design these starter clutches are. almost makes me want to get rid of the bike but i have'nt even had a chance to drive it yet lol.

Welcome to the world of Yamaha starters. They would win an award for the shittiest starting setups, don't even mention an XV750 (virago) and some of their successors.

Check all the starter gears in the gear train for any broken/cracked teeth
Loctite and tighten the 3 starter bolts TIGHT into the clutch.

all gears are good no broken teeth. i will loctite the bolts which brings me to this ?. does anyone know torque specs for bolts that connect clutch to flywheel and the bolt that holds flywheel on to crank?

brake cleaner safe or not on the stator and pick up coil ? anyone

Hmm, I'm not sure, I'd hate to lose a stator if it wasn't. It sits in an oil bath so does it need to be cleaned?

Latest posts

Back