Starter ground path upgrade, helps hot cranking

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingy

Reaction score
I was looking through the How to Section and I found that the VMax's suffer from the same starter problems that the Ventures do. The mod detailed below has helped a number of Ventures to start better.

Attached are some pictures of the modification I made to the starter on my 83 1st gen. Venture.

I added two 14 gauge wires bolted to the brush plate then bolted to the starter end cover.

The purpose of this is to give a better path to ground for the brush plate. Stock version allows a path to ground through the tabs around the plate. There is no screwed connection from the brush plate to the starter end housing. If these tabs become corroded, loose or burnt from arcing, starter functioning will decrease.

The wire that I used might not be large enough by itself to carry the full starter current, but it is meant to supplement the existing ground path. The two added wires were 14 gauge and combined they are very close in size to the braided wire connected to the brushes. I used the 14 gauge wire as I could not find terminals with small enough eyelets in 12 gauge size. Also the smaller wire is easier to bend and form in the confined space.

Gary

PICT5454s.JPG

This shows the location of the drilled & tapped hole. I used a 4mm screw to attach wire with. Hole is at 2 o'clock position.

PICT5455s.JPG

This shows location of hole through end cover from outside.

PICT5456s.JPG

The hole in the brush plate is shown at the 7 o'clock position.

PICT5458s.JPG

Picture of grounding wires. I used two 14 gauge wires.

PICT5459s.JPG

Wires attached to end cover.

PICT5460s.JPG

Wires attached to brush plate.

Very good!

I have a local fried who use to have that kind of problems.
If I remember correctly he soldered a piece of wire but I must ask him how and where...

I rebuilt my starter yesterday and just cleaned every metal to metal contact including the points where it mounts up to the block with a dremel wire wheel. I also bent the tabs on the plate higher then they have to be and used the end cap to tension them. The cranking power has significantly improved.

Considering how much current is being dumped through the ground, 2 14 guages wires cant compete with the starter housing and the points at which it attaches to the block.

The added wires are not competing with the existing path to ground. The original path to ground is still there with the suggested addition of the two 14 gage wires.

These two wires provide an extra parallel path to ground.

Gary

Considering how much current is being dumped through the ground, 2 14 guages wires cant compete with the starter housing and the points at which it attaches to the block.

The wire that I used might not be large enough by itself to carry the full starter current, but it is meant to supplement the existing ground path. The two added wires were 14 gauge and combined they are very close in size to the braided wire connected to the brushes. I used the 14 gauge wire as I could not find terminals with small enough eyelets in 12 gauge size. Also the smaller wire is easier to bend and form in the confined space.

You can't ever have too many grounds. First rule of electricity. Energy flows from ground to positive so the ground wire is far more important!

You can't ever have too many grounds. First rule of electricity. Energy flows from ground to positive so the ground wire is far more important!

I agree with you, however, in this case the additional ground created by the added wires will produce no change. The amount of ground available through the case is more than sufficient if its assembled correctly.

The best ground for a starter(if it doesnt have a sufficient ground through its case) is a heavy gauge wire as thick as the positive running from the brush plate back to the battery.

Yes You can.
Ground Loop as we sayin here, Im not sure its good term in ENG :ummm:
This fenomena could be very dangerous and burn some electronics.

I rebuilt my starter yesterday and just cleaned every metal to metal contact including the points where it mounts up to the block with a dremel wire wheel. I also bent the tabs on the plate higher then they have to be and used the end cap to tension them. The cranking power has significantly improved.

That was the key to my successful rebuild, both on my Max and the 86 Venture I used to own. Both never had problems since. I did not add any wiring, merely bending those tabs resolved any starter issues I had. :clapping:

Back