steering lock

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ta406

Reaction score
I recently purchased a vmax with a bent frame. I have since replaced the frame with a frame I picked up from a salvage yard. I am wondering how I can replace the steering lock with the one from my old frame? The salvage frame did not come with a key and I would like to get the steering lock to work. Thanks

I never even use my fork lock. Simply because you have to have the bars all the way to right to lock it, and then (on my bike anyway) it seems like even a moderate wind would blow the bike over, allowing the kickstand to fold up, and the bike to go bang against the ground.
My forks compress that easily.

I 2ND 89MAX ! ( NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE ) PLUS HERE IN NEW JERSEY THEY JUST PICK IT UP & THROW IT INTO THE BACK OF A PICK-UP & TAKE OFF IF THEY WANT IT ! I HERE IT ALL THE TIME ON MY " POLICE SCANNER " ! MOST OF THE TIME ITS FROM THE MALL , OUTSIDE OF THE MOVIES ! :confused2:

Locks keep honest people out.. Plus anyways ya know how easy it is to snap the lock.. like 10 seconds!

I know this aint the answer to your question, but I have heard of VMAX's falling over while on the stand. Plus Most of your sport bikes are being stolen and stripped selling parts.
You have insurance dont ya? Thats the key... ;-)

smart people park while its in gear..im not one of them...i use my lock on side stand with no problem.... probably center stand is better option ....but then again mine is all stock and everything works correctly

I recently purchased a vmax with a bent frame. I have since replaced the frame with a frame I picked up from a salvage yard. I am wondering how I can replace the steering lock with the one from my old frame? The salvage frame did not come with a key and I would like to get the steering lock to work. Thanks

Hey,

I have a 91 Vmax and want to replace the steering lock as well. I have seen a few locks on Ebay that say they are for a Vmax, but I don't know about how to replace it - if you get any good leads or info, or figure it out, I'd be grateful to hear how you did it!

You will need to remove the lock cover rivet to get the lock out, using a strong flat head screw driver between the cover & its housing until the rivet comes out a little then pull it with a pliers, get new rivet from yamaha.
http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeI...VMX1200RC_V-MAX/GroupID/350825/Group/STEERING_

You will need to remove the lock cover rivet to get the lock out, using a strong flat head screw driver between the cover & its housing until the rivet comes out a little then pull it with a pliers, get new rivet from yamaha.
http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeI...VMX1200RC_V-MAX/GroupID/350825/Group/STEERING_

No need to remove the rivet. We talked about that already. Just unbend the lock lid stops and rotate the lid until you see the full locking gadget. Then using the key just unlock and slide out. Be careful not to loose the spring... It may fall. To install reverse the procedure...

prez, not to nit-pick, but that sentence should be "pretty MUCH any rivet...."

Cool, thx!
Ill try to remember that!

No need to remove the rivet. We talked about that already. Just unbend the lock lid stops and rotate the lid until you see the full locking gadget. Then using the key just unlock and slide out. Be careful not to loose the spring... It may fall. To install reverse the procedure...
By benting the lid you may damage the coating and it may start to rust - I bealive lid has some coating?

Back