steering torquing without removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serrow

Reaction score
all the instructions i see for torquing the steering head bearings call for the bike to be on the center stand, and handlebars removed. is it possible to do it while the bike is just sitting there. I dont have a center stand, but my new to me vmax needs some torquing.

any ideas?

Only thing you can really do is use a screwdriver and hammer to turn the two SPANNER nuts. These are visible just below the big nut on the top triple tree. Otherwise, best to follow procedure in manual.

Mark

Last edited:
any quick reference to the direction to torque? is it clockwise as if i am sitting atop the scoot?

Yeah, clockwise. Make sure you align the slots of the nuts.

Mark

okay, i get the spanner nuts now. still will likely have to take off the risers to get the stem nut as well right? anyone find a good tool that has reach enought to adjust that nut with the risers still on? I'm just assuming that tightening the spanner nut would mean tightening the stem nut as well.. but then again, most of the instructions i am seeing include tearing it all apart. Since I dont have my stand yet, I'm more looking for a side of the road type adjustment.

A Hammer and screwdriver (actually a drift pin driver) have always worked for me.

A 1-1/16 combo wrench will fit the top nut also...

+1 on that. What's up Rusty? Did you get grounded by the wifey for hangin with the boys too often?:worthy: :real mad:

Welcome back.

Mark

I was on vacation and doing home projects the whole time. Didn't get on the net one time. Kinda weaned me from the forum thing. There's also word their crackin' down on "meassage board activity" at work so I'm kinda laying low.

Thanks,

Rusty

Back