stock, but has always run rich at idle...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxpooka

Reaction score
Bone stock 2006 and my bike has ALWAYS run rich at idle.....when I pull up to a stop light, the thing stinks like unburnt fuel---I have asked people who ride behind me if they smell anything when we are at speed, and they say no, but who knows if the airflow might be pulling the smell out away from the bike. Does anyone know if the max is jetted fat on the low end intentionally from the factory? The bike runs great, and will average 40mpg with no problem. I guess a smart thing to do would be to pull the spark plugs and have a look. Bob

OK simple things first

Airfilter.... how new is it?
Sea Foam Treatment, when was the last time?
Spark Plugs, Last time they were changed?

Bike-6,600 miles.
Air filter, stock-just checked it-clean as the day it was made.
never had the sea foam treatment.
never changed the plugs.
The bike has run this way since the day I brought it home new from the dealer in 2006

My bike smells real rich at idle too - in fact my cousin commented on it today. I just tell everybody it's a high hp motor with a lot of valve overlap. Honestly I don't know if they all smell that way. Uncle Philthy visited me at my work yesterday, but as soon as he lit that MAX up he was GONE !! Never had a chance to smell it idle. I suspect it's not normal myself - perhaps a plugged air jet or something out of adjustment. Have you synced lately ?

The carbs have never been sync'd....it always ran so good and strong, that I just assumed like you just stated that due to the big cams and the way it lobes at idle, it just wasn't completely burning off the fuel at idle. Nobody has ever complained about me stinkin while riding....but they sure bitch when we pull up to a long stop light!!

Yeah I looked at the plugs at my 4,000 mile service interval....looked sweet....checked gap...dead on...put back in. I'm gonna check / replace them tomorrow--thanks for the input!

Once a month?? by the time you are done you will be able to ride once or twice and have to re-sync!!LOL Seriously, the bike does not run bad...and does not run any different than the day I bought it...but I will borrow a friends sync gauge and have a look at them. Does everyone sync their carbs this often?? I always figured if it was running crappy or 1 plug looked different that the others, then I would be eyeballin the carbs for adjustment.

The Yamaha Service Manual for the Vmax calls for carb syncing once a month..

NG, i don't think thats once a month, just at each one of those intervals... i think its good to do w/in the first 1k miles b/c of the breakin...

NG, i don't think thats once a month, just at each one of those intervals... i think its good to do w/in the first 1k miles b/c of the breakin...

Well it is called an interval chart, and the interval is 1000 km or 1 month.

So that's how I read it. To be honest, I do mine maybe every 2-3 months, and it's often more of a check than an adjust, but I can see how with all the vibes and other carb/air/fuel gremlins it makes a lot of sense to keep them well adjusted.

Just like you make sure there's air in your tires and meat on your brake pads really..

Your carbs should stay sync'd for 3K without any problems. I sync mine more often just cause it feels good to see the s/s rods in a perfect line across the face of the gauge, but it isn't necessary.

Naughty is right-if it runs good and gets good mileage don't fix it....it ain't broke! (If I could just take my own advice:bang head:)

Anyone gives you crap about the gas smell at a light just smile and say, "Don't worry, you won't be smelling it much longer!!" :biglaugh:

Got my manual out last night....the chart is as follows for carb sync: first 600 miles or 1st month...then every 4000 miles or 6 months thereafter. I will check the carbs, but I can generally get 130/150 miles before I have to switch to reserve,(combo highway&city) which is hard to be angry about. "Don't worry, you wont be smellin it much longer"..... Thats an awesome way to look at it dannymax! Thanks again for the input guys...

Got my manual out last night....the chart is as follows for carb sync: first 600 miles or 1st month...then every 4000 miles or 6 months thereafter. I will check the carbs, but I can generally get 130/150 miles before I have to switch to reserve,(combo highway&city) which is hard to be angry about. "Don't worry, you wont be smellin it much longer"..... Thats an awesome way to look at it dannymax! Thanks again for the input guys...

130 miles before the light?? Man I wish. My '06 has never been able to go that far. Then again, I don't do much highway riding. Worst ever was around 86 or so. I think that was after winter storage though so that may have had a lot to do with it cause I kept cycling the pump every few days. But typical for me is around 100.

130 miles before the light?? Man I wish. My '06 has never been able to go that far. Then again, I don't do much highway riding. Worst ever was around 86 or so. I think that was after winter storage though so that may have had a lot to do with it cause I kept cycling the pump every few days. But typical for me is around 100.

Yeah, same here..130 - 150? In my dreams perhaps!! Thought my '06 was doing good at 118 miles. Only 108 with the '99.

I will check the carbs, but I can generally get 130/150 miles before I have to switch to reserve,(combo highway&city) which is hard to be angry about.

Yea I'm well impressed with that too - I do mostly highway, and with a Venture diff, but still only ever get 105 miles before reserve..

Yea I'm well impressed with that too - I do mostly highway, and with a Venture diff, but still only ever get 105 miles before reserve..

never seen over 105 or under 95 (except winter storage) on my '94 or 2k3

115-120 should be the norm once fully tuned in with decent riding (not necessarily babying it).

Sean

Latest posts

Back