Stock Exhaust Bolt Size

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatbiker

Reaction score
My recently purchased 86 Max came with SuperTrapp Slip-on's that were in terrible condition so I chunked them and installed the stock mufflers. I found out that the bolt that connects the mufflers under the center stand is missing. Does anyone know what size it is and if I can get one at Home Depot, Lowes, or wherever?

Also, my carbs are running very rich and exhaust smoke is pouring out where the mufflers connect to the header pipes. I've tightened the exhaust clamps but should I have used some sort of paste or sealant there? I can also hear the engine very loudly near the connections.

Thanks!

Fatbiker

Well I did some research and realized I need 4 new silencer gaskets as the original ones are missing. Easy and cheap purchase on Ebay. Now I just need to figure out the correct bolt size for the stock mufflers. Wildweasel says M6 size but how long of a bolt do I need?

Fatbiker

Not an M6 if you're talking about the main bolt going through the tounge of the muffler into the vibration dampening bracket. I've probably got all the stuff from a stock system around here for cheap enough.

Mike Hanson down in your area might have what you need too.

Thought you were talking about clamping bolts... Are there any on a stock muffler? Don't remember...

There is one bolt that connects the muffler assembly just underneath the center stand.

Thanks Sean! I'll drop by Home Depot today and see if I can find one long enough to work.

Back