Strafer's Been Down With Carb Issues For Months.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
I've been accumulating parts and equipment to rebuild the carbs on my 94. This, since they started acting up about months ago. I tried everything attempting to clear the idle jets of crap, tiny rust particles. Short of stripping the carbs completely down. Pea Shooter, Shotgun. Cleaners in the gas of all Kinds. Taking the bike out, warming it up and run it hard and then drop the throttle and let the engine break and pull vacuum on the idle circuits. I've even had to charge my Odyssey Battery several times from neglecting the bike for weeks at a time. :bang head:

Yesterday I decided it was "Judgement Day", time to pull the carbs off and get the work done. I finally had the spare hours to "Do It". Figured I'd take a quick ride as the bike was idling OK on choke and running fine over 3,000 RPM. I got about 1-2 miles in and all of a sudden the bike started running perfect other than my having the idle set too high. It was idling at 1500 RPM instead of where it had been (1000 RPM, Where I'd set it while the problem existed). Lights went off in my head, I reached down and turned the idle back to 1100. I decided to make a loop and hit the interstate just to see. It was running great when I passed the point of no return. My Exit.

I took quite a ride and the bike ran perfect through the whole thing. When I got home, I backed the drain screws out and drained the carbs into a white paper cup. Absolutely not a spec of rust from any of them...

Carb Rebuild is on hold for right now and my fingers are crossed. I'll keep checking things as this may not last but after my ride things are looking good right now.. Sometimes God Does Help the Little Guy....:clapping::clapping::clapping:

I will check the sync in the next few days....

Every squirrel gets a nut once in awhile Dave! I could not be happier for you! And you did it yourself makes it all that more sweeter. Hope that solves it for good and its nothing but routine maintenance for a good long time!

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

Good for ya Dave. I like when something fixes itself. That's the day I buy a lotto ticket. My Vboost didn't work when I bought the bike. I wacked the boost motor tried it, and it's worked for 35k miles???? I'm usually not that lucky.
Steve-o

I'm finally realizing that it's not just me that has weird things go wrong. I was going to do final assembly of a holster last night. I'd put the part I needed (Captivated) inside the holster just the night before. No way it could escape. I had moved it from the gun room to the bedroom and back to put it together. Spent 2 hours looking for the part last night and never found it.:bang head::bang head::bang head: I'm making a new part today.

Other times, I'll find things that have been missing for years. 2 of my trucks had the Check Engine Lights lit this week. Put the OBD II Scanner on and cleared them both. They stayed off. I sure hope Strafer's Carbs continue to work. Life can be so frustration....:confused2:

At times I think Ghosts, Gobblins, Gremlins or something else causes these troubles. Hope they have a great laugh but I'll be laughing last....:biglaugh:

Badd luck follows me around waiting for the chance to pounce. Happy to hear that it's not just me.

If it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck. The Sun does shine once in a while but less as I get older, that's a story for another thread.

Back