Strange symptoms & unusual problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Reaction score
See if you can figure this one out....:biglaugh:

The '96 I just got runs pretty good but requires full choke to start and seems to be a little finicky about starting.

It will idle after warming up but there are persistent backfires while idling....throttle response is immediate with no hesitation or backfires but when the idle drops back down the backfires return.

On the road throttle response is great and the bike pulls like a train, no backfires, no hesitation until it returns to idle.

The PO told me he had fuel leaking out #4 which fouled the plug and the backfiring was the plug trying to clear itself out.

He also told me that he just paid a guy $300 to install all new carb boots (including V-boost boots), the boots are new.

-OK, I didn't buy the plug clearing thing....the backfires were due to some other cause.

-Didn't appear to be electrical cause it didn't happen under accelleration, or when the throttle was whacked open in his yard....so it had to be carb related.

-I had a feeling that the backfires had been occuring for awhile and the PO, or his mechanics, felt there was a vacuum leak and that's why the carb boots were replaced....when that didn't resolve the issue he got frustrated and he put the bike on C/L. (but that's supposition on my part).

So I been working on the carbs for the last couple days....pretty sure I'd found the problem yesterday but had to look at everything else before buttoning them back up. Fired her up about 4 this afternoon....no backfires, no hesitation....she's all better and runs beautifully!

This fix didn't cost a penny and I didn't have to add or remove any parts from the rack.

So, what was causing these strange backfires and how did I reslove it? :ummm:

i say BRC black magic.....its your loving touch dannymax......or you scared the shit out of the carb and they smartened up bahahahhaha

leaky needle seat and now they settled in........

Wait a minute here, did I miss something?

Danny, you bought another max!

As far as your issue, does it do it when the choke is on or only after the bike is at temp and with choke off?

Mine right now is backfiring (through exhaust) when cold and choke is on. Once warmed up and choke off now issues and runs great will riding with no backfiring.

Mike

One of the starter levers is loose and not moving.

All starter plungers were functioning properly.

Sticking deceleration plunger diphram.

All decell plungers working well also....a little gummed up and sticky, but working. The backfiring was only at idle.

i say BRC black magic.....its your loving touch dannymax......or you scared the shit out of the carb and they smartened up bahahahhaha

leaky needle seat and now they settled in........

The leaking fuel was reported by the PO, I never saw any. The float needles and seats were in nice shape and working properly. BTW, the floats were adjusted pretty well too....not perfect but pretty close.

Wait a minute here, did I miss something?

Danny, you bought another max!

As far as your issue, does it do it when the choke is on or only after the bike is at temp and with choke off?

Mine right now is backfiring (through exhaust) when cold and choke is on. Once warmed up and choke off now issues and runs great will riding with no backfiring.

Mike
I did Mike....got this one!

http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/3249519635.html

It needs a little tlc (and obviously paint!!!) but it's a great bike. I got it as a spec bike but I love it, it's really powerful and handles like a dream....looks like I'll be adding it to the 'stable'! :biglaugh:

The backfiring problem occurred at idle AFTER the bike was warmed up....I don't recall hearing it when it was 'choked' and warming up.

VAGUE HINT: All the bits and peices inside the carbs are OEM and, other than needing a good cleaning, are in good operational condition.This is not one of your normal and usual problems....yer gonna have to think outside the box on this one! :ummm::ummm::ummm:

Pilot jets plugged

Pilot jets needed some cleaning but they were not plugged.

the needle jet nut was loose???

No, the needle jet bolts were tight but you're thinking is headed in the right direction.....:clapping:

Remember....it's an unconventional type of problem. :punk:

Also....it was only at idle, not when under throttle.

gasket missing.....jets inside loose?
backfire in exhaust either leaking fuel or suckin air a bit right.......wait too early to guess i need cafe and pie

i forget isnt there two different screw lengths? were they in the wrong spots?

idle circuit eh:ummm:

gasket missing.....jets inside loose?
backfire in exhaust either leaking fuel or suckin air a bit right.......wait too early to guess i need cafe and pie

Gaskets were in place.....jets loose? Hmmmmm :hmmm:...can you elaborate on that one a bit? Why would that cause backfires at idle but not under accel? :ummm:

acting like larger jet letting in more fuel then needed at idle but on the throttle was ok.....something close to that, again no cafe or pie yet your freaking out my brain danno

I'm going with rubber plugs. Please send gift certificate for complimentary carb rebuild at your earliest convenience!

acting like larger jet letting in more fuel then needed at idle but on the throttle was ok.....something close to that, again no cafe or pie yet your freaking out my brain danno

OK< I'm asking for too much detail....you were close enough Rov....loose jets! I'll explain shortly.

I'm going with rubber plugs. Please send gift certificate for complimentary carb rebuild at your earliest convenience!

Sorry Patrick, rubber plugs were good! :clapping:

+1. :rofl_200:. didn't take long, huh, dannymax.

Well, some things are just in the blood ninj.....nothing I could do about it....just had to have another one! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

thats why you have BRC shop hahahha if you can explain this one danno then you can help with with v1 always having a slight pop when warming up with 1/4 choke and never when warm at idle or on the gas just a cold warm up thing, never bothered with it as its done it like clock work for 6 yrs and never worse never better and only occasionally out one cylinder it sounds(when i had cobras on it) others attributed it to needle leaking.....sounds like a max thing to me lol

Latest posts

Back