Stuck in Italy HELP PLEASE!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namgats

Reaction score
Hi, I'm in Italy and my 89 vmax has statred a bad oil leak...it's coming from the right hand side just behind the oil viewing glass. I have previously fittred an oil guage, to do this i removed a bolt behind the oil viewing glass, and attached the oil gauge there....but below that...right underneath is a circular flat something or other...and the oil is leaking from theer...I've taken some pics and will try to get them on unless someone knows whereabout I mean...and does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix...GREATLY APPRECIATED>>>THANKS!!!!!

Hi, i just found out i need to host pics somewhere..but I cant do that so if anyone thinks that they could help i can email pics if that's ok...I really need some advice urgently please, many many thanks!!!!!

Attachments

• 1240320123155.jpg
    1240320123155.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 1240320123156.jpg
    1240320123156.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Look here on how to attach pictures to your post. You don't have to host them somewhere else.

Get some jb weld and slap it on there to get were u need to go..if its a small gasket (the gasket is small) old secret my gramps taught me u can us cardboard or even part of your cigarette pack!

Hi, THANKS for your help here...!!! I've put two pics on now..

You can see where the oil is leaking from and its really bad when i start her up!

But theres nothing to unbolt to replace a gasket.. I cant understand it... there is just a small round flat piece...similar to the end of a bolt..if you know what I mean...I'm baffled!!

If you hit the 'advanced' button here when replying you can then attach pictures to your post. Please do so we can have a look and try to work out what's going on.

ok, thanks, I put wem on the first post at the top by mistake..sorry!!! but here they are again... all help GREATLY appreciated..!!!

Attachments

• 1240320123155.jpg
    1240320123155.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 1240320123156.jpg
    1240320123156.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 15
Im not looking at my max right now im at work but is that an oil line right there? are you positive its not coming out of there thats a really big possibility. in your first picture it looks really wet by that line.. Im not right there but the pictures look like thats where its coming from

No. It's all a bit wet now with oil, but I dried it off and it's 'DEFINITELY' coming from the round silver part that looks like the end of a bolt, and it comes out quick from around the sides of it...THANKS!!

I'm sure Sean Morley will have an idea as to what's happening, when he gets round to have a look at it. Maybe, try emailing him directly at [email protected] and send him the pictures and how it started as well as your oil gauge history.

It does look possibly like a bolt.. if it is I wouldn't be surprised if not good. Some sort of crank seal. :(

Thanks very much for that, I've sent Sean an email with the pics attached, hope he knows something...I'm baffled ...because nothing can be unbolted to replace a gasket...and I don't know if something has come away or fell off and thats whats caused the leak...I've no idea :(

But big thanks to all for every idea/bit of advice/help...cheers!!!

In this diagram parts #2 & #3 are labeled as 'nozzles'....they appear to be in the same area of your leak....possible return oil galleries or something, I don't know, but there are no rotating parts, I'd wash the area off good with denatured alcohol and do the suggested JB Weld apply.

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeI...30/Model/VMX12/GroupID/240430/Group/CRANKCASE

Oh, does the leak appear to be under pressure, like spraying out, or is it a serious drip?

Great minds Mike!! :clapping:

Part #14 is what he removed to insert the oil pressure gauge fitting, think his leak is just below that....thinking maybe that nozzle thing, #2, is just above the leaking plug, which may have an o-ring which failed.

Here is what mine looks like, no oil pressure gage. Can you remove Oil Pressure plug and see in? About all I can help. Have you looked at Bike Bandit micro fiche picture?

Attachments

• 0324121939.jpg
    0324121939.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 34
OK; I didn't realize the RonAyers diagram was the same. Looks like the nozzel things alright. I agree with the JB weld.

It's a press in plug that is used to cap off the drill access when the block is machined. You'll need to remove it and drill/tap the location for a small pipe plug. That should seal it back up and get you back on the way. I want to say 1/8"NPT but it may be slightly larger.

The frame rail will need to be taken off to get straight access to it.

Sean

Back