stupid question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah A Hard Break in. Which means they are considered broken in after 25 miles. Do a search and read about "Hard Break In" I used this method on my scooter and having good results so far.

There are no stupid questions but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots:rofl_200:

They may be but my guess is probably not. There is of course a huge variance in opinions on the subject of "breaking in" an engine. My personal opinion is that it's not really necessary especially with the advancements in assembly and materials used today. I have a little experience in building auto engines and have never seen any detrimental affects from little to no break in. As I said before this is my personal opinion based on my personal experiences.

It will be a tough call, although I will lean more towards the quick break in as I don't know how long I can go without twisting the throttle hard!! And who knows what the dealer will do to it once they get their hands on it - I'm sure they're going to be tempted to see what it can do (I hope not though).

I CONSIDER A NEW ENGINE NOT " BROKEN-IN " UNTILL THE FIRST SET OF FLASHING LIGHTS ARE BEHIND ME :nyah nyah::double angry bird: ! THEN 20 MINUTES LATER WHEN I'M HOME CALLING MY FRIENDS & TELLING THEM ABOUT THE CHASE . THEN I CONSIDER IT " BROKEN - IN ":rofl_200:

It will be a tough call, although I will lean more towards the quick break in as I don't know how long I can go without twisting the throttle hard!! And who knows what the dealer will do to it once they get their hands on it - I'm sure they're going to be tempted to see what it can do (I hope not though).

Yeah, but what will you do if, after your hard break in, you throw a rod in your new multi-thousand dollar Max motor? Then, the Yamaha tech peers into your ECU and sees you hit redline multiple times within the first couple hundred miles?

**Warranty service request denied**

Big brother IS watching you now, boys.

Yeah, but what will you do if, after your hard break in, you throw a rod in your new multi-thousand dollar Max motor? Then, the Yamaha tech peers into your ECU and sees you hit redline multiple times within the first couple hundred miles?

THE NEW JERSEY DEALERS DON'T WARRANTY ANYTHING ANYWAY , AND AS FAR AS TECHS GO , THE ONLY REAL TECHS ARE ON THIS FORUM ! THE DEALERS DON'T NO SHIT ABOUT A V-MAX ! AND AS FAR AS BLOWING IT UP , AT LEAST THEN I'LL FEEL SAFE WITH IT PARKED , AND NOT RIDDING IT WAITING FOR IT TO DEVELOP HEAD-SHAKE & WONDERING IF I'M GOING TO LIVE THROUGH IT OR NOT ! ANYWAY IF IT BLOWS-UP , I'M GOING TO PUT A SCOOTER MOTOR ON IT & SELL IT TO LANKEEYANKEE ! :rofl_200:

THE NEW JERSEY DEALERS DON'T WARRANTY ANYTHING ANYWAY , AND AS FAR AS TECHS GO , THE ONLY REAL TECHS ARE ON THIS FORUM ! THE DEALERS DON'T NO SHIT ABOUT A V-MAX ! AND AS FAR AS BLOWING IT UP , AT LEAST THEN I'LL FEEL SAFE WITH IT PARKED , AND NOT RIDDING IT WAITING FOR IT TO DEVELOP HEAD-SHAKE & WONDERING IF I'M GOING TO LIVE THROUGH IT OR NOT ! ANYWAY IF IT BLOWS-UP , I'M GOING TO PUT A SCOOTER MOTOR ON IT & SELL IT TO LANKEEYANKEE ! :rofl_200:

You're not kidding. My dealer didn't know anything about them. Kinda crazy, but I assume it's more common than not.

This would have never occurred to me but, of course, there are ways Yamaha can determine if 'manufacturer's recommended break-in procedures' were violated.

With all the 'liability issues' flying around the warranty may turn out to be the most important document that comes with your new bike.

all i know is my bike pulled harder with 3000 miles on it then it did with 2000 miles on it....pistion break in after 50 miles sure its more about the lower end

when my max was new , it was'nt getting 20 miles a gallon , now with 4,000 miles , i have gotten as high as 46 mpg !

I know from personal experience the hard break in method works. Sean built me an engine. I drove out to Derby to pick it up. We put it in the bike and didnt have a chance to break it in before taking it to Topeka and putting it on the dyno. It only pulled 121 the first time. Sean suggested I take it out and beat the snot out of it. Well I did. Jeff (HuberJW) went with and we beat it up pretty good for about 20 miles or so. Brought it back and picked up 9 hp, all the way up to a respectable 130.

Cheers

All the guys buying new Maxes will have to make up their minds how to break their new engine in. Just having gone through it, I didn't want to give Suzuki ANY reason to deny a claim, so I patiently watched as the odometer ticked by...

My opinion is break it in the way you usualy ride when your frisky (not racing). Redine is out. missing shifts is out, lugging is out, riding two up is out. I also ride all city, lettiing the bike cool completely several times between rides. First oil change is between 50 and 100 miles with dino oil only for at least 1000 miles. This will probably be the first bike i have owned that you can never lose a stop light race while still breaking in. :Guns:

I say do what Yamaha says. They are a multy billion dollar corp. and they don't want there engines comming back for warranty work. I don't think they would give faulty info or just over look soming this important. I also heard they break in engines at the factory.

Back