Tacho Replacement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmoffat

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here but am already enjoying this forum, it rocks! :punk: I'll post some pics of my bike when I get a chance.

Has anyone here replaced the stock tacho on their max? I want to do something similar to the picture below, but will replace the stock tacho with a voltmeter instead of the oil pressure gauge.

I've searched the internet for this same model (Sunpro brand) but can't find it anywhere. I really like the chrome of the tacho, white face and lettering which comes close to matching the stock speedo. Any suggestions as to where I might find this one or one that is similar?

Cheers,
Luke

Attachments

• ReadableTach.jpg
    ReadableTach.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 92
Just wanted to Welcome you to the forum lmoffat. I'll let others comment on the stock tacko replacement options since I'm still running stock on my 06. Looking forward to some pics of your ride soon !

Welcome to the club! You're on the East side but it's nice to have another Oz member :)

Pls do post pix of your ride when you can, it's always good to see!

I know ive seen people running the Sunpro's. I plan on putting one on mine here in the next few months but im going to have a shop do it.. no idea if its just plug and play or if you need to do a lot of modifications. I think Green light blitz and KJshover have run those but I could be wrong.. they will probably chime in.. if not send them i'd send them a PM.

-Chiming in-:eusa_dance:

Welcome to the forum, it just gets better from here!

NOW...back to the tach. You can find it at Autozone although I think they might be in the process of phasing that model out. I know this because I have the same one in my Chevelle and it took alot of running around to find that one with the white face. (side note it comes with a shift light,installing it on the bike is up to you though)

I have the brother model to that one on my Max, also a Sunpro. They are almost plug and play. I suggest running a new power and ground wire and using the stock tach's green wire for signal. Thats how Im running right now.

Mine does tend to lag a bit and shutter but I cant contribute this to the the tach or the wiring yet because I bought the tach used. Another forum member (Vmax626) has that exact same tach on his bike that you want and his works great.

However I give you fair warning, the bezel on the back is pretty deep. It looks like a friggin headlight so you might need to modify how you mount it accordingly.

Let me know if I can answer questions. Heres mine

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 41
They are pretty much plug and play...............
I had the sunpro 5 inch tach w/ shift light on for awhile when I went to the strip often.
I then switched to a sunpro 3 1/2 incher with a internal light which is perfect for the street and not too obnoxious looking:rofl_200:

I now just run a dyna shift light only.

The big tach is nice looking if your bike is set up right.

They are pretty much plug and play...............
I had the sunpro 5 inch tach w/ shift light on for awhile when I went to the strip often.
I then switched to a sunpro 3 1/2 incher with a internal light which is perfect for the street and not too obnoxious looking:rofl_200:

I now just run a dyna shift light only.

The big tach is nice looking if your bike is set up right.

HEY NOW! Don't pick on our giant tachometers. We gotta have SOMETHING to tuck behind as a windshield!:yelrotflmao:

HEY NOW! Don't pick on our giant tachometers. We gotta have SOMETHING to tuck behind as a windshield!:yelrotflmao:

That's why I got rid of it....eating too many bugs. Had to get a screen on their.
You are right though, drag bars and a monster tach is the sweetest looking thing on a max.

I put the tach where the speedo was, and made a bracket for the speedo beside it.
When I put the screen on, I used the 3 1/2 inch tach on the bars.
Miss it yes for the wow factor, and tucking behind with the needle right in your face.

I can't remember where I got mine when I had it. I think it was Jegs or summit.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...1+2+3+13+1147708&searchTerm=sunpro+tachometer

It worked just fine nice and smooth, but I went a different direction.

instuments.jpg

kjsvmax.jpg

Now I'm just running a shift light up top. I have another sunpro that I've wired on a connector, so when I tune the bike I just plug it in, then just unplug it when I'm done and tuck the plug under the neck cover. When get I done redoing the instrument panel, I'm going to add a jack for the plugin so I don't have to mess around with hiding it.

p1030119w.jpg

I just bought one on amazon for $71 with free shipping. That's a super cool mod for the low price

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Also, KJ.. what windscreen is that? Did you have to modify it to fit the big tach?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

if you just need 3 wires too, rc stereo jacks work really well from radio shack. clean connectors too.

I can't remember where I got mine when I had it. I think it was Jegs or summit.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...1+2+3+13+1147708&searchTerm=sunpro+tachometer

It worked just fine nice and smooth, but I went a different direction.

kjsvmax.jpg

Now THAT would have been the look I would have stayed with, KJ!:punk:
But everyone's got different tastes, when it comes to looks.
That big tach, shift light, nitrous, blacked out bodywork and wheels - just looks badddddddddd!
Wish I had photoshop skills. I'd put a 7'" round HID light up front, with a dark windscreen, a tad bigger than the OEM, and dual black ceramic cans- you'd have a pure '80's vintage musclecar....er..bike.
Just "thinking out loud"
Cheers!

Now THAT would have been the look I would have stayed with, KJ!:punk:
But everyone's got different tastes, when it comes to looks.
That big tach, shift light, nitrous, blacked out bodywork and wheels - just looks badddddddddd!
Wish I had photoshop skills. I'd put a 7'" round HID light up front, with a dark windscreen, a tad bigger than the OEM, and dual black ceramic cans- you'd have a pure '80's vintage musclecar....er..bike.
Just "thinking out loud"

It stayed that way for a summer. Then I started getting looks and attention I didn't want. Apparently there is an '06 with a UFO pipe in town that has riding issues. I saw it once at the local Safeway's parking lot, a while back, but not since. The only difference was the big tach on mine and the carr wheels on his. So I changed the look. problem solved :biglaugh:

Shoot me a picture of your bike and what you want done to it, I'll crank it out this weekend between study sessions.

It stayed that way for a summer. Then I started getting looks and attention I didn't want. Apparently there is an '06 with a UFO pipe in town that has riding issues. I saw it once at the local Safeway's parking lot, a while back, but not since. The only difference was the big tach on mine and the carr wheels on his. So I changed the look. problem solved :biglaugh:

Shoot me a picture of your bike and what you want done to it, I'll crank it out this weekend between study sessions.

I swear, I am in love with your bike. I know I have said that a few times now. I just love the set up, nothing too flashy but still hardcore.

Edit: lol what looks and riding issues?

I swear, I am in love with your bike. I know I have said that a few times now. I just love the set up, nothing too flashy but still hardcore.

Edit: lol what looks and riding issues?

I was getting dirty looks from the public in general, but only in a certain area. I was told by a few friends they thought they saw me flying through a pedestrian rich parking lot, and generally riding stupid.

Latest posts

Back