Taking off the stock grips and end caps

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting idea but WAY too expensive. You can buy an electronic cruise control from Audiovox (for cars) for less than $100. I have 2 friends that did that and they worked great on a 3500 mile trip last year. (FJR1300 and Kaw Concours). Just have to make a vacuum tank with plumbing PVC parts from a hardware store and find a place to install it. I bought one for My 1200 Bandit but haven't found a good place to mount the tank. Might be a problem on the Max also.

Interesting idea but WAY too expensive. You can buy an electronic cruise control from Audiovox (for cars) for less than $100. I have 2 friends that did that and they worked great on a 3500 mile trip last year. (FJR1300 and Kaw Concours). Just have to make a vacuum tank with plumbing PVC parts from a hardware store and find a place to install it. I bought one for My 1200 Bandit but haven't found a good place to mount the tank. Might be a problem on the Max also.

Thats the kicker on a Vmax...

Good day all,
Well I finally got the cruise control to work :banana:Went for a 140 mile ride and no gliches. I have found out one important thing while visiting this site regarding the VMAX. The bike was designed especally for a guy like me. My frame never flexes the shocks dampen the bumps steering wobble never occures. Why you ask? I never ride over 75 mph I run the twisties at 5mph over the limit sign no more and riding two up I average 45.6 mpg. I know (wuss) but can you ask for any thing better.

Older thread ,but wanted to post the air trick works like a dream,"with stock type" once end cap is off,I used a cheap Harbor Freight air gun with the long straw type rod,"Less than 6.00", Stuck it in between the bar and the rubber grip,shot it with a blast of air , and the grip popped right off!. I thought it was a fluke but worked on the throttle side too!

Well gents,
The end caps came off just like you said. Grip was a sinch to remove and crome inner cap. Installed the Break-a-way cruise control. Works very well. Problem with it ,,,,,, eats up a lot of the grip. So It's not a good choice for the VMAX. So off it came and in the box. :bang head: Now I have a $200.00 dust collector. But I want to thank all who walked me through the stepts.

How did you hook up the throttle side to the new grip?.

Good day all,
Well I finally got the cruise control to work :banana:Went for a 140 mile ride and no gliches. I have found out one important thing while visiting this site regarding the VMAX. The bike was designed especally for a guy like me. My frame never flexes the shocks dampen the bumps steering wobble never occures. Why you ask? I never ride over 75 mph I run the twisties at 5mph over the limit sign no more and riding two up I average 45.6 mpg. I know (wuss) but can you ask for any thing better.

45mpg !!!:worthy:.I get about 32 riding easy.You must turn the engine off and coast down hills:rofl_200:.

I get 44 mpg, normal riding, only occasional full throttle. Bike is completely stock engine-wise but does have Venture rear end.

How did you hook up the throttle side to the new grip?.
You'll more than likely have to cut some off if you run bar ends and you'll want to retain the stock chrome trim ring that sits next to the controls. Alternatively you could also carefully grind down the plastic parts that are covered by the chrome trim ring to gain some extra grip width. I wear a xl glove and my hand just fits between my chrome trim ring and bar end mirrors but rub when I'm wearing my cold weather gloves.
I use the Pro Grip 862 and did not use any glues other than what was left form the stock grip, which was not much. Here are a couple of pictures; first 2 are from 2008 and the third is how it's setup now.
IMG_2781.jpg IMG_2760.jpg IMG_1780.jpg

When I changed the grips on the Shadow, I just cut the stock ones off. I had no intention of going back to stock. When I swap the stock Max grips for a set of Kuryakyn Transformer grips, I will probably do the same.

Back