Taking off the stock grips and end caps

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbarrie

Reaction score
Was wondering the best way to get off the old stock grips. Sure, I could cut them off, BUT I don't want to wreck them. Anybuddy, figure out or know of any tricks to do this....? Soak in hot water ? Use a heat gun ? Please let me know if ya do.
By the way my search option doesn't work.

I can't see to get the caps off the fuc'n thing. What in the hell did this guy use ?

By the way if anyone is looking for a good glue, this stuff called "The Last Glue" is rather amazing. I wonder if this guy that had the bike before me used the same stuff. If he did I'm fuc'd.

Last edited:
Re: Taking off the stock grips

Take a larger screwdriver and insert between the grip and the plastic end piece. Point driver in the direction you want the cap to move so the rim won't get messed up. Do this on both sides of the cap a little at a time until you can pull it off. Take another thin screwdriver, place under grip, making sure the end won't puncture the grip. Roll and force around handle to break hold. A little soapy water sprayed underneath will help. Then just twist and pull off.

I just inserted a screwdriver under the end of mine and rolled it around the circumference of the grip as I pulled it off. Worked just fine.

I've also been told inserting a compressed air blow tip under the end of the grip and blowing air under it will break the grip but have not ever tried it.

I know what's going to happen here. I'm going to get so fustrated - I'll just snap and wreck the damm things.

Thanks guys, I'll try again.

HI Rob,
If your worried about the cheap, whimpy, plastic handelbar end caps----- don't. I think they are garbage anyway. Find a friend with a lathe and spin up a set. Mine work really well, look much better than stock. I use an allen head capscrew recessed in the end and a rubber stopper with a hole drilled in it to hole the end cap in place. I matched it to the the diameter of the end of the gel grips so it's a bit larger than the stock plastic POS.

If I knew how to post pix I would do so.

Lew

Don't be so hesitant. What's the worst that can happen? Nothing in that area is expensive so relax. I've had my caps off many times and they still look new. They are tough enough to work with. I just took a picture and you should be able to tell how to approach the removal of the caps. Taking the grips off is a piece of cake. Use a philips screw driver to lessen the chances of puncturing the grip. We all hesitated at one time or another but with time and trying, you'll be a pro in no time and be proud of your handywork.

Attachments

• Grips.jpg
    Grips.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 136

Hold the plastic ends firmly and twist back and forth they should come off with no damage.
as for the grips get a can of WD40 push the red straw under the stock grips and give it a squirt or two as far in as possible then start twisting the grip back and forth with both hands, this dissolves the glue and will make them come out with no damage.

Robbarrie said:
Was wondering the best way to get off the old stock grips. Sure, I could cut them off, BUT I don't want to wreck them. Anybuddy, figure out or know of any tricks to do this....? Soak in hot water ? Use a heat gun ? Please let me know if ya do.
By the way my search option doesn't work.

I can't see to get the caps off the fuc'n thing. What in the hell did this guy use ?

By the way if anyone is looking for a good glue, this stuff called "The Last Glue" is rather amazing. I wonder if this guy that had the bike before me used the same stuff. If he did I'm fuc'd.

I just put Sportbars on my Max 3 weeks ago. I simply took a pair of channel locks and wrapped a rag around the end caps and then twisted them out. Just don't squeze harder than you need to to get a grip on them. The grips, I took a small screw driver and lifted up one end and sprayed soapy water in and kept twsiting and pulling till they slid right off. Just keep working the little screwdriver around the circumferance of the bar under the grip and spraying soapy water in there. Eventually the grip will slide right off.

grips

Good day,
I need to remove the throttle grip and my question is, does the crome plastic end cap unscrew or is it glued in the bars. If it is a screw type is it reverse threads or standard.
Thanks for your help.

Re: grips

They should pop right out. Mine weren't threaded at all.

Mark

Re: grips

Good day,
I need to remove the throttle grip and my question is, does the crome plastic end cap unscrew or is it glued in the bars. If it is a screw type is it reverse threads or standard.
Thanks for your help.

They should pop right out. Mine weren't threaded at all.

Mark

Twist, pull and bin...:whistlin: They are only held in by friction.

Another question for all.
I'm going to install BrakeAway cruise control on stock bars. I'm to remove the end cap then the grip then there is a crome plastic ring next to the switch housing. Will the piece slide off the throttle tube? Or am I into some surgery at that point? Thanks again.

Another question for all.
I'm going to install BrakeAway cruise control on stock bars. I'm to remove the end cap then the grip then there is a crome plastic ring next to the switch housing. Will the piece slide off the throttle tube? Or am I into some surgery at that point? Thanks again.

I believe once the grip is removed it will then slide off as well...:thumbs up:

Well gents,
The end caps came off just like you said. Grip was a sinch to remove and crome inner cap. Installed the Break-a-way cruise control. Works very well. Problem with it ,,,,,, eats up a lot of the grip. So It's not a good choice for the VMAX. So off it came and in the box. :bang head: Now I have a $200.00 dust collector. But I want to thank all who walked me through the stepts.

Well gents,
The end caps came off just like you said. Grip was a sinch to remove and crome inner cap. Installed the Break-a-way cruise control. Works very well. Problem with it ,,,,,, eats up a lot of the grip. So It's not a good choice for the VMAX. So off it came and in the box. :bang head: Now I have a $200.00 dust collector. But I want to thank all who walked me through the stepts.

I have the Throttlemiester on mine and love it! No eating grips as it is a bar end...:thumbs up:

Well gents,

Do you have a picture of it installed? I'd be interested to see how much room it takes up. Plus someone here might buy it off you.

Buster,
Sorry I did not take a picture. The cruise control device takes up one and seven eights of a inch on the grip. That includes the plastic crome piece at the switch housing. The crome piece has notches that prevents it from spinning. The crome piece has to stay. If you found a different throttle tube that does not use the plastic crome piece then problem solved. The cruise control worked perfectly other wise. www.berakaway.com The web site has pictures.

Buster,
Sorry I did not take a picture. The cruise control device takes up one and seven eights of a inch on the grip. That includes the plastic crome piece at the switch housing. The crome piece has notches that prevents it from spinning. The crome piece has to stay. If you found a different throttle tube that does not use the plastic crome piece then problem solved. The cruise control worked perfectly other wise. www.berakaway.com The web site has pictures.

Hmm, can't get the URL to work.... :ummm:

Back