tank question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betts

Reaction score
just had a quick look at in the shop and i wanna pull it out and give it a acid wash. bike was stored for 9 years with very little gas in it so condensation took its tole.
will it come out? it look damn tight and id rather not remove the motor just to get at it.:confused2::ummm:

man i wish i had a manual!!

vmaxoutlaw has the manual online..or just look at the parts microfiche at yamaha motors...you don't need to remove engine

I did this and had mine coated and acid washed. You do not need to remove the motor. It's really not that tough at all. Do a search for "gas tank removal" and something should come up.

It will tell you NOT to remove the rear tire but I needed to in order to get mine out.

Yes it's easier to get out without the rear wheel. There's a bit of sub-frame that unbolts on one side (left I think) and then the tank can twist out. I have a spare tank too, it's got a locked cap and no key that will need removing, but I've looked inside and it's clean.

I had my 86 Fazer tank acid washed and POR coated for $120 Can 2 yrs ago....I asked the guy how often this should be done . He said he's been doing it for 12 yrs , and hasn't had a tank returned yet.
He said it's all in the way they are prepped that makes the difference.

ya there is a guy not far from me that does it fairly cheap. been in the rad and tank industry for 3 decades. i'm gonna pull it out tomorrow and get it done, if its salvageable. at least thats the plan we'll see how it goes. so tomorrow is officially day one of my vmax project!

ya there is a guy not far from me that does it fairly cheap. been in the rad and tank industry for 3 decades. i'm gonna pull it out tomorrow and get it done, if its salvageable. at least thats the plan we'll see how it goes. so tomorrow is officially day one of my vmax project!

If you have time, document the procedure with photos and post it here.

Buster, already have something. Shoot me your email addy and I'll forward to you.

only took about an hour, as the body work was already off. took off the fender and the mudflap but left the tire, took off the brace on the left side and the foot peg with it. also took the top bolt out of the rear shock and pushed it back outta the way. then just had to hold your mouth the right way and it pops out. the tank has already been sent to be acid washed and coated.
took some pics but i'm on dial up so it would take forEVER to load up

cheers betts

Latest posts

Back