The IGNITECH TCI thread

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the way to go, I was fighting with 28 year old electronics. The new system is it and the support doesnt get any better, thanks guys. Working on the advance curves that dynatek had in their boxes that are no longer available for the first gens. It sure was nice of them to show what curve each swith did in the owner manuals.

Big thanks to Gary for my Ignitech package.....great looking kit....just wish I had a running bike to fit it too lol....on the shelf it goes to keep the COPS kit company.

Hi,

I`ve been running the Ignitech unit for almost two years now without a problem. Last winter, I`ve installed COP and changed the dwell time to short. Due to a move, I hadn't had time to really test it but now it seems Vboost isn't working anymore. Has anyone got his Ignitech running with short dwell time and origingal Vboost unit? If so, I know the Vboost unit is defective (still goes through it start-up sequence).

Thank you

I'd say that the Vboost not working has to do with COPS and not the ignition unit. There are more reports of VBoost not working after COPS are installed.

I'd say that the Vboost not working has to do with COPS and not the ignition unit. There are more reports of VBoost not working after COPS are installed.

Well, just tried it. If I set the dwell time to short, no Vboost. Set it to Long, it`s back again. If you would have had the Ignitech at auto, it would automatically shorten the dwell time and by that disable Vboost.

Next step will be to check what dwell time is actually needed for the Vboost. How much dwell time can a normal COP handle anyway? What would be safe? Thanks.

Also I know the vboost motor is running on the 5v supplied by the box but I think the ideal thing would be to have it run on 12v as intended. Would something like this in a 6v work? what ya think guys.

http://www.culayer.com/Matchbox.htm

My vboost also stop working and now puitting 2 and 2 together it stopped after I put the COPs on.

I`m running without resistors and my own wiring. Sparks like a champ but the shorter dwell time seems out of range for the stock vboost controller. I`ll do some more work on this and tell you what I can work out.

Also I know the vboost motor is running on the 5v supplied by the box but I think the ideal thing would be to have it run on 12v as intended. Would something like this in a 6v work? what ya think guys.

http://www.culayer.com/Matchbox.htm

My vboost also stop working and now puitting 2 and 2 together it stopped after I put the COPs on.

I do not think it will work. The relay is basically on and off, full or shut, nothing in between. You need some sort of amplifier, not just a relay.

I do not think it will work. The relay is basically on and off, full or shut, nothing in between. You need some sort of amplifier, not just a relay.

Look at post #22 in this thread. I did some tests on the difference between running servo motor at 12v & 5v.

There is also a PDF attached showing a concept to drive the servo motor with the 5v output, but stepping it up to 12v via relays. Don't know that this has been tried. I think that there might be a small issue where there could be a hysteresis (chatter) affect. The Ignitech Vboost output (open percentage of VBoost butterflies) is different from the stock vboost output. Ignitech can be ramped up & down over ten user defined RPM points. To my knowledge, the stock VBoost is either full on or full off. The potential issue that I could see with the relay driven circuit is that if bike were held at a fairly consistent, but varying, maybe a 100 rpm, in the range where the VBoost was set to open, the circuitry may try to open and close (slightly) the VBoost to hold the opening that was set in the curve. There is a setting on the Servo tab that used to be called Hysteresis, but was changed when the V88 unit came out, still there, but now it has 2 input fields. I have not worked with it though.

Gary

Attachments

• 5-12vdc servo drive circuit.pdf
    259.8 KB · Views: 16
Hi,

I`ve been running the Ignitech unit for almost two years now without a problem. Last winter, I`ve installed COP and changed the dwell time to short. Due to a move, I hadn't had time to really test it but now it seems Vboost isn't working anymore. Has anyone got his Ignitech running with short dwell time and origingal Vboost unit? If so, I know the Vboost unit is defective (still goes through it start-up sequence).

Thank you

I am running a V88 Ignitech with COP's and VBoost is working. I can feel it open at RPM range it is set to. This is with the VBoost driven by the TCI, not the stock VBoost controller.

I have no input from anyone using stock VBoost controller with Ignitech TCI and COP's

I am using Short setting in the Dwell field.

I will swap it over to short today and see if that also works.

I have a 4 pickup coil ignition setup (85-89 VMax)

Gary

Last edited:
Look at post #22 in this thread. I did some tests on the difference between running servo motor at 12v & 5v.

There is also a PDF attached showing a concept to drive the servo motor with the 5v output, but stepping it up to 12v via relays. Don't know that this has been tried. I think that there might be a small issue where there could be a hysteresis (chatter) affect. The Ignitech Vboost output (open percentage of VBoost butterflies) is different from the stock vboost output. Ignitech can be ramped up & down over ten user defined RPM points. To my knowledge, the stock VBoost is either full on or full off. The potential issue that I could see with the relay driven circuit is that if bike were held at a fairly consistent, but varying, maybe a 100 rpm, in the range where the VBoost was set to open, the circuitry may try to open and close (slightly) the VBoost to hold the opening that was set in the curve. There is a setting on the Servo tab that used to be called Hysteresis, but was changed when the V88 unit came out, still there, but now it has 2 input fields. I have not worked with it though.

Gary

Hi Gary,
I see what you are getting at. The original unit would slowly open and close the valves over an 500 rpm range. Relays cannot really do that. Also, the feedback via the potentiometer in the servo needs to be handled correctly. A new circuit is needed that would translate between the ignitech output and the servo, knowing that 2v for instance is 20% open etc. That`s going to be challenging...

I am running a V88 Ignitech with COP's and VBoost is working. I can feel it open at RPM range it is set to. This is with the VBoost driven by the TCI, not the stock VBoost controller.

I have no input from anyone using stock VBoost controller with Ignitech TCI and COP's

I am using Auto setting in the Dwell field.

I will swap it over to short today and see if that also works.

I have a 4 pickup coil ignition setup (85-89 VMax)

Gary

2002 Stock vboost setup, cops with resistors, v80 ignitech with garys program - vboost functions normally.
I've been meaning to try using the ignitech to control vboost but just haven't gotten around to playing with it.
Dale #2592

I edited my post #133.

I had posted I was using Auto in the Dwell setting, I am using Short.

Gary

I did some testing today with the dwell field and found out that

At 2.0 ms, Vboost does not work when revving up but does revving down with closed throttle (you can see the servo opening then). That`s probably because the TCI expects the pick-up pulse a bit earlier than it receives it (revving down).
At 2.1 ms, it does work at 1/4 throttle but not at WOT (probably opposite as above, dwell gets a bit shorter then expected when accelerating hard).

So something like 2.3ms would be safe in terms of the Vboost controller but probably is out of specs for the coils. Having said that, we ride with the coils exposed to the open air instead of enclosed in the cylinder head like most bikes/cars would do.

To take it a step back: The Ignitech will in auto mode, measure the resistance for the coils and then decide to use long or short. Above 2 ohm, it`s long (3ms), under, short (1ms). The original coils are 3 ohms or so while my new coils measure at about 1.3. So when the Ignitech is in auto mode and COP`s are installed, dwell goes to 1 ms and disables the Vboost.

I`m going to think about how to proceed...

Hi,

Back again :biglaugh:. Did some research on the servo in and outputs and it turns out the output for the potmeter (measuring the servo`s position) is 5v, but the outputs for the motor turn out about 11.2V without load and drop a little when under load (but still around 10). Below, a nice video when in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE9gscGuWEI

I`m pressing the servo plus and minus buttons in the application, meaning it will turn out about +10 and -10v. It will then run into the maximum the servo allows and bounce back a little when the power is turned off.

I`ll be going that way definitely as in my case at least, the motor moves just the same as with the original controller and it would be _awesome_ to have the Vboost open at 5K RPM at WOT and have it open at 6 or so when 50% or less throttle for fuel economy on the highway.

This unit gets better and better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5ty3a7eoE8

Got it working:Nixon:

Since I also run an TPS, I have created a servo map with just the first row filled in. So for testing I can use the throttle and see how it reacts. Isn't it great? :rofl_200:

Some interesting facts:
1. The 1/P [mv] seems to have to do with lowering the voltage when the servo comes close to it`s intended position so relays will not work.
2. Full open is about 2.6v. If there is a field where you still have 5v configured, the unit will try to get to that setting at startup and will fail calibration. Have scratched my head a while about that one.

Totally psyched about it!

Some interesting facts:
1. The 1/P [mv] seems to have to do with lowering the voltage when the servo comes close to it`s intended position so relays will not work.
2. Full open is about 2.6v. If there is a field where you still have 5v configured, the unit will try to get to that setting at startup and will fail calibration. Have scratched my head a while about that one.

Totally psyched about it!

See if the settings in attached picture help any. I have found percent open works better for me than voltage.

Gary

Attachments

• VBoost settings in TCIP4 software.jpg
    VBoost settings in TCIP4 software.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 59
Back