The Weekend Project- Exhaust, Tail Light and Shocks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drdrewdown

Reaction score
i'm happy to announce we had a successful weekend modding the vmax. thanks to some helpful hands the project went fairly smooth. BIG thanks to Sean Morley for hooking all this up, everything came from him and he helped out majorly on saturday with a good set of carb slides/diaphragms.

Full exhaust system, integrated tail light (morley muscle) and new progressive shocks in the rear made this thing an absolute dream to ride. Still planning on upgrading the front springs with progressive but Sean had to order those :D

The exhaust was removed from another VMAX and includes Hindle Headers with a Devil carbon fiber muffler. I'd seen a youtube video of what it sounded like so i was excited, but it was a major surprise when we fired it up..

We started with a basically stock VMAX & knew with the new exhaust we'd need diff size jets which i got some Sean. Thinkin we had everything we needed, we started with the tail light which required the fender removal

DSC01362.JPG

DSC01364.JPG

While working on the tail light we decided it was a good time to do the shocks which were really pretty easy to install

DSC01366.JPG

The seat & some misc parts removed along with the fender stuff

DSC01367.JPG

Installing new shock

DSC01368.JPG

DSC01369.JPG

DSC01371.JPG

and BOTH rear shocks installed

DSC01372.JPG

man that looks nice, i had no idea the improved ride would be so great!

DSC01375.JPG

shortly after that we pulled the carbs

DSC01377.JPG

but then we got the tail light mounted after some metal work! had to grind off the old tag bracket and fit the new one in

DSC01378.JPG

playing with the carbs, cleaning. putting new jets in

DSC01380.JPG

MAJOR UH OH, found slits in 2 of the diaphragms!!!

DSC01381.JPG

sad bike!

DSC01383.JPG

our photographer skipped out on us at the end so we now have some final pics

looky no exhaust on the left side!! & the pimp new shocks

2011-08-22%25252010.53.19.jpg

new tail light looks great i think!

2011-08-22%25252010.53.46.jpg

i'm so happy with how this turned out, i can't believe it!!

2011-08-22%25252010.54.21.jpg

2011-08-22%25252010.54.52.jpg

All in all it took us about 12 man hours to complete the job.. not bad considering i'm really not very good at this stuff, but thanks to my buddies Marko and Rob we got it done. Rob is a magician with carbs and Marko is a jack of all trades.

I couldn't thank Sean enuff for going out of his way to make sure i had working carb slides without rips in the diaphragms! On his way to the track saturday morning he met up with me so we could continue working. I think i might have a man-crush on this guy. #nohomo

I'll put up a youtube video of how it sounds soon, thanks for reading!

I LOVE the "new" ride!!! Those shocks are amazing!!!!! I feel like we just purchased a brand new 1st gen VMAX lol!! Great job honey! I can't wait to get back on her!

The new exhaust sound is MEANNNN, its like a bad ass barking sound that rattles your soul! lol

I feel like our ninja's will be neglected the next few weeks =) oh well :D

THANK YOU SEAN!!! WE LOVE YOU!

my dad took it for a ride last nite.. he recently got a 2011 Street Glide, but came back from around the block with a large smile on his face & all he could say was WOW :D

my dad took it for a ride last nite.. he recently got a 2011 Street Glide, but came back from around the block with a large smile on his face & all he could say was WOW :D

The mods look good. Kudos to Sean and your buddies for the help.

Harley people who test ride a Max often have that reaction :)

The mods look good. Kudos to Sean and your buddies for the help.

yup, he'd ridden it a while back when i got it and seemed to think it was a little "badder" this time around lolol

Back